What would you pay for locating (appointment setting)?

RJT

I know this is not the locating section and the mods can feel free to move it if they desire but thought this would be a good section based on this thread.

For anyone that knows me or read my book I have mixed feeling about locators. Not because I don't think they don't have their place but at the end of the day IMO (and experience) the good vending locations are gotten the old fashion way by a owner/sales person knocking on the account door. Trying to get past the gate keepers is hard enough in person much less on the phone. 

So that brings me to the reason I am making this post. I get asked all the time if I do locating and I have always shied away from it because of the reason posted above. However, I do think you can set some appointments by the phone. So my question is would you pay for and what would you pay for solid appointments at decent locations. If certain requirements where met such as type of accounts, employee counts, etc. 

Now, keep in mind I myself would NEVER pay for this service because it is not how I operate or suggest others do it this way. I am more the type to teach a man to fish than give him some fish. However, I do see a need for those that are not comfortable with it. What taught me this lesson is I have been working (in person) with a guy for a few years now and he brings me up about once a quarter to help him sell and knock on doors. He said he hates the knocking part but has no problem if we can get to the proposal stage. I also go with him on the proposal stage and he does great with that but he is not comfortable with the initial contact and getting the appointment.

I also could also write the proposals for another fee if that service is desired. 

So with all that said can you guys give me some feedback. 

I have access to a local guy that locates accounts, I give him a copy of my contract which is a 24 month auto renewing......he goes door to door and he randomly calls me and I pay him 200 to 500 per piece of paper that is signed ...

there is a big risk obviously because it is only a paper, but I have got some really good accounts.....

I have access to a local guy that locates accounts, I give him a copy of my contract which is a 24 month auto renewing......he goes door to door and he randomly calls me and I pay him 200 to 500 per piece of paper that is signed ...

there is a big risk obviously because it is only a paper, but I have got some really good accounts.....

You are lucky to have someone local many do not. I charge $250 per day (for local) no matter if we get an account or not but recently changed that structure a bit based on what accounts we get and other work needed for me to do.

I guess the main question is more about on the phone appointment setting.....

You are lucky to have someone local many do not. I charge $250 per day (for local) no matter if we get an account or not but recently changed that structure a bit based on what accounts we get and other work needed for me to do.

I guess the main question is more about on the phone appointment setting.....

The only way I would pay anything is if:

You set the appointment...

You provide me with the address..

And

I am able to actually talk to someone when I get there...

If those things happen then it might work!   but the cost for just a lead.......... let me think about this for a bit

The only way I would pay anything is if:

You set the appointment...

You provide me with the address..

And

I am able to actually talk to someone when I get there...

If those things happen then it might work!   but the cost for just a lead.......... let me think about this for a bit

Of course all that would be done. It would be a hard lead with an actual appointment (ie, Friday at 3:00 with Mr. Jones) then it would be up to you to "close" the deal. Keep in mind based on your set requirements (ie, type of accounts, number of employees, geographical location etc) it would be a type of account you are wanting.

The problem I see is someone setting their "requirement" way to high. Because it is going to be near impossible to get to a decision maker in large type accounts like colleges, hospitals, large manuf. etc. These type accounts are done the old fashion way by knocking on their door for the most part and not some random telemarketing.  

This type of locating is best suited for small manuf, local schools, hotels, car dealerships, laundry mats, oil change locations, etc. 

I guess another question to you using your current local guy how does that work. Does he go and pre qualify the account then approved by you then contract signed? Do you do a sight assessment first before committing to the account? I am a little confused how the process would work based on how you described it with you paying him if he gets a signed contract. 

Of course all that would be done. It would be a hard lead with an actual appointment (ie, Friday at 3:00 with Mr. Jones) then it would be up to you to "close" the deal. Keep in mind based on your set requirements (ie, type of accounts, number of employees, geographical location etc) it would be a type of account you are wanting.

The problem I see is someone setting their "requirement" way to high. Because it is going to be near impossible to get to a decision maker in large type accounts like colleges, hospitals, large manuf. etc. These type accounts are done the old fashion way by knocking on their door for the most part and not some random telemarketing.  

This type of locating is best suited for small manuf, local schools, hotels, car dealerships, laundry mats, oil change locations, etc. 

I guess another question to you using your current local guy how does that work. Does he go and pre qualify the account then approved by you then contract signed? Do you do a sight assessment first before committing to the account? I am a little confused how the process would work based on how you described it with you paying him if he gets a signed contract. 

I give him my requirements and he goes to those locations and talks to the person in charge and gets the person in charge to sign my contract. Once signed I either sell it or use it.... simple as that,  I use most, I sell some, and some are refusals from the account.... the refusals are either held and I check with them every so often or I send them to a lawyer since it is a signed contract!

I give him my requirements and he goes to those locations and talks to the person in charge and gets the person in charge to sign my contract. Once signed I either sell it or use it.... simple as that,  I use most, I sell some, and some are refusals from the account.... the refusals are either held and I check with them every so often or I send them to a lawyer since it is a signed contract!

Still confused?? So how do you know if you even want to do business with them if you don't actually visit the site? He knows enough about vending to do an proposal and get a contract signed without your direct involvement? How is pricing, equipment and other terms agreed upon?  

What do you mean you sell some off? You sell off the contract/account to another vendor? If so how does that work since the contract was with you and your company? Also how does that go over with the account that thought they where getting you as a vending company? 

If they refuse to let you in after signing a contract you send them to a lawyer? How has that gone for you? I mean you would have to have a pretty solid contract and most times a contract is not valid unless their was "consideration" or something monetary. Usually this plays a part if someone broke a contract after you have already placed equipment or you have special ordered equipment for them. 

I haven't even placed a single machine, but this is a service I would use. My deficits are like that of your client. Getting my foot in the door is the toughest hurdle for me.

What I would offer in terms of a dollar figure probably isn't too important due to my lack of experience, but I would think $25 - $100 just for the appointment isn't out of line (size of company and whether they have an existing vendor would be criteria for actual dollar figure), and even be willing to give a percentage for a fixed period (maybe something like 5% gross for 3 months from the day the machines go in) on the back end if I convert.

Anyone? Here is my thoughts. I was thinking $100 per appointment with half down up front ($50) done in blocks of 5 ($500.00 total cost) no matter the type of accounts or how many machines placed. You pay the remaining $50 once you get the appointments. Keep in mind we would only target the type of accounts you were looking for based on the set requirements once you placed the order. 

Traditionally I have seen where many locators charger per machine located which can get expensive. This way it keeps the cost down and allows you to get a nice account without spending a lot of money. 

What is everyone's thoughts? 

• 1 month later...

Any lead is a good lead in my opinion.  It takes just as much time to pick up the phone and call a large 200 and up company as it does calling on smaller companies. So don't be afraid to do it.  Check the on line websites for contact numbers.  Look for the HR department or Operations Mgr.  Start there.  Sometimes that is easier than the gatekeeper at the smaller locations.

I am confused about a statement about the larger accounts not being set up via a phone call.  You do it the old fashion way of knocking on the door.  In all my years in this business and especially in the past several years doing expansion work with larger vending compaines (Greg if you are on here just in) a phone call has been the calling card for 90% of our new business.  10% comes from referrals.

If we could poke old Greg into jumping into the conversation he could share his years of experience building Rainbow Vending the largest vending company in San Diego, becoming Vendor of the year and one of the nicest guys in this business.  Poke, Poke..sleeping giant.

Also if someone is willing to make the calls you don't want to make then you should jump on the offer by RJT.  It is hard hard work.  Consider it a investment in your business.  

Any lead is a good lead in my opinion.  It takes just as much time to pick up the phone and call a large 200 and up company as it does calling on smaller companies. So don't be afraid to do it.  Check the on line websites for contact numbers.  Look for the HR department or Operations Mgr.  Start there.  Sometimes that is easier than the gatekeeper at the smaller locations.

I am confused about a statement about the larger accounts not being set up via a phone call.  You do it the old fashion way of knocking on the door.  In all my years in this business and especially in the past several years doing expansion work with larger vending compaines (Greg if you are on here just in) a phone call has been the calling card for 90% of our new business.  10% comes from referrals.

If we could poke old Greg into jumping into the conversation he could share his years of experience building Rainbow Vending the largest vending company in San Diego, becoming Vendor of the year and one of the nicest guys in this business.  Poke, Poke..sleeping giant.

Also if someone is willing to make the calls you don't want to make then you should jump on the offer by RJT.  It is hard hard work.  Consider it a investment in your business.  

Bev,

I think maybe I was not clear. Many people using "locators" have been used to getting actual locations (done deals) from them. What I was saying about large accounts is usually I have never seen a deal done only over the phone. Yes, you can get appointments but not get an actual location commitment over the phone.  

That is the truth...with those large accounts it is a long process which you have to be very detailed and patient before they pull the trigger.  I am sure you know the dance.  When you work with those accounts you really need to be lined up with the larger vendors with all of the bells and whistles.  If you put a smaller vendor in and they can't keep up with the demands...well you know the feeling.

Archived