in this case should i buy new?

m815

hi everyone,

my fiance's work has about 35 employees.  currently, there is a vendor who operators a soda machine and a snack machine.  right now they have a pepsi machine (based on the outside and google comparsion, i believe its a dixie narco dn501e soda machine serving cans).  

to be more specific, it serves: 2 pepsi, 2 mtn dew, 2 code red dew, another dew flavor, a&w root beer, cherry pepsi, ocean spray oj, blue gatorade, red gatorade.  sodas are .60c/ea fyi.

the snack machine is an older model, 4 wide display, 7 columns (bottom is gum).  every week i guess there is an issue with one or both of the machines... selections will be out for a long time, bill acceptor will be down, someone buys a starburst and they are rockhard, entire machine is down/not cold, non stop.  

anyway, the boss is very good friends with us and told do not have a contract with the vendor.  they are sick of the employees complaining and just want them to be happy.  some dont even use the machine because they prefer coke over pepsi.  the boss said if i want the location, its mine.

so... ive been doing some research.  my fiance is one of a few as well, who does not bring cash with them to work... so her and a friend if they want something to drink will leave and go to the store to get something.  quite often, shop people leave to go and get energy drinks.

i realize buying used may be cheaper... but im wondering if it may make sense to buy new?  i took a tour of seaga's plant today (im located outside of the manufacturing plant) and am considering the INF5C with a credit card reader.  the total OTD price i am able to buy it for is $4269 including the card reader.  of course there is an additional monthly fee of $8/mo but what is kind of nice is it will tell me total sales of the machine cash, coin, or card swipe.  

this particular machine is a combo, so the bottom row can be setup for drinks and the upper setup can be chips and such.  i'm wondering if it is a smart investment to make to buy new so i have this built in inventory option (dont have to ask wife to check machine/boss doesnt have to worry about it either), dont have to worry about bill acceptor messing up, 12mo warranty, no comission split... all mine.  considering putting this on my CC, company has been around 15 years... they arent going anywhere so the account could and would always be mine.  she car pools with a friend but once a week i drive out to have dinner with her (which on that day, im thinking i could easily stock the machine).  this would also keep my product from expiring too fast).  locally manufacturered means (in theory) can gets parts quicker.  

i guess my thinking is i dont want to buy used machines and be just as bad of a vendor as the previous guy.  also, i would sell energy drinks which he is not.

thoughts?

ps, i should also mention the break room is large and i can put in as many machines as i want.

have looked at used soda machines on craigslist, saw a couple in the $500/range nothing fancy.

35 employees is not a good vending account and Seaga is one of the worst companies to get machines from.  Spend A LOT of time reading posts in this forum and search for terms you thing will answer your questions before you jump into something.  A single used soda machine and single used snack will be sufficient and maybe overkill for this number of employees and that is probably why you are hearing of unhappy people.  Many vendors get discouraged with low sales from accounts like this and then provide poor service to them.  While someone like you would give much better service you will probably not get very much more money out of it by doing so.  Again, read as much as you can here to get an idea of what you might expect with this account and by only service two machines total.  It's not as easy as it looks.

hi everyone,

my fiance's work has about 35 employees.  currently, there is a vendor who operators a soda machine and a snack machine.  right now they have a pepsi machine (based on the outside and google comparsion, i believe its a dixie narco dn501e soda machine serving cans).  

to be more specific, it serves: 2 pepsi, 2 mtn dew, 2 code red dew, another dew flavor, a&w root beer, cherry pepsi, ocean spray oj, blue gatorade, red gatorade.  sodas are .60c/ea fyi.

the snack machine is an older model, 4 wide display, 7 columns (bottom is gum).  every week i guess there is an issue with one or both of the machines... selections will be out for a long time, bill acceptor will be down, someone buys a starburst and they are rockhard, entire machine is down/not cold, non stop.  

anyway, the boss is very good friends with us and told do not have a contract with the vendor.  they are sick of the employees complaining and just want them to be happy.  some dont even use the machine because they prefer coke over pepsi.  the boss said if i want the location, its mine.

so... ive been doing some research.  my fiance is one of a few as well, who does not bring cash with them to work... so her and a friend if they want something to drink will leave and go to the store to get something.  quite often, shop people leave to go and get energy drinks.

i realize buying used may be cheaper... but im wondering if it may make sense to buy new?  i took a tour of seaga's plant today (im located outside of the manufacturing plant) and am considering the INF5C with a credit card reader.  the total OTD price i am able to buy it for is $4269 including the card reader.  of course there is an additional monthly fee of $8/mo but what is kind of nice is it will tell me total sales of the machine cash, coin, or card swipe.  

this particular machine is a combo, so the bottom row can be setup for drinks and the upper setup can be chips and such.  i'm wondering if it is a smart investment to make to buy new so i have this built in inventory option (dont have to ask wife to check machine/boss doesnt have to worry about it either), dont have to worry about bill acceptor messing up, 12mo warranty, no comission split... all mine.  considering putting this on my CC, company has been around 15 years... they arent going anywhere so the account could and would always be mine.  she car pools with a friend but once a week i drive out to have dinner with her (which on that day, im thinking i could easily stock the machine).  this would also keep my product from expiring too fast).  locally manufacturered means (in theory) can gets parts quicker.  

i guess my thinking is i dont want to buy used machines and be just as bad of a vendor as the previous guy.  also, i would sell energy drinks which he is not.

thoughts?

ps, i should also mention the break room is large and i can put in as many machines as i want.

have looked at used soda machines on craigslist, saw a couple in the $500/range nothing fancy.

At 60 cents a soda and only 35 employees there, I wouldn't be looking for any machines for this account,  It sounds like a complete loser and the current vendor has given up out of frustration.

At 60 cents a soda and only 35 employees there, I wouldn't be looking for any machines for this account,  It sounds like a complete loser and the current vendor has given up out of frustration.

This^^^^^^ 

Not worth the price or effort to mess with it. 

It might be worth a Honor box and honor fridge but that is about it. 

Archived