Power Switch for Florescent Lights

On a USI 3037 (CD-B) there is a power switch to turn the machine on and off on the lower left corner of the outer door.  Is there a way to modify the machine for a similar or even the existing switch to leave the vending functions alone and just control the lights?  I'm thinking there has to be a way to add a switch before the balast I just don't see the wires leading there.  The machine is in my shop/mancave so obviously the lights are not needed on all the time so for now I just have the bulbs out of the machine.  Even better is there a universal motion sensor for these machines?

On a lot of the older USI's the power for the light comes directly of the control board; I have had problems because a bad bulb can backfeed errors into the board.  That may not be your setup.  There is a product called Vendingmiser that provides a motion sensor to reduce power consuption, but it is probably an expensive solution for your situation.  If this is your personal setup maybe install a separate light fixture and switch that you can control without breaking the bank....

Incorrect.  The wiring for a light bulb is always a separate circuit in the machine from any on the logic board.  Lights are never controlled by the logic board unless there is a light-switching relay activated by the board.  This is only in newer soda machines.  In the CD machines there is a light ballast and all you need for control of the lights is to introduce a switch into one of the two 110v wires feeding into the ballast.

Archived