One more thermostat ?

nrod7

If you turn the thermostat from 12 o'clock clock wise and the compressor kicks in,  does that insure that the thermostat is working properly?

Can it still be defective?

Thanks,

nrod7

The machine is a royal 804.   If you turn the thermostat from 12 o'clock clock wise and the compressor kicks in,  does that insure that the thermostat is working properly?

Can it still be defective?

Thanks,

nrod7

Thanks for the reply.  Man, this site and its members are the greatest.

This machine is out in the elements, it sits outside a trailer at the entrance of a Chemical plant.

I was asked to make vend the can drinks a bit colder.  I turned up the thermostat from 4 to 7 last week.  Today, I returned to check the machine.  I also brought a new thermostat.

What I found was that the product was cold, but the top of the reefer was frozen, and of course the frost line.    I decided to change the thermostat, no problems installing.  I allowed

the machine to defrost  ( defrosted quickly with thermostat at the fan only setting).  Will go back to check the machine in 2 days.

Have you ran across a thermostat like this one.

When I took a good look at the thermostat I removed, the face place was marked counter clock wise to reach a colder setting.  

Thanks,

nrod7

Thermostats must be set no higher than 3 1/2 from the zero position. The themostat should always turn the compressor off when turned CCW to zero. If you get frozen product at 3 1/2 then your thermostat is bad. If the compressor only runs a short time before turning off then the thermostat is short cycling and is bad. The fact that you had it set too high and it didn't freeze product but instead got ice on the evaporator means you have low freon and the compressor needs to be recharged.

Wherever your themostat is when the compressor turns off is your zero point. Turn it to 3 1/2 from there cor the proper setting. A good question is whether you used an actual Royal thermostat. Anything else won't give you enough capillary tube length to get a few inches of it into the tube behind the evaporator. If the wrong thermostat is used it will throw the cooling off, but I still think you have low freon.

Thanks for the information.  I was unaware about the tube behind the evaporator.  Do Dixie Narcos have the same tube?

Also,  When I bought the machine the thermostat was secured to the machine, it was just set one the deck.  Is it missing a bracket to mount the thermostat to the

machine?

Respectfully,

nrod7

Older DNs have the same tube though it is accessed from the right side as that's the side that DN mounted their thermostats to.  Royal mounted theirs on the left side and then had a longer tube than the DNs routed behind the evaporator into the tube for that purpose.  The Royal cap tubes had to be longer because the condenser is still shifted to the right side of the cabinet so there is a further distance that the Royal cap tubes have to span than the DN tubes.  Later DN machines use a clip in capillary tube that runs to the back of the cabinet and clips into a slot of the rear evaporator air plenum. 

The thing with your Royal 804 is that is should have an electronic temperature sensor with the temperature read by the logic board which then energizes a refrigeration relay to start the compressor.  Your saying that the thermostat was "secured to the machine" and "was set one to the deck" doesn't make sense to me.  What do you mean by that.  Royal machines with factory mechanical thermostats had a bracket mounted to the left wall that the thermostat was mounted to.  I have a feeling that someone bypassed the factory temp sensor and installed a mechanical thermostat which the machine isn't designed for.  Maybe you can post a photo of the thermostat so that I can see the capillary tube.  Some cap tubes, like those in Rowe 448 cold foods or Vendo cans sodas, are designed to have the cap tube in the airflow through the evaporator.  These are called "non-contact thermostats."  Without seeing your entire capillary tube it's impossible to say what you have.

As AZVendor said these Royals all have a electronic type temp reader on back on wall of airflow.

It plugs into logic board for machine.

If their is a thermostat with tube laying on floor of evaporator deck then somebody put it there.

Trying to fix it cheaply!

cajun

Yea, my bad.  Typo, the thermostat is not secured to the machine. Set on deck. 

I do believe you are right. An attempt to a cheap fix.  Sadly, I have another Royal 804 with the same thermostat sitting on the deck,  How about a snap shot on how the thermostat should be mounted?

If it comes down to pulling the deck for service, I will be there to take notice of the tube or clip for the capillary tube.  I will be sure to ask my compressor guy about the original set up for the Royal 804.

Gratefully,

nrod7

Archived