Mold-A-Rama

The Mage

Recent mentions of old machines got me thinking about a machine I remember from when I was a child, and took a trip to Disney World. (1976 I think.) I cannot remember where we stopped, but my Parents bought my Brother and Me these hot wax figures that were made in a vending machine. I remember getting an elephant, and thinking I wanted a different animal.

This is the type of machine here, though I do not remember much of it:

old%20moldarama.jpg

I was surprised to find they are still in use, but I don't remember it only being a quarter, even in the mid 70's. 

Does make me wonder when the first 3D printer vending machine will come out.

The problem with 3D printing vending is that the time it takes goes from "novelty" territory like the cotton candy machine's 3 or so minutes into "can watch all the Star Wars movies" territory. And trust me, after the novelty of the first ten minutes passes it will be like watching grass grow... Hell some bamboo probably grows faster. And you have to put that much plastic down, so you can't increase speed too much without making the resolution go toshit or having molten plastic flying out at Mach 1...

These machines above took forever, and yes I see there being a limit to who would buy one, and where they would put it, but I still think somebody will come out with one. The injection molding machines above seemed to take awhile, and are currently found in zoo's and museums. 

I see speed increases coming up. There is one video out (MIT) showing a little Eiffel Tower printed in 6 minutes. Still a long time, but an improvement. (Stereo lithography, using a liquid resin, and lasers.) I'm certain as technology improves, and they have tested and created more materials, both the time and price will drop. But once a machine like this does come out, it will be a sign that we are just a couple years away from those machines becoming a standard home product.

Archived