The Old Rancher & The IRS

CajunCandy

An old rancher had a small ranch that he worked for many many years. Then one year, the IRS claimed that he was not paying proper wages to his workers and sent an agent out to interview him.

"I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them," demanded the IRS agent.

"Well," replied the rancher, "There's my ranch hand who has been with me for about 3 years. I pay him $600 a week plus free room and board."

"Any others?" asked the agent.

"Well, the cook has been here for 18 months ever since my wife passed away. I pay her $500 a week plus free room and board." answered the old rancher.

"Is that everyone? You realize that making false statements to the IRS can mean a fine, jail time, or a confiscation of your land and equipment!" said the IRS agent trying to intimidate the old rancher.

"Well," thought the old rancher, "there's the half-wit who works about 18 hours every day and does about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week, pays his own room and board and I buy him a glass or two of bourbon every Saturday night as a reward."

"That's the guy! I want to talk to the half-wit!" demanded the agent.

"That would be me," replied old rancher.

Archived