The BEST Excuses.....

bbeckl

we all know the honor box gig is a tough one. boxes getting stolen, ripped open, high theft, high turnover of locations, so on. recently, we added 350 locations to our route. as excited as i was (and still am) to do this, i failed to realized that along that all of the good that was bound to come with building a route, the bad things would also multiply. one of my favorite things that i honestly find pretty amusing is some of the things people do to these poor little boxes, and some of the excuses they come up with for not wanting them anymore. before i head out for the day, i just wanted to share a few that made me smile.

some of the best reasons ive heard for not wanting the box anymore:

we cant have it anymore. when we shred the food, the food goes in the box.... (uuuh...move it?)

the kids steal ( those poor kids...blamed for everything! even in a bar :rolleyes: )

we have ants

we dont have the room (as they motion towards the empty 10x3 countertop)

people dont pay (this is ALWAYS in places that have less than 5% theft)

you have a pretty nice car for working for a charity, there are some red flags (im in the market for a mid 80s chevy citation, preferabbly one that smokes, and backfires. if you have one, pm me.)

it just doesnt get used much (as they pull it out of a closet. they usually dont see much action in a closet)

and the best excuse that ive ever heard to date?? 

ive had cancer. cancer loves sugar, and i just dont feel comfortable supporting a company that promotes people with cancer eating something thats going to make their disease worse. 

so, as youre out running your route, and hearing all the funny excuses, seeing all the loss, and feel like the world is against you, just remember, its probably not just you. also remember, there's probably a really good location right next door, or down the street. good luck everyone! 

I don't run honor boxes myself, but...

A friend of mine works for a local credit union, and they had lolipop boxes for the longest time. When they disappeared, I asked him where they had gone. "Policy" he said. I figured the credit union had just ditched the boxes for sight lines or something else of that nature, but he continued: "Some people were upset that they didn't have sugar-free lollipops for diabetic members. The manager didn't want to "offend" them, so they asked the vendor to remove the boxes."

I've no reason to doubt his story, but at the same time I want to believe that we still live in a world where people aren't so frail as to be "offended" by "regular sugar" lollipops... :wacko:

• 4 months later...

Archived