PAINTING NORTHWESTERN M60s

ROGERS VENDING

Jessee, I understand the buyer’s remorse here, but I still think you got a decent deal. Consider that 76 heads scratch-and-dent @ $45 = $3420, 36 pipe stands @ $30 = $1080, 36 double plates @ $7 = $252, 1 J-Stand @ $80 and 3 Tripleplays @ $220 = $660. This is a grand total of at least $5492 (new) before shipping costs. So $1580 for all of that is not too bad IMO. To answer your questions…

Q1. Yellow tends to not hold up as well over time especially in industrial or automotive locations. I would consider black or red for some of them if you re-painting them. Before any painting, I would first clean up with a regular cleaner/water and then segregate the acceptable ones from the unacceptable ones. The acceptable ones could be placed in break rooms where the paint is still a bit dull. Also consider hiring a handyman or an outfit that does powder coating – with this economy there may be some cheap prices or labor out there.

Q2. No and No!

Q3. Naval Jelly can help remove rust from hard to get places.

Q4. Brasso is a good crome polish but will not remove major scratches.

Also consider Plastix to help restore the plastic globes. Also consider placing Grippers under each stand base to cut back on rust marks on your location’s floors.

The work is not hard, just a bit tedious. Also test each coin mech and if some don’t turn smoothly then I would clean and re-lubricate them with Liquid Wrench or WD40. You will be fine, just take it one machine at a time and soon you have 10 or 20 ready to go. I went through the same exercise 4 years ago and restored 90+ NW machines that I got for $15 each up in Carolina. Good luck with them and of course find some locations to put them in as well!

Jax

JAX,

Thanks for the encouragement and tips.  I'm glad I found this message board!

Did you get the Model-60s or the Super-60s?  Do the Model 60s look professional enough for nice places?  Something about them seems kind of funny.  I guess I'm used to seeing the Super 60s at most locations.  These are Model 60s, so I'm a little worried.  Of course, I'm sure with some paint, etc they will look much better.

Where do you get grippers?

Cheers,

Jesse

I only use Super 60's since they are cheaper to buy and have more capacity. I see nothing wrong with the original 60 other than it holds less product and the globes are usually made of glass - so be careful, I have broken a few. Some vendors don't like the "square-ness" looking NW60 globes and would prefer a round globe like a Beaver for those "upscale" places. But I think that is a matter of opinion and personal preference. I have many NW60's in "high class" lobbies and have never been told to remove it because of it's "square-ness" look. You can get Grippers at Lowes or Wal-Mart.

Jax

The model 60s just look... well, I stopped by my parents house this weekend... mom says they look "cute".:?  Don't know if that's good or bad.

I didn't realize the Super 60s are cheaper.  And yes, the glass scares me too!

Is it just me or do the Oak machines look better than Northwestern. I realize you can't match the NW mechanism, though Oak is fairly good, but the vendor at my work has some decent looking Oak machines.  The one thing I've noticed about his Oaks (and a few others I've observed in businesses) is that customers turn the handles too far when vending.  They are able to keep turning the handle and vend all the product with one quarter. Is this a problem with all candy machines? 

They are able to keep turning the handle and vend all the product with one quarter. Is this a problem with all candy machines? 

this is a problem with how the wheel is set.it is off,re adjust it so the tooth thats marked red (in most case) fits in the gear from the coin mech.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I posted a new resoration thread because I couldn't find this one... Anyways, this restoration is going to take a while.  I'm going to paint 5 or 6 at a time to keep from ripping my head off in frustration. 

I'm sanding any rust, scratches, etc and painting a Rustoleum red right on top of the yellow.  Then I'm using a Metal Speck paint ($10.50 per can) that's somewhat like Metalflake in that it leaves a glitter look to it. It's not as good as Metalflake but a cheaper alternative (unless someone knows how to get Metalflake for this price).  I'm spraying a light coat of the glitter paint on top of the Rustoleum.

When should I bake and for how long?  I can do this in my oven, correct?  Is this unnecessary or will baking make it last much longer?

My other dilemma:

On the Northwestern Triple Plays, I'm unable to remove the long plastic piece that the candy wheels sit on.  It will lift up but not all the way out of the machine.  What's the best way to clean it?  Use Simple Green on it and wash the wheels in the dishwasher??

Thanks,

Jesse

Jesse

Sounds like you have a good bit of work ahead of you.   You should have some nice looking machines when you're done though. How about giving us some before and after pics?

As far as the baking goes, I think that's only done when powdercoating. The paint is applied electrostatically in powder form and then it has to be put in an oven to finish the process.  I could be wrong but I've never heard of baking after applying spray paint.   Anyone else have any info on spraypainting and baking?

Ernie

Yeah, that's what I thought... These people that work for Home Depot don't know squat.  I've gone against everything any has told me so far.

I'm going to try to give you guys a before and after pic. 

I've got some blue machines.  I was going to spray paint over in the blue Metal Speck and turn them into Dentyne Ice machines.  Good idea or not?  Would I use the DI gum wheel or should I go with capsules in a Northwestern wheel?  Have they solved the jamming issue with DI?  How much extra to capsule?  I'm not looking to service my mahines all the time because of jamming.

Refurbing machines can seem like an endless process, but keep grinding it out, you will get it done and you will get them out on location.  :)

Just stay positive as much as you can and take it one step at a time.  You seem to be starting to go in different directions, just focus on the tasks at hand right now and keep working at it.

• 2 weeks later...