A couple questions

AngryChris

I am having some problems with a Vendo 511 (5.1b board) and a Royal 552-8 (5.11 board).

The Vendo  511 pretty much developed a dead short in it.  I already told the location that I will pick the machines up anyway as the sales are poor, so I have no rush to fix this machine.  Here's what originally happened.  A few weeks ago, a note on the machine said that the machine was exact change only.  I messed with the coin mech and inadvertently messed up the board apparently because I had unplugged the refrigeration deck instead of the electronics I guess.  I am relatively unfamiliar with the 511.  So, when I tried to get it to take bills or coins, I had no luck at all.  I replaced the bill acceptor and got it to take bills but no coins.  Then, everything said "make another selection".  After changing out the board and getting back to square one (validator worked, selections vended, etc..) I STILL had problems with the coin mech.  Finally, I changed out the coin mech today and, upon plugging the machine back in, it immediately tripped the breaker and I could hear a faint snap/thud as if something had shorted in the machine.  I couldn't tell what it was.  After unplugging the mech and resetting the breaker, the machine shorted again.  I have no idea what would cause that or if maybe there's a bad power cord even.  I asked the guys who worked there and they said that machine ALWAYS had problems before I took over the location.  Coincidentally, there is a Pepsi-operated machine outside their building with about 8 employees so... needless to say, I want to pick this machine up.  I'm really just looking for some rough ideas before I get this machine dropped off at my place.  By the way, the machine currently has a 9302-L and a mars 2511.  A little odd combination like many of my Royal 2000 series machines but that's what is in there.

The Royal 552 has a problem that I have dealt with before but I have never been able to fully fix.  Here's what it does:  When I arrive at the location, the Mag validator (I am assuming it is a Mag30b but I didn't check) was flashing on the front as it normally would but the machine would not make any attempt to take bills.  I noticed the display was not lit at all (showing the price) so I put change into the machine and it TOOK the change but nothing was displayed.  I couldn't hit the coin return, I couldn't make a selection, etc..  It's very weird.  I'm not sure if this is a potential coin mech problem though.  Simply restarting the machine cures this problem but only temporarily until it happens again.  The last time this happened, I seemed to have fixed the problem by changing out the coin mech and validator as well as making sure the wires (going to what appears to be a transformer near the cooling deck) were snug as they had actually gotten loose.  It's almost impossible for me to determine if I actually fixed the problem there because it happened one more time later on, but has stopped since the machine was moved.  What might cause these identical model Royals to suddenly stop functioning?  I am assuming it's a control board more than anything.  On either examples, it seems as though the machine simply froze up when money was inserted.  Almost everyone that mentioned these problems usually happen while they insert money.

On the 511:

Just a guess because I don't work on Vendos very much, but you may have put the wrong coin mech in there.  I think that machine has a 15 pin coin mech plug, for either a 12 pin 110 volt coin mech or a 15 pin 24 volt coin mech.  While either voltage can be used on that plug if you have the exact combination of pin and voltage I just mentioned, you can't reverse the combinations, i.e. use a 12 pin 24 volt changer, which is what the 9302-L is.  If I am right about that plug, then your coin mech exploded internally when you put power into the machine; your main board may have damage as well, which could be causing the breaker to trip.  I would unplug all major components from power (transformer, control board, lights, compressor deck, etc, then plug things back in one by one and find out what is tripping the breaker.  

On the 552:

I would try a coin mech first before you do anything else.  Some models of mechs can have failures where they stop giving credit even though it accepts the coin, and a failing coin mech can cause other board problems, as well as not enabling the validator.  Also, on the Mag validators, the green landing lights are not important, they're on all the time if the validator has power.  The red light on the back of the validator tells you if and what problem you are having.

Thanks for that reply.  I suppose it's possible that I put the wrong mech in the 511 but there truly was a 9302-L in there before I swapped it out.  So, unless there is a 15-pin 9302-L, then I swapped the existing 9302-L (which worked but wouldn't dispense quarters) with a 12-pin 9302-L.  I know for a fact that the last 9302-L I put in there was 12 pins.  I plan on doing as you mentioned with the machine and try to see what's tripping the breaker.  It did appear that the machine had a 15-pin plug but various machines are like that and still take a 12-pin plug.   I'll also change coin mechs on the Royal but I used up all of my 24 volt coin mechs on the vendo!!

If you have a mech that is marked as a 9302L but has a 15 pin harness then the original 12 pin was changed for a 15 pin which is a simple swap and changes the model number whether the label was changed to LF or not.  The 12 and 15 pin harnesses are interchangeable on the Coinco 24v mechs.

The 9302-L is the 12 pin, the 9302-LF is a 15 pin.  A lot of times, people miss the extra letter, but it's critically important!  And yes, someone could have switched the harness and not re-labeled the coin mech.  I see it all the time. 

Machines with a 15 pin coin mech plug can take a 12 pin mech, but they generally have to be 110 volts if you're going to use a 12 pin mech.  There are no 15 pin 110 volt mechs, but there are a lot of 12 pin 24 volt mechs, so you have to be very careful when interchanging them. 

Archived