Work from home or Commerical space?

nam

My dishwasher is full of cannisters.  The kitchen table and dining room table are both covered in vending supplies and we're eating pizza as there's no room to cook or sit down and have dinner anymore.  Our house is looking more like a warehouse/office than where we used to live.  I know it's worse right now because we are just starting out but running out of room.  How many of you have made the switch to leasing a commerical space for your business?

nam

I would say most of us work out of our home. Some have storage type units but that adds more cost to the business. I prefer to have the machines right there where I can see them. If I need one then I can grab it and go. The other reason is out of sight & out of mind. If they are in your way it will encourage you to get them located and making money.

Keep with it at your house, that should give you more motivation to locate all the machines and fix and prep parts and supplies faster.  Make it a "sweat equity" thing where you are building up your business "equity" by cleaning ("fixing up") your house by getting all the machines out of there.

At this stage in my business, 2 1/2 going on 3 years in, finally, I have a garage bay at home and a second one I share with a friend who races cars.  Total cost for storage:  $125/month to my friend.  I now am capable of getting cargo van-loads of deals and will have space for them, so I can then focus on cleaning/prepping/filling/etc. to get them ready for location.

When you are just starting, always aim to keep overhead as low as possible. 

If you are just starting out, it is way too early to get storage space.  That is, unless you purchased 100+ units ore something like that.  The most I've ever had was 15 single machines sent to me at one time.  I did have a separate storage unit, but that was for most of my household goods that I couldn't get into my apartment.  Now that I have a house and garage, my stuff just stays in the garage.

You have to be very careful about adding unnecessary expenses starting out until you cash flow is high enough you can splurge on extras. We kept all expenses ultra low to reinvest into the business. Only now after 5 years are we starting to splurge a little more on services and office equipment. I am fortunate my dad made up a warehouse for us, but when we started with 600 machines we ran everything from our home where I had a designated room.

One thing that really helped was to buy large tubs with lids to store candy and gum in so at least I could stack things in a corner and my wife wouldn't run me off.

Good luck!

Mark

nam,

From what I pick up, the very first thing you need to do is get organized. You can not run a bulk vending business and have things scattered everywhere. If you are not a organized person, you will find out how to become one very fast.

You can find a space out of the way to call your own. It should not be in normal traffic areas and your family/friends should not have access to it in a family type setting. If people can go through your things, then you are going to have a hard time keeping things in order.

So to answer your question: NO. You will not be able to afford the commercial space for quite some time. You must make room for your business.

Kyle

I have one machine in the main living area. My wife was ok with that. It is there to motivate me to locate it. I have a designated room as someone else mentioned. It is my office. My radio room. My files are kept there. My machines are kept there. The ones that are ready to locate or being worked on.

The ones that I just bought (19 U-Turns) will stay in the boxes in our weather proof concession trailer until I can get to them. That has to be done this year as I am supposed to be getting it ready to go also. LOL.

nam wrote:

Wow Johnny,

Looks great!

You must have a cleaning lady come in and clean once a week. Where's all those Shootin Hoops?

nam

Cleaning lady?.....LOL. That would be me with a skirt on once a week......lol. All the Hoops machines are in a separate storage unit nam.