Vendo 721 has ice on.....

I have seen almost any typical scenario when it comes to drink machines, and some you haven't. I service my owne and do most other repairs aside from charging a unit. This particular case is different. The ice is the size and shape of a baseball. It has been doing this for a few months now. The other times I have seen ice on the tubes, the system quits cooling shortly after. Thanks for the poor judgment.

Ice, as you describe, is probably the single most common cooling-related symptom that I probably ever see, but maybe that's just me.. and the solution is almost always to get the unit recharged.  Aside from that, seeing ice completely across the evaporator is rather uncommon and it's usually a bad evaporator fan or motor, but it can also be caused by an air restriction.

Still, what you describe sounds pretty common to me, except my units usually last for anywhere from 6 months to 1 year before either the ice gets too big and needs to be defrosted or the unit stops cooling entirely.  And frankly... the size of a baseball is usually the first thing I see.  The general symptom I could give you is that I notice the cans near the top of the cabinet aren't that cold, which draws my attention toward the deck as the air often feels a bit more humid.. it's hard to explain the feeling though.  Once I look down at the deck, I'll often notice a ball of ice typically on the upper right side of the evaporator.  That ball of ice is never small... in fact, the size of a baseball sounds about right.  I'm sure that ambient humidity is a factor as to the size of the ice but the symptoms remain pretty much the same.  I don't know what other problems you would run into that are more common than a deck that's low on refrigerant though.  Changing out condenser fan motors isn't too common for me.  Changing evaporator fans is pretty rare.  Having a restriction in the lines is uncommon.  Having an air restriction is pretty common but very easily resolved in most cases.  And a thermostat issue is pretty uncommon as well.. but it's technically not part of the closed refrigeration system anyway.  I just don't know what's more common than decks that are low.  I mean, having a leak is a common issue, but the real issue is how big is the leak.  If anything, it sounds like your decks are leaking faster than what I am used to seeing.

Some of the responses I see are hilarious. Leaks have to be repaired if it has to be recharged once a year. Just for humor, I ran across this video on YouTube and just couldn't stop the laughter. So many things wrong here. At least 10 or more.

Archived