Evaporator coils freezing up immediately...

JDGravina

I have a Dixie Narco 276. Bought a refurbished refrigeration deck a year ago. Everything worked well until one day it wasn't cold and the evaporator coils were a block of ice. I thought maybe it was because it had gotten pretty humid, and maybe my buddy didn't get the door sealed when he opened it up to get a beer! I adjusted the cut in and cut out screws on the thermostat, defrosted the entire thing, and tried it again. It was frozen up 2 days later. 

After trying a few simple things. The interesting thing is it seems to start to ice up IMMEDIATELY on the top right side where the tubing goes into the coils. Does that give any hints about the culprit? I'm guessing low on freon but before I bring someone out I want to make sure. I'm guessing if it was a air flow problem it would take a little longer to freeze up?

I've attached a picture of the ice forming after only a few MINUTES of being on. 

IMG_4674.JPG

The immediate icing of the freon line at the top right of the evaporator is normal at all times.  This is where the liquid freon begins to expand into a gas which results in what's called a frost line.  Every machine should have one.  If you then progress to ice across the top of the evaporator and then growing down the evaporator you either have a large air leak or condensate not draining from the cabinet or low freon.  

If it's low freon and you've had the unit for only a year then the leak should be fairly easy to find.

Archived