Crane 797 cooling issue

Javaman

Hi 

i have a problem with Crane 797 configured with the cooled food section in the base.  I am getting a temperature error and the unit doesnt seem to be making a lot of cold air althought it is cooling a bit.   The fan is working and the condenser appears clean?  What should i check?

if i want to,,,,can i disconnect the compressor from the circuit and just vend uncooled products in this section?   Like just unplug the compressor if possible?  I might not want to fix the cooling because of financial issues but i want to keep the cooled section working and just put products that dont need refrigeration.

thanks

Nope.  Because it's a food module you will always have a health safety sensor error if it's not cold.  This sounds like the evaporator is frozen, which you can't see.  You should turn the machine off for a day to defrost and then see if it cools after that.  If not then it needs freon added.  I was going to say that you should sell the machine and put a snack in its place until I realized you said it was a food module.  No one who knows anything in vending will want it so you're kind of stuck now.

There was water on the floor after unplugging the machine for 24hours so the evaporator was frozen.  Why would this happen?  If it was lack of freon would it freeze like that? I have restarted the machine and will check if it starts cooling properly.

thanks

javaman

The cause of a frozen evaporator is likely an air leak which can easily happen on that machine because the entire glass food door is opened on each vend.  That glass door is probably not sealing properly.  And yes, low freon can cause the evaporator to freeze over time.

• 2 weeks later...

The evaporator was frozen and I thawed it out and it was cooling normally again but the diagnostics still  show a temperature error @ 67 degrees and when a selection is chosen the display shows “make anothe selection”. Could it be that there is a faulty temp sensor causing the food section to think the temp is high when in fact it is not????

I dont think there is an air seal problem because the seal appears fine.  And the temp in the unit is fridge like.  How can i measure the temp from the control panel?

javaman

Put a refrigerator thermometer in it so you can see it with the door closed and see how far it's off from the display.  It could be that your temp sensor is bad causing the compressor to run endlessly which would not only freeze your products but your evaporator too.

now i have a prblem with a can unit 797! i dethawed this unit as well and it started freezing cans...i went to set the temp in supervisor mode and it only allowed me to go to 33 degrees ? why would i not be able to set it higber? like 38 dwvrees to avoid freezing?

I have checked and it is set to cans setup.  The compressor seems to run on without shutoff as the . (Period) after the temp reading is always present. The temp is read by pressing the # selection on the keypad with machine closed.   I have purchased a replacement part number 464-4008 triac board which should shut off the compresor after temp is reached.  Any comments?  It has to be a defective relay which is what this board is essentially.

Javaman

Archived