Weather question again

hope4honor

I am doing mints and small chocolate in my boxes. I currently get home, drag all boxes i swapped to basement. Refill. Drag up next day and out to SUV. 

I have an AttaCHED non heated garage. I suspect it typically hovers about 10 degrees higher then outside air. 

If it is 30 degrees outside and perhaps 40 in the garage will that make candy funky if sits a few days?  At what outside degree temperature am i risking damage?

i think it would be cost prohibitive to heat garage even with a small (especially) space heater. Do u think a heavy comforter draped over the boxes would solve my issue?

pls advise. 

A cool or cold garage will not hurt the chocolate.  In fact, it's best to keep it in a cooler climate.  Heat would be something to worry about.  Chocolate will melt in the heat, and milk chocolate will turn white (that's the sugar and milk separating).  A 40F degree garage would be just fine.  No need for a space heater.  Save yourself some extra work and work out of the garage.  What state and how far north are you?  

9 hours ago, orsd said:

If you take the cold chocolate and place it into a warm area, it will ruin it.

Only if it melts.  Cold chocolate slowly thawing to room temperature will not hurt the chocolate at all.  Milk chocolate will turn white when it melts and re-hardens.  The milk and sugar separate, causing the chocolate to discolor and look old. Butterfinger and Baby Ruth are synthetic chocolate and won't discolor when it melts (that's why many vendors still run them through out the Summer months).  Many candy companies and distributors ship their products on refrigerated reefer trucks.  You just want to avoid going from extreme cold to immediately extreme heat.  Just my 2 cents. :)

1 hour ago, orsd said:

It's the condensation that forms on the cold bar, which dissolves the sugar and brings it to the surface.

Yes, you are correct!  And heat causes the cocoa butter to rise to the top which gives the chocolate that white or tan chalky look.   If the candy is in a sealed package and boxed, condensation will be minimal.  Ideally, chocolate should be stored in an environment of 65-70 degrees.  But it is the loose packaged or delicate chocolates that are most susceptible to damage.  The common candy bar in it's package and boxed should not react to the cooler temperature, but definitely will react to the much warmer temperatures that would cause melting.  I totally agree that temperature-controlled storage is best, but in 25 years, I have not experienced a problem with sugar "bloom" with candy bars kept in a cooler climate (not freezing, mind you) that comes from the condensation, because the packaging manages to prevent it.  The cocoa butter "bloom" seems to be more common since melting makes the chocolate more temperamental.  But I can only speak of my experience.  Just don't load cool climate chocolate into a waiting heat-filled car.  Then yes, you will have problems. :)

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2017 at 10:55 AM, flintflash said:

Only if it melts.  Cold chocolate slowly thawing to room temperature will not hurt the chocolate at all.  Milk chocolate will turn white when it melts and re-hardens.  The milk and sugar separate, causing the chocolate to discolor and look old. Butterfinger and Baby Ruth are synthetic chocolate and won't discolor when it melts (that's why many vendors still run them through out the Summer months).  Many candy companies and distributors ship their products on refrigerated reefer trucks.  You just want to avoid going from extreme cold to immediately extreme heat.  Just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks for the knowledge flint flash! I had some candy bars I placed in an honor box that I had got from one of my machines down in Ohio. It didn't sell so I thought I would try my luck elsewhere. I didn't know that it would turn white. It was a chunky bar. Customer was upset. I was embarrassed. I try not to reuse chocolate anymore. I don't want but to lose anyone. It's too hard getting customers to lose!

Archived