Bulk vending key 721

Andy Houghton

Hello Everyone:

I just took over a route and the previous owner told me all machines use a 430 key. While it turns out that about 5% of them use a 721 or 701 key he can not remember, and can not find the keys. Does anyone have any of these keys? or know where I can get them?

Cheers,

Andy

How did the previous owner service his machines if he don't have the keys for all the machines.  If you purchased the route It's his obligation to provide you with all the keys for the route. Those key numbers sound like Northwestern keys. 

Try calling A & A see if they have any old keys laying around with those numbers.

The previous owner sold off his route to multiple vendors and should have kept one of each key he used just in case. Most of the machines work with the keys he provided, he just has a few with this key that he does not have. I know they are his machines because he has them marked. I will try calling A & A and a local locksmith. Does anyone know of a locksmith that specializes in Vending Locks. Last time I went to get a u-tune key(yes I know they are crap machines:-) ) copied the local locksmith looked like I just given him a key from Aliens. 

Thanks for your help.

You don't have many options in this situation especially when it sounds like the seller isn't sure which key it even is.  Here are a few ideas on what you could do:

Option 1: Like Titan Dist mentioned up above.....The guy sold you the route under the premise that you would get keys to all of the machines and that's what you should get. I would lean on him hard for a partial refund (if you keep the machines) or a full refund on those machines (he takes them back) and make this HIS problem like it should be. Bottom line is if you keep these machines as is it is going to cost you time and money and he should make it right. He may tell you to jump in a lake (I'm assuming he already has your money) so you can sue him in small claims (huge hassle, time killer and you still may not get paid) or you can put it in the lesson learned file and explore your other options.

Option 2: Ask the seller to contact the other buyers and see if they indeed have either missing key. If they do have him ask if he can borrow it for 24 to 48 hours to get it copied or so you can go around an replaced the locks with a new lock. They may tell him no but it is worth a try.

Option 3: Drill each lock and replace with a new lock. This is a hassle but will probably be the road you will have to go down if you're stuck with these machines. If these are singles or doubles on location I would replace the first machine with a good one (good locks) pull the bad one, take it home and drill it /dump candy and clean the machine there. Take that machine to the next bad machine location and repeat until all of the locks are replaced. If these are racks you will just have to bite the bullet and drill onsite. I would never waste money on a locksmith other than to make key copies. If your going to be in this business you need to learn how to drill and replace locks. It's easy.

Option 4: Comb the internet (especially ebay stores) looking for the two possible keys. Bad thing is it could take forever to find the two keys and even worse if you ever found them they may still be the wrong keys because he doesn't sound to sure what key it is. 

Good luck with the situation.

If the previous owner sold his route to multiple vendors the best thing for you to do after you get your key problem resolved is

to get your own locks and keys from either Lai ,Baton, or camlock. and start putting them on all the machines that he sold you

because now you have other vendors with keys to your machines.

Is it a flat key? What kind of machine? If the machine has a globe and not panels take a machine off location break the globe then you can unscrew the lock once you have the lock a key should be easy to make from a blank

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The machines are Northwestern's and I like the idea of changing the locks. I guess I have some work ahead of me. If I can not get the keys then taking off site and drilling is the best option. It would be so much better if I can get the keys. I guess this is a learning experience. 

IMO anyone who is serious about being in the vending business should have their own lock, and not be running ANY locks that are provided with new machines. Everyone in the vending business has all those factory keys . 

Over the years I have had very few problems with people getting in my machines. Way back when I started there was one operator that used to like to rob me. I bought some high security locks at that time. His business plan of stealing didn't work well for him and he went out of business. Since that time I have had no serious issues. Unless one has a definite problem I would not worry about getting special locks. Today I have one location I still use the security locks at.  Not bad out of a couple of thousand.

Archived