Location theft for abandonment of two machines

kaser100

Now there are some bad eggs in the world, and I have had the displeasure of meeting one of them. Now the first meeting did not go quite as I had planned. I have been working in the vending business since the 90s, and have never seen or heard of such a thing as I am about to tell you. It all started back in May of this last year when I purchased a snack and soda machine that were set up at a business from an estate auction. I had the         Idea I was going to go and inform the location owner that I had purchased the machines, and would like to continue as the service provider. I was however unprepared for his sideways reply. He proceeded to inform me that since these vending machines had not been serviced in several months that he considered them abandoned ( he had broken and replaced the locks, taken the money and refiled them ). With this mans I am God attitude proceeded to inform me that the machines now belonged to him, and told me to leave. After that needless to say I was without any words for a time, and proceeded home. I then got on the web and discovered that legally he could not claim abandonment of property without informing the state. The state would then take possession of the property for 5 years then He could take possession of it as abandoned property. I am currently getting ready to see him in court for return of the two newer machines which he thinks he still has ownership of, and the rights to steal others property. Some people just are not very bright !

I don't know why this post never showed up until now but anyway..

So you are saying these machines were auctioned off AT the location, and the owner of the location says they are abandoned and thus his? Or are you saying that you bought these machines blindly and discovered them later and the guy tried to claim ownership due to his own interpretation of the law?  I'm going to guess that you'll win the case but it won't be a pretty situation.  If and when you do win, have someone ready to pull them out right away.

Archived