New to vending/vendiscuss

KennyK

Hi Everyone,

I am new to vending and this forum. I decided to get into vending because I work offshore on Tugs and Supply Boats. Although the money is good, I  am away from home for long stints of time and I have two young (2 years and 8 months old) boys who I want to see more often. The goal is to slowly build something so I can transition off the boats eventually. I have learned a ton from you guys already and I am really grateful this forum exists! Thank you all for having me. -Kenny 

Welcome to the forums Kenny!

Feel free to ask any questions in the applicable forum, and be sure to make liberal use of the search feature; this site has years worth of wisdom in it’s archives.

I hope you do very well and look forward to growing with you.

Benjamin

Welcome Kenny,

You didn't mention what type of vending you plan to do. Bulk vending is more forgiving to longer periods of absence than full line vending, for example. If you are away at see for a week and can't service your machines, you probably won't lose a bulk site if it has a coin jam, but full line clients may be more upset about a machine out of action for that long.

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome! I just started doing bulk. So far, I have a 2 double head A&A PN 095's that need refurbishing (I am working on that, almost done), 1 double LYPC / NW super 60 knock off (what junk, might just keep it for parts)  A double Oak Astro ready to go on location, and a Small rack (4 column sticker on top, 2 NW Super 60's on bottom) ready to go on location. Really enjoying all aspects of the business so far, except locating. I am pounding away at locating when I have time, despite the rejections, and have hired a couple locators to work in zip codes where I am not.

New to bulk vending as well. The culmination of my experience is only my readings of other’s experience so far.

2 thoughts are:

Partnering with a charity, many say, helps close deals. Even let the owner choose the charity AND benefit from the write-offs. The charity's sticker to be displayed on the machine for their customers to see.

Secondly, when I begin locating in person in S Austin, TX… it is my goal to already know the top 3 or so objections And have a prepared response to them. Another goal, to sell the hell out of all the benefits to them and their specific business/customer experience as best I can, showing photos of my equipment for sure, having a charity ready, whatever veterans suggest on the topic that sounds helpful. Heck, I might even create brochures, listing all the benefits to them, to leave behind for them to chew on... along with what they can expect from me. 

Curious if you’re offering 20% of profits, or more or less?

Mainly very curious what other's insights are for having better closing success while out locating in-person for bulk vending.

Just keep playing the #'s game and reading other's insights until the cherry pops, and beyond that first location, I'm thinking it'll only become gradually easier. Looking forward to reading of your first location as well as posting mine. 

Derek

I just got my first location 2 days ago through Rodney. A tire and auto shop. The manager really didn't want the machine but I sort of convinced him to let me leave it. It is a small but VERY busy place, and there is only room for my machine in the office, literally.  It is a double head with gumballs and skittles.

After he said I just dont have room, I pointed at a spot and said how about there?  Then I kinda just had a silent standoff with him and waited until he said bring it in lets see if it will fit. It did fit, just barely. It was a little awkward but the machine is placed! I forgot to vaseline around the pipe stand for ants, but I am afraid if I go in he might tell me to take it with me...

Well, whenever you go to check it next.. this is what I'd try..

If he ever says that, maybe say: "Ok, well how 'bout I cut you 20% every time I come to service the machines. They're probably keeping the waiting kids happy." Since 80% profits at a truly busy location would bring more money than receiving 100% sales at a slower one. 

And just bring a scale. Every quarter weighs exactly 0.200 ounces (or 0.2 ounces). So you really could count them quickly with a scale. Read that somewhere, it's brilliant. 

Wort case cheerios, if your in a bigger city, it's just a matter of time and effort before you'll have secured your 10th busy location. Done one at a time, like most everything else. 

just food for thought

Mrshadetrees, that is the plan if I am ever about to lose a charity location. Got my second location today, a small rack (4 column sticker, 1 gumball head, 1 bouncy ball head) for commission at a convenience store. Dropping off tomorrow. Fingers crossed it goes well.  Did you get any locations yet? What kind of machines do you have?

2 in less than 7 days, way to hustle man, way to hustle. !!

You've got me thinking of the convenience store just outside my neighborhood now. 

Machines: unless someone suggests otherwise, I plan to secure the first location and then purchase the machine. Lookin' at the 2 heads. 

Locating: hasn't begun yet. My plan is to begin within the next 2 weeks, possibly late this week. 

Small rack I put at my second location. It's a little food and beverage with a good amount. Gotta thank Rob and Kickstart for this one! Well on my way to my 10 "heads" (I count each mech as a head) on location per month goal. This makes 8.

IMAG0741.jpg

It would be neat to know what a machine of more than 2 or 3 heads could bring in a month. 

Are you referencing kickstartlocations.com?

Today's quest: confirm if a food permit is needed in my city. Vendor's permit isn't, most thankfully. 

You'll be relieved to know a veteran bulk vendor who's information I do trust says:

" I’ve never had a problem with that (ants). As long as you have hard candy, the bugs seem not to like it."

He uses skittles, gumballs, and reeses pieces mainly. Really good to know. He also bulk vends in Austin, my city, (and LA). 

Source: http://geniustypes.com/how_to_start_a_bulk_candy_vending_business_for_passive_income/

in one of his comment responses

Archived