DirtyHank's thread about everything

DirtyHank

Today I spent about 8 hours working in the shop on machines that I broke down the past two days. I had 4 loads in the dish washer on sanitation mode to get the wheels and misc parts clean. I had about 45 coin mechs to clean and lube, 15 Route Master shells to clean, ordered gum/candy online, and drank 1/3 of a bottle of whiskey.

You?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DirtyHank said:

Today I spent about 8 hours working in the shop on machines that I broke down the past two days. I had 4 loads in the dish washer on sanitation mode to get the wheels and misc parts clean. I had about 45 coin mechs to clean and lube, 15 Route Master shells to clean, ordered gum/candy online, and drank 1/3 of a bottle of whiskey.

You?

Sounds like you had a productive day. Over the last month I have been devoting 1 day a week to working on old equipment. Alot of cleaning, painting & repairs but I am making a dent in it.

18 hours ago, gumball guy said:

Sounds like you had a productive day. Over the last month I have been devoting 1 day a week to working on old equipment. Alot of cleaning, painting & repairs but I am making a dent in it.

I hear ya. What type machines are you working on?

I have bought about 50 single heads and 90 triples in the last 2 months and the clean up is getting to be a lot. All used. 

Well, got colder today so didn't stay out as long. Put 6 triples back together and they are now location ready.

Getting ready for Tuesday when I have 11 locations to deliver.

Anyone have machines ready to deliver this week? What ya got?

22 hours ago, DirtyHank said:

I hear ya. What type machines are you working on?

I have bought about 50 single heads and 90 triples in the last 2 months and the clean up is getting to be a lot. All used. 

About 20 Super 60s and 20 1-800 & Northwestern triples. In the process of swapping out old Vendstars that have been on route for years. 

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, DirtyHank said:

Well, got colder today so didn't stay out as long. Put 6 triples back together and they are now location ready.

Getting ready for Tuesday when I have 11 locations to deliver.

Anyone have machines ready to deliver this week? What ya got?

Got all but 1 machine delivered, had a salon that was closed.

Stopped along the way and have 2 more restaurants that I should be getting. Will know for sure by tomorrow.

Got home and got a call to pick one up that I just placed 2 weeks ago so I will be taking care of that tomorrow. Bet I can sell them on keeping it. :)

Placed 2 more today. I think that puts me at 30 new locations in the last 6 weeks and 20 in the month of November. 

Not posting that to brag, just maybe as a little inspiration if anyone needs it. 

My goal is a little aggressive but doable and I will update in this thread...trying to get 70 more charity locations by the end of January. 

Hope y'all had a good week. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 6:53 PM, DirtyHank said:

Placed 2 more today. I think that puts me at 30 new locations in the last 6 weeks and 20 in the month of November. 

Not posting that to brag, just maybe as a little inspiration if anyone needs it. 

My goal is a little aggressive but doable and I will update in this thread...trying to get 70 more charity locations by the end of January. 

Hope y'all had a good week. 

where are you in TX?

On 11/29/2018 at 6:49 PM, DirtyHank said:

Anyone going to the NBVA show in Vegas this year? Can you let me know what to expect or give any pointers? PM me if needed.

thanks

I still can't figure out how big I need to get before I can rationalize making the trip. Are you full time?

6 hours ago, AMD Snacks said:

I still can't figure out how big I need to get before I can rationalize making the trip. Are you full time?

I am not. If there is one place I can talk the wife into going for a few days, it's Vegas. 

• Haha 1

Today was tough. Best locator in the business was out with me and we were only able to get 4 locations locked down. Generally we have good luck on Friday because people seem to be in a good mood. Maybe today sucked because it was cold and rainy.

Y'all have any luck this week picking up new stops?

Total newbie here, so please excuse if this question has been answered elsewhere.

I have read this thread and there are repeated notes of having to "pick up' a machine.

I assume that happens for a variety of reasons, but what i'm curious to know, is how often does it happen?

I guess the question is better put, : "out of 10 locations, how many are still working after one year?"

The more I think about this, the more I see that there are many many factors that could affect this.

I will continue to read here with interest.

For now, I am only interested in bulk vending, probably candy rather than gumballs or toys, but I'm open minded.

5 hours ago, mrpaxo said:

Total newbie here, so please excuse if this question has been answered elsewhere.

I have read this thread and there are repeated notes of having to "pick up' a machine.

I assume that happens for a variety of reasons, but what i'm curious to know, is how often does it happen?

I guess the question is better put, : "out of 10 locations, how many are still working after one year?"

The more I think about this, the more I see that there are many many factors that could affect this.

I will continue to read here with interest.

For now, I am only interested in bulk vending, probably candy rather than gumballs or toys, but I'm open minded.

I don't lose many that I have had for a while. The one this week had only been on location a few weeks and someone changed their mind. 

Yeah, as has been stated here a lot, establishing a contact with the owner/manager is a good idea.

Would it work to have an agreement with a location that they won't have other vendors, and in return you 1) pay them a bit more for the exclusivity or, 2) give them good service, filling requests, getting additional machines/choices?

41 minutes ago, mrpaxo said:

Yeah, as has been stated here a lot, establishing a contact with the owner/manager is a good idea.

Would it work to have an agreement with a location that they won't have other vendors, and in return you 1) pay them a bit more for the exclusivity or, 2) give them good service, filling requests, getting additional machines/choices?

If you're going to operate in bulk vending (small candy/gumball type machines) you don't need to over complicate things. Many bulk vending operators are aligned with a charity. It helps the charity and it helps you get your foot in the door. If you want to pay a location commission that is fine but the reality is most gumball/candy machines won't generate enough income to pay a very competitive commission. Commission is more relevant if you are running racks that include toys, stickers & tattoos as well as candy because they generate more income but that is a different discussion. Either way the location is already doing you a favor by letting you set up in their business so many of them would look at any further agreements or contracts as a hassle that isn't worth their time. Get the machine in the door, provide good service and product, keep the machine clean, and thank them for letting you be there. Simple. If I am installing a candy machine I will ask people what they want and go from there. If they ask for a different candy down the road  I will change it but I don't solicit change if sales are good. If the sales are strong and you think the location can support another machine then approach the decision maker and suggest another machine to add more variety. Whatever you do just try to keep it simple especially if time is an issue for you (as it is for most of us). Good luck.

Went out and serviced 10 this evening after work and here are the results. All 50 days since serviced and all double head machines.

thrift shop $59

car accessories place $10.25

pizza place $76.75

oil change $44.25

bar and grill $59.50

Tortillaria $38.25

Wings $112.75

Bar $31.50

phone repair $8

chicken place 4.50 (this one was only 20 days)

Anyone else have anything to share?

Serviced 15 after work today and here are the results....

60 days since service

Antique place $11 (machine was moved and buried in a bad spot)

salon $21

salon $44 (issue with machine) should have been more

30 days since service

car shop $27

auto center $6

salon $8

BBQ $25

barber $23

manufacturer $24

manufacturer $7

manufacturer $4

burger $33

salon $4

BBQ $7

oil change $20

interested in seeing some of your results....is this thing on....