ATM.......

rookie514

I was asked if I would do an ATM before. I looked into it and decided against it. I found stats that showed the average ATM withdrawl to be $60, so if my machine was going to make $300 a month (at say .50 a transaction after comm) I would have to load $36,000 into the machine. The risk does not seem like its worth the reward if this is not what your setup to do.

JD

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who owns a number of ATMs like the small ones placed in service stations, bars, etc. He charges $3.00 per $100 withdrawal and he does AMAZINGLY well. I frankly thought that no one would ever pay those amounts, but I am astounded by how large his business is! I don't know if one machine is worth the risk, but there is a LOT of opportunity in this area of business and would not dismiss it lightly.

If you own the ATM and load the ATM, the standard is you keep most if not all the surcharge.  If you own and load (say you make $2/transaction)  to earn $300 you need to do 150 transactions a month.  You give the location 25 cents per transaction for what is called back end interchange. 

The $60 average withdrawal fee is fairly correct.  You need to load $9000 per month.  Remember though - you get that money back within 24 hours of it being withdrawn.  To start out, load weekly ($2250).  Load 2X a week (~$1300). 

Better yet, own the machine.  Convince the store owner to load daily, instead of bringing his cash to the bank.  Give him $1/transaction.  He doesn't have to go to the bank and he makes $150/month.  Plus most of that money is spent in his own store, the is more true for places that sell lottery.  Can't put that on credit.........So you only make $150/month.  Not too bad! 

• 1 year later...

That is a really good question.  Actually when I started, I was at a financial low point.  What I did is I asked everyone I know if I could borrow money.  I "sold" them on the ATM concept.  I regularly borrow money at 20% for vault cash.  I run it like a hedge fund or a bank CD.  Where I do not pay back pricipal.

Give you a real like example.  Friend of mine's mother passed away, they inherited $90,000.  I borrowed $10,000 @ 20%.  I give her the interest payment (not pricipal)  $167/month.  I have a 1 year contract.  She loves it because a CD is paying 1.5%.  I love it because that $10,000 makes me about $700-$900 a month.

At the end of the 1 year contract, she can renew or take her $10,000 back.  She has been so happy I don't see her not renewing, but I am constantly planning and looking for new investors just in case someone backs out.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a really good question.  Actually when I started, I was at a financial low point.  What I did is I asked everyone I know if I could borrow money.  I "sold" them on the ATM concept.  I regularly borrow money at 20% for vault cash.  I run it like a hedge fund or a bank CD.  Where I do not pay back pricipal.

Give you a real like example.  Friend of mine's mother passed away, they inherited $90,000.  I borrowed $10,000 @ 20%.  I give her the interest payment (not pricipal)  $167/month.  I have a 1 year contract.  She loves it because a CD is paying 1.5%.  I love it because that $10,000 makes me about $700-$900 a month.

At the end of the 1 year contract, she can renew or take her $10,000 back.  She has been so happy I don't see her not renewing, but I am constantly planning and looking for new investors just in case someone backs out.

Maybe you should start a fund here on VENDiscuss.

As much as you are making off of the money, I would think you would want to stockpile the profits, pay back the $10K, and make an extra $2,000 a year, with much less risk.

I love RISK!  ;D

Right now most of my ATM biz money is going back into the ATM business.  If I stumble on another $10K I would grow my business rather then pay back investors.  I know a few people in this business who generate $30K-$40K per month, they work their butts off for it and they have done it over the course of 10-12 years, I really would not mind being there. 

Archived