Hornor Snack Boxes

kenellis

• 2 months later...

This is a late response, but we are still hanging in there.  STRUGGLING, but still hanging in there.  Loss of accounts and lower volume is the biggest hurdle.  And we're in MICHIGAN!  (Our governor is an idiot, but that's a whole story in itself).  Most small business seems to be back at it, but it's the chain businesses (banks, chain salons, insurance co, etc.) that seem to have the corporate edicts that won't either allow snacks and coffee, or won't let us in the building.  Other than that, most people are ready to get back to some sort of normalcy.  Things NEED to open up and everyone needs to get back to work.  Hope everyone is doing alright.  

On 1/28/2021 at 10:30 AM, flintflash said:

This is a late response, but we are still hanging in there.  STRUGGLING, but still hanging in there.  Loss of accounts and lower volume is the biggest hurdle.  And we're in MICHIGAN!  (Our governor is an idiot, but that's a whole story in itself).  Most small business seems to be back at it, but it's the chain businesses (banks, chain salons, insurance co, etc.) that seem to have the corporate edicts that won't either allow snacks and coffee, or won't let us in the building.  Other than that, most people are ready to get back to some sort of normalcy.  Things NEED to open up and everyone needs to get back to work.  Hope everyone is doing alright.  

I'm betting you've suffered big losses in missing cash from the boxes.  I admire you for doing honor boxes for so long, but I don't think I would want to be back in it!  I have considered the idea of quickly and aggressively growing an honor box route with the intention of getting more OCS with it.  Now is either the worst time or the best time to try that idea.

• 4 months later...
On 1/28/2021 at 9:30 AM, flintflash said:

Hey buddy long time, no hear.  First time I have been on here since the pandemic hit, but I am still in business.  L:ike you it's been a struggle, but still plugging away.  I dropped all the way to 269 locations, but have slowly been building it back up again.  I am now 290, and am getting more locations every week.  I hope everything gets better there in Michigan.

• 11 months later...
On 6/8/2021 at 5:39 AM, bhumphrey829 said:

Hey buddy long time, no hear.  First time I have been on here since the pandemic hit, but I am still in business.  L:ike you it's been a struggle, but still plugging away.  I dropped all the way to 269 locations, but have slowly been building it back up again.  I am now 290, and am getting more locations every week.  I hope everything gets better there in Michigan.

Hey Bryan!  (and everyone else)

Glad to hear you are battling back.  We are running well and working on building our account base back up.  Price increases and fuel are the biggest headaches, but we are still pluggin' along.  I am sure most of you all are increasing to $1.50 on your boxes.  If you haven't yet, don't wait.  Costs are only going to continue to climb and implementing price increases are much easier while your customers can see why (inflation in everything else makes it easier for your customer to understand).  I hope everyone is hangin' in there!

• 3 months later...

Checking in with the Honor Snack crowd!  How is everyone doing?  A lot is going on, but we've managed to ride the worst of the chaos.  Gas prices and product price increases gave us quite the challenge the last year, but we seem to have weathered the storm.  We took a price increase at the beginning of the year (back in February) and It actually went well.  With everything going up in price, at the pump, in the grocery store, etc. we felt it was the opportune time to implement a price increase, going to $1.50.  Our customers seemed to understand and adapted well.  Volume is back on the rise and my sales staff have been putting on new accounts like crazy.  I hope ALL of you fared just as well! Let me know how you're doing and what helped you through.  Take care my friends!  :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

All is well - took 4 years to build but it was worth it. It's a numbers game the more you have out there the better it will be. It's also business so you have to manage your locations and upgrade when necessary . 

• 3 months later...

The business is driven by averages on a large number of boxes placed at decent locations.  Some locations are full of either theft, low volume, or a combination of both.  Others are rock star locations that the box sells in in one to two weeks with little to no theft.  One of the biggest hurdles is turnover of locations or kickouts.  As long as you incorporate the costs for that in your model and your expectations, you will be fine.  Statistically, places that men or moms with children frequent do the best (i.e. barber shops, pizza joints, bounce houses, etc.)