Midway space invaders - Score

tblake05

Yeah, after getting into vending almost 3 years ago   I started to collect anything coin op. But mainly arcade games. Yeah. I’m a 90’s nerd. I’ve come to terms with it.

so a few weeks back I picked up a midway space invaders. Working for 500.00. Looking like its untouched and came directly from its location. Very nice shape for its age.

I've been rather busy but today I had a chance to jerry rig the back locks and get inside. (Since the keys had been lost) Probably the first time someone’s been inside it in 30 years or more.)

Found the original schematics! Score! Plus the original owners manual perfect condition. And a handful of quarters. One of them was a mint condition 1987.

Is it odd that I’m excited about this? (As I get older, the small things are exciting).

im going to leave the outsides and cosmetics alone besides a good cleaning. Replace the main power cord due to a busted off ground pin. And some various other stuff...

but I’m torn if I should remove the monitor pcb and recap it. It has elna brand caps on it. So they are original. In my asteroids the elna caps had leaked and bulged, so I replaced them. But the asteroids didn’t work when I got it. Would you guys even bother?

Thoughts?

CAE7-D5-E9-5-C85-4-A51-963-F-0-FB468-A54

8048494-E-A731-43-ED-BF48-84-C0-DDCA92-E

On 3/7/2022 at 1:59 PM, John15 said:

Monitor looks good,no waves,no shrinking on the sides. If still original power supply I would replace those caps only few on power supply. Been repairing arcade games games since early 80s.

Funny you mention that. I’ve got caps on order for the power supply because even though it’s working, it appears one cap has began venting electrolyte. (White crusty stuff on top)

9562-A641-E416-48-F0-A0-AC-F38-A2-A9-E6-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If the power cord itself is fine but the ground pin is missing I would just chop off the end and put on a new plug. But if it's showing signs of age, it would be acceptable to replace the whole thing. I replaced mine completely. I went the other way around as you... I started out collecting arcade games and eventually became a vendor.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 5:20 PM, RoadDogAmusements said:

If the power cord itself is fine but the ground pin is missing I would just chop off the end and put on a new plug. But if it's showing signs of age, it would be acceptable to replace the whole thing. I replaced mine completely. I went the other way around as you... I started out collecting arcade games and eventually became a vendor.

Who knew the two went hand in hand.

now I wish I had a bigger house. Cause I see great deals on games but no space, and I’m saving room for when I find a getaway pinball machine. Though I don’t know if o could stand listening to ZZ Top lagrange over and over again. But neat game indeed.