Vending workers/operators - do you remember this man?

Grungster

In September of 2006, this man committed suicide in Las Vegas, Nevada. He had been staying at a local motel since late August. Police later learned that the victim had stolen the identity of a man living in California. He is believed to have started using the name in 2004 or 2005. Over 15 years later, the victim has yet to be positively identified. 

The victim reportedly worked at a vending machine company in California, possibly Sacramento or Contra Costa County. He may done deliveries for this company company, but this is unconfirmed. 

A former employer of the victim claimed that he spoke with a heavy German accent. It is also noted that the victim was in possession of a German letter. This letter mentions a possible sister of the author named Birgit/Birgitte, an ex-wife in Perth named Karen, a possible daughter named Amy, and a  childhood friend named Dirk Matthias. "Past trouble" is also mentioned by the author. 

Vendiscuss - your help is sought. Was this man ever employed by you? Did you work alongside him? If so, do you remember anything he may have told you about his life? 

Please contact the Clark County Coroner's Office at 702-4555-3210 if you have any information. You can also can also email the coroner's office at coroner@clarkcountynv.gov. Their report number for this case is 2006-07139. Thank you. 

TodMotorJohnDoe.jpg

Edited by Grungster
Just adding something
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AngryChris said:

Why is he referred to as the "victim" ???

Well, he died. His final days must have been horrible. Something went very wrong. Even though he was an identity theft who victimized many people, he was still a human being and didn't deserve to die.

2 hours ago, Grungster said:

Well, he died. His final days must have been horrible. Something went very wrong. Even though he was an identity theft who victimized many people, he was still a human being and didn't deserve to die.

I don't think committing suicide counts as being a victim.  Whatever lead up to that decision, maybe, but I think the whole thing implies that someone victimized him, yet there's absolutely no evidence to support that.  The people whose identities we're stolen are victims.

Just now, AngryChris said:

I don't think committing suicide counts as being a victim.  Whatever lead up to that decision, maybe, but I think the whole thing implies that someone victimized him, yet there's absolutely no evidence to support that.  The people whose identities we're stolen are victims.

Never denied that.....it certainly caused emotional distress when the investigators went to tell the family of the person who they thought the victim was. Still, he was likely a victim of something that caused him to do what he did. 

Since you have a lot to say, do you have any insight as to who this victim might be or where he may have worked? 

4 minutes ago, Grungster said:

Still, he was likely a victim of something that caused him to do what he did. 

Since you have a lot to say, do you have any insight as to who this victim might be or where he may have worked? 

I think the most likely reason to steal another person's identity is to conceal your own identity as to not get caught for past and future crimes.

I have no idea who he is.  But I had to read the article 3 times because the wordage was so confusing.

1 minute ago, AngryChris said:

I think the most likely reason to steal another person's identity is to conceal your own identity as to not get caught for past and future crimes.

I have no idea who he is.  But I had to read the article 3 times because the wordage was so confusing.

You could have asked me to explain. I can certainly do that if you would like. Investigators checked his fingerprints but no matches were found. However, the author of the note did describe being in "past trouble"... 

So you're looking for someone to blame? How about you look at him and his possible guilt-ridden conscience. Actually I see you're probably looking to notify next of kin. Funny how we don't have anything to call him but a victim even though you say he killed himself.

Edited by AZVendor

12 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

So you're looking for someone to blame? How about you look at him and his possible guilt-ridden conscience. Actually I see you're probably looking to notify next of kin. Funny how we don't have anything to call him but a victim even though you say he killed himself.

No. My intention is to get his information shared to the right person. The story of how he ended like this is unknown and we can’t blame anyone because we don’t know who he is or who may have caused him pain. I can’t share the name he used because this is an actual individual and he and his family will be very distressed if I do share it. He did kill himself, no foul play involved. The state he was apparently in was really bad. He likely didn’t even know how bad he would later impact the family of the real person when they thought their loved one was dead. 

Since you think he might have a conscience, perhaps you have information to share about who he may be?

Edited by Grungster

• 3 weeks later...

I have some more information to share....it has been revealed that the victim known was as "Jenner". There was also court paperwork found indicating that "Jenner" had undergone a legal name change. It turns out that the actual situation was much more complicated, but more on that to come.

What is interesting is that the victim also had an active access badge to a local military base. As of now, it does not appear that he had government access to any part of the base - it is likely that work badge was rather used to gain access to areas that included vending machines. 

Here is a lengthy Reddit post (one of many to be created in the future) that discusses everything.....just a warning, this is a pretty unsettling description of a suicide. 

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like he worked as a long-haul trucker. He was probably doing vending deliveries for a major company and he would have had a CDL to do all this. We don't know what company he worked for, but it could have been Coke/Pepsi (or possibly a company that stocked or repaired vending machines). There are driving citations in Oregon from 2004, which are specifically issued to truckers, under the name Jenner; yet, real-life Jenner has never worked as he unfortunately is homeless and battles with schizophrenia. Here is the post my friend did on the Reddit for Tod Motor Doe. 

It's also likely TMD could have been in the San Francisco Bay Area at one point - Jenner reported his backpack stolen from the BART train there where he had been sleeping. One of his former employer's was located in California too.