dubble bubble color change in standard 8…

jay22

my latest shipment i’ve noticed the coloring looks a lot duller, no longer that appealing shine . the pink no longer stands out. purple has become a lighter weird shade that may be a response to the purples always fading quickly in the past and forming a white spot. obviously they’re using different dyes or whatever. i don’t know if this will effect sales but the appearence has undoubtedly taken a hit.

Agreed, I havent bought any from local Sams......fellow vendor brought this to my attention couple weeks back, I recd 45 cases two weeks ago, 15 of that 850 ct gum,  no 850 Asst, I saw no issues with any of that shipment, except that the gum was fresh, vibrant candy shell,etc... I rec'd 20 cases of 1080 asst & 1080 ft mix, no issues with that either.....maybe some old stock???

I guess what ya see is what ya got.........maybe subjected to temperature changes during transit?  Who knows what it's been subjected to going to Sams club. My DB/Concord comes to me on a refrigerated truck, so I am careful to quickly move it to the same temperature environment at my climate-controlled storage. Hopefully I won't see any of these issues in the future ..........hopefully you won't either. If you think it's bad enough, maybe call DB/Concord and at least get it on record so if it continues, you will have it on paper, so to speak.

Maybe Gremlins in the process😁

19 hours ago, allgum4me said:

I guess what ya see is what ya got.........maybe subjected to temperature changes during transit?  Who knows what it's been subjected to going to Sams club. My DB/Concord comes to me on a refrigerated truck, so I am careful to quickly move it to the same temperature environment at my climate-controlled storage. Hopefully I won't see any of these issues in the future ..........hopefully you won't either. If you think it's bad enough, maybe call DB/Concord and at least get it on record so if it continues, you will have it on paper, so to speak.

Maybe Gremlins in the process😁

it doesn't have anything to do with temperature or anything like that.  it's the new way, or at least it's the current way.  balls are stamped a different color so i know there's been a change

Has taste or texture changed as well?  I read in your previous post that you said that it is dull which is a dead-on temperature change result, at least in my 24 years of gumballology..... the shine or gloss comes from food grade  carnuba wax also helps to keep gum and candy from losing their shape (body), If it's not causing complaints and its otherwise acceptable in its taste and chew,  I wouldn't be terribly concerned.

It opened all cases of my last order from DB, all gum is glossy, with the exception of a case of watermelon which had good bit of white powder (corn starch) on it (keeps gum from sticking together) again, what I saw on vender friends gum recently is temp change for sure.....again Im not a doctor of gum, but relating 24 years of seeing alot of it.

If so inclined you can PM me for contact WHO can give you the scoop on it , guaranteed>

3 hours ago, allgum4me said:

Has taste or texture changed as well?  I read in your previous post that you said that it is dull which is a dead-on temperature change result, at least in my 24 years of gumballology..... the shine or gloss comes from food grade  carnuba wax also helps to keep gum and candy from losing their shape (body), If it's not causing complaints and its otherwise acceptable in its taste and chew,  I wouldn't be terribly concerned.

It opened all cases of my last order from DB, all gum is glossy, with the exception of a case of watermelon which had good bit of white powder (corn starch) on it (keeps gum from sticking together) again, what I saw on vender friends gum recently is temp change for sure.....again Im not a doctor of gum, but relating 24 years of seeing alot of it.

If so inclined you can PM me for contact WHO can give you the scoop on it , guaranteed>

These color changes really don't appear to be heat related (at least not heat during transit). This is something that is happening in the manufacturing process. Whether it be intentional or unintentional the product must still fall within their quality control guidelines because they shipped them like this whether we like it or not. One thing that Concord/Dubble Bubble has made clear over the last few years is that they are not concerned about vendor/customer concerns. I have suffered through getting "new" gumballs hard enough to break a windshield, to high percentages of gnarled up and cracked gumballs to inexplicable stoppages in shipping/availability to this latest coloring issue. I think they know that they are pretty much the 800 pound gorilla in the bulk gumball market and demand from vendors will be there out of necessity.

• Like 1

Are you guys seeing this in certain products or is it a just in general issue across the board?  I agree with the "hard enough to break a windshield", have experienced that I can say... I guess just because I haven't  had issues mentioned above, maybe a matter of time, at least now I wont be caught off guard.  So far I guess I've been lucky, your last line says it all.

5 minutes ago, allgum4me said:

Are you guys seeing this in certain products or is it a just in general issue across the board?  I agree with the "hard enough to break a windshield", have experienced that I can say... I guess just because I haven't  had issues mentioned above, maybe a matter of time, at least now I wont be caught off guard.  So far I guess I've been lucky, your last line says it all.

I noticed it in my 850 assorted. Primarily with the white gumballs. Frankly, I'm not worried about it as I have no control over it. If I start getting a lot of complaints or it starts to really affect sales then I will start to look at Dipping Dots or Charms gumballs.

I use the 8-flavor mix from DB, I haven't had a Sams box of  850 asst in years, however looking at my 1080 asst, all looks well/normal, maybe Sams club gum made with less regard to quality .... A&A gum so far has been worthwhile, no issues......yet. You mention charms, do they have a line of gum, DB/Concord own them as well, as my DB/Concord orders come from the Charms distribution center in Tennessee.  I think back on it and I had gum from Ford & Carousel (same mfg. plant) yet my product seemed to vary with those folks?

10 hours ago, allgum4me said:

I use the 8-flavor mix from DB, I haven't had a Sams box of  850 asst in years, however looking at my 1080 asst, all looks well/normal, maybe Sams club gum made with less regard to quality .... A&A gum so far has been worthwhile, no issues......yet. You mention charms, do they have a line of gum, DB/Concord own them as well, as my DB/Concord orders come from the Charms distribution center in Tennessee.  I think back on it and I had gum from Ford & Carousel (same mfg. plant) yet my product seemed to vary with those folks?

The Charms Gumballs are are a specialty gumball (basically a reverse Blow Pop) that a lot of my competitors use widely. In talking with them they seem to get solid sales results from them. https://www.aaglobal.com/toys-games/PL-GUM-1512-Blow-Pop-Filled-850-Ct-Gumballs.asp

ZED gumballs from A & A have not sold well for me as of late. That is another brand that seems to very with shipment. It is made in China so once quality is not a prime concern from them. They seem to break into a granular as you begin to chew it then eventually go to a normal gum consistency.

12 minutes ago, jay22 said:

how they look now 

IMG_3319.jpeg

Mine are actually not this bad. I would initially think this was heat related but you are absolutely correct about the lettering ink being different than white branding color so that would suggest a manufacturing issue. Like allgum suggested you may want to reach out to Concord is you have a bunch like this and see if they will replace any.

24 minutes ago, gumball guy said:

Mine are actually not this bad. I would initially think this was heat related but you are absolutely correct about the lettering ink being different than white branding color so that would suggest a manufacturing issue. Like allgum suggested you may want to reach out to Concord is you have a bunch like this and see if they will replace any.

was your letting ink not the same? i just got these last week, it’s possible the change was just put into effect. either way, these new colors look a lot more natural. ok as i was typing this, John from concord confections called me… yea, there’s been changes in coloring due to some colors being banned and titanium dioxide. he’s gonna make some calls and see what he can do. he said he’s concerned they’re not shiny… he kept breaking up on the phone so i didn’t talk to him long

23 minutes ago, jay22 said:

was your letting ink not the same? i just got these last week, it’s possible the change was just put into effect. either way, these new colors look a lot more natural. ok as i was typing this, John from concord confections called me… yea, there’s been changes in coloring due to some colors being banned and titanium dioxide. he’s gonna make some calls and see what he can do. he said he’s concerned they’re not shiny… he kept breaking up on the phone so i didn’t talk to him long

Good Lord, those gumballs look like crap. Hope that was a mistake and not the new normal for concord.

i’m nervous too in putting these out in new locations because i feel like a test subject. it’s hard enough to get locations as it is, if i land a nice one this week and put this gum in, what if it completely fades in a few weeks. they look half faded already.

• Like 1

yea same… i’m pissed. just bought 20 cases of this stuff… i know for some of you that’s nothing but for me that lasts awhile. have no old stock left. i guess the question too is, how much will the target audience (4-18 year olds) notice the difference? we’ve seen a billion gumballs so we notice right away but will they? also, maybe even though they’re lighter shade, there’s a chance they won’t fade more unlike others. i’m doubtful though, this is giving me anxiety.

22 minutes ago, jay22 said:

yea same… i’m pissed. just bought 20 cases of this stuff… i know for some of you that’s nothing but for me that lasts awhile. have no old stock left. i guess the question too is, how much will the target audience (4-18 year olds) notice the difference? we’ve seen a billion gumballs so we notice right away but will they? also, maybe even though they’re lighter shade, there’s a chance they won’t fade more unlike others. i’m doubtful though, this is giving me anxiety.

I would just put them out. Unfortunately, we don't have much of a choice anymore when it comes to gumballs. I wouldn't worry too much about it. In my 20+ years in bulk vending, i've learned to let a lot of stuff just roll off my back! Oakleaf gum was always very good. Thankfully I stocked up right before they went out of business and still have some left. I'm on my way out of the business except for maybe 15 or so locations that i'll hold onto for a little while. I've tried ZED gum from A&A, not enough of it to get a good read though. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...