dubble bubble color change in standard 8…

jay22

8 hours ago, jay22 said:

by now i’m sure everyone is using these. thoughts?

The different hue has not seemed to affect sales. I am still buying from Sam's Club and the only color that really seems consistently different now is the white (has a yellowish tint). I have yet to get any that looked as bad as the pictures you posted in August though. Also, the lettering on the stock I have bought from Sam's is the traditional white on every gumball unlike the blue lettering in your pictures. Have you bought any more since then and have you seen a change in sales because of the appearance of the last batch?

14 hours ago, gumball guy said:

The different hue has not seemed to affect sales. I am still buying from Sam's Club and the only color that really seems consistently different now is the white (has a yellowish tint). I have yet to get any that looked as bad as the pictures you posted in August though. Also, the lettering on the stock I have bought from Sam's is the traditional white on every gumball unlike the blue lettering in your pictures. Have you bought any more since then and have you seen a change in sales because of the appearance of the last batch?

maybe yours is still older stock from sams? i reached out to John Landers today and he showed me a letter sent out by the VP of sales from tootsie explaining the removal of red dye 3, and titanium dioxide, and how it would affect the coloring.  he said he's sure they'll try to improve it.  who knows.  sales seem to be a little worse, not too bad but i need a few more months to really see.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 12:31 PM, jay22 said:

my latest shipment i’ve noticed the coloring looks a lot duller, no longer that appealing shine . the pink no longer stands out. purple has become a lighter weird shade that may be a response to the purples always fading quickly in the past and forming a white spot. obviously they’re using different dyes or whatever. i don’t know if this will effect sales but the appearence has undoubtedly taken a hit.

The colors started changing after the announcement that dibble bubble had to change the recipe on the mix. They had to leave out some chemicals. I noticed the Color differences right away. Sure doesn’t look as appealing. 

I’ve started buying some Cotton Candy 850 mix to use in my locations that sit in the sun. The colors are more pastel and keeps the purple out of the mix which always bleaches out from the sun so bad. So far it’s been working good. 

On 11/24/2023 at 11:00 AM, Mike4 said:

The colors started changing after the announcement that dibble bubble had to change the recipe on the mix. They had to leave out some chemicals. I noticed the Color differences right away. Sure doesn’t look as appealing. 

I’ve started buying some Cotton Candy 850 mix to use in my locations that sit in the sun. The colors are more pastel and keeps the purple out of the mix which always bleaches out from the sun so bad. So far it’s been working good. 

greens now seem to be an issue with the new crappy colors. seen a bunch of them looking horrible in the machine. i always stayed away from the cotton candy. pastel are kinda cool, but also they look a little dull. i guess they all look dull now with these new colors ugh lol

15 minutes ago, jay22 said:

greens now seem to be an issue with the new crappy colors. seen a bunch of them looking horrible in the machine. i always stayed away from the cotton candy. pastel are kinda cool, but also they look a little dull. i guess they all look dull now with these new colors ugh lol

Yeah they look old right out of the box. Decent flavor though. 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, jay22 said:

price up to 30 a case now too ugh. they make gumballs look worse and still keep raising the price 

Those gumballs do indeed look terrible and get hard as a rock when they get some age on them. I sure miss Ford gumballs.

2 hours ago, gumball guy said:

Those gumballs do indeed look terrible and get hard as a rock when they get some age on them. I sure miss Ford gumballs.

has it been affecting your sales at all? you think they get harder now than they used to?

7 hours ago, jay22 said:

has it been affecting your sales at all? you think they get harder now than they used to?

Yes it does affect the sales, especially after the gumballs start getting hard. The current version of Dubble Bubble is fine out of the box (in regards to being easy to chew) but it doesn't take long for the shell harden up. Dubble Bubble's shell has always been harder than Ford's gumball. Before the color change, Dubble Bubble looked better than the Ford because of that shiny finish and the great colors. Ford always had a dull finish but once people tried them they seemed to always outsell the Dubble Bubble.

2 hours ago, gumball guy said:

Yes it does affect the sales, especially after the gumballs start getting hard. The current version of Dubble Bubble is fine out of the box (in regards to being easy to chew) but it doesn't take long for the shell harden up. Dubble Bubble's shell has always been harder than Ford's gumball. Before the color change, Dubble Bubble looked better than the Ford because of that shiny finish and the great colors. Ford always had a dull finish but once people tried them they seemed to always outsell the Dubble Bubble.

yea but i think too that gumballs are so effected by climate that we don’t always really know if it’s the gum itself or climate. like gum that sits in a cold spot for a long time can go hard and get worse,  but then if you put that same gum in a warm spot for awhile they become great again. still, too often they get hard, because well, a lot of places are cold. i used to get paranoid about this and would often take gum out of machines, swapping it for new gum, but i don’t bother anymore. can’t afford to waste money, and ultimately i don’t know that customers are expecting anything superb lol. many may even like that crunch lol

Edited by jay22
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SSVEND said:

We may be better off buying the Chinese made gumballs over at A&A

I have tried the ZED gum on a very limited basis but I am not getting a great response in terms of sales. I may expand on it a bit.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 9:56 AM, jay22 said:

by now i’m sure everyone is using these. thoughts?

Bottom line they don't look good in the globe but they taste good and still sell. They still tend to bleach out from the sun, but doesn't seem to be as bad. Maybe because the colors are a little more pastel.  I have been using them for quite a while now. The orders come without any hiccups and are always spot on. They have quite a few items to choose from but I tend to stick with assorted 850ct and chicle. Charms/Tootsie seems to be the only option right now. If anyone knows of another source please do tell. 

• Like 1