New Member Introduction and Vendo 90 question

Hello,

I’m a new member and new to the world of vending machines.  Im recently retired from the Amy 22 years and I’m building a garage shop and currently acquiring antiques for a retro man cave.  I bought a choice vend 7Up machine.  I'm looking for the date of manufacture for this machine. And model history.  Mine is painted white and is in 7Up signage etc.  Thanks G.

The model number is VUB/C 9-81

The serial number is F85577

IMG_4237.jpeg

Old.  Really old.  This forum won't be a good source of information for you though one member does work for Vendo and might have the age for you at least.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s actually a choice vend  model number VUB 9 81

and serial number F85577.  As far as I’ve been told the 9 81 means 9 slots that hold 9 bottles each for a total,of 81.  But No one can tell me when it was made based off of the number plate.  Does anyone know how to determine the date from the number plate, or have any other history on this machine?  Im in Az does anyone know how to service/rebuild/replace the cooling deck on these locally, or know where I can buy a new cooling deck?  It works and cools now but I’m afraid that with it being over 40 years old M not sure how much longer the compressor has left.  And the fan doesn’t work so I put auxiliary fans on the compressor condenser, I’m thinking it’s the relay, is it advisable to put a Supco

3 N 1 starter/relay on it? Thanks B.

Choice Vend is long gone but you're probably looking at it being from the 60s.  The can stack vendors that they made were started in the 70s.  Don't fix what isn't broken now.  I worked on a handful of old slant shelf machines along with old Westinghouse machines over the years.  I don't do that now but the one thing you need to do is to properly replace the condenser fan.  It's pretty standard but the wiring is certainly going to be brittle.  

thanks.  I was going to replace that old fan by putting 4  separate square computer type fans on the condenser and put one on the compressor, and does it hurt or matter if those fans run constantly, I plan on plugging them in the wall separately.  Do you recommend putting a 3 N 1 relay on it,   Appreciate the help.  G.

It’s actually a choice vend  model number VUB 9 81

and serial number F85577.  As far as I’ve been told the 9 81 means 9 slots that hold 9 bottles each for a total,of 81.  But No one can tell me when it was made based off of the number plate.  Does anyone know how to determine the date from the number plate, or have any other history on this machine?  Im in Az does anyone know how to service/rebuild/replace the cooling deck on these locally, or know where I can buy a new cooling deck?  It works and cools now but I’m afraid that with it being over 40 years old M not sure how much longer the compressor has left.  And the fan doesn’t work so I put auxiliary fans on the compressor condenser, I’m thinking it’s the relay, is it advisable to put a Supco

3 N 1 starter/relay on it? Thanks B.

No need for the 3 n 1 unless the compressor clicks on and off without starting.  The 4 fans are silly to use.  Pull the condensing unit out just far enough to access the fan motor and remove it.  Then go to Grainger and get a new one.

Sounds easy, is that fan linked to the relay is that why it’s not turning on from a bad relay?  And does that fan stay on constant or does it kick on at a specified temp or thermostat impute etc?  The machine was getting cold then the cooling stopped.  my son put some house fans on the back blowing into the condenser an it started cooling again.  The current old fan free spud and moves forward and back.

The condenser fan only runs when the compressor does and if the fan is free to spin then the wiring may be damaged in that vicinity.  The wiring from the fan connects to the wiring on the compressor relay so that's why I say, in that vicinity.

Appreciate it thanks.

Sounds easy, is that fan linked to the relay is that why it’s not turning on from a bad relay?  And does that fan stay on constant or does it kick on at a specified temp or thermostat impute etc?  The machine was getting cold then the cooling stopped.  my son put some house fans on the back blowing into the condenser an it started cooling again.  The current old fan free spud and moves forward and back.

The compressor and condenser fan share power through the temperature control (manual thermostat). The only relay in that machine should be the credit relay that should engage when the vend price is met.

What is the credit relay and vend price?  Is that the relay that kicks on the compressor and fan when the thermostat is turned to colder signaling the compressor to run?  Appreciate the assistance.  B.

The credit relay is for the vend circuit and doesn't affect the cooling.  There is a start relay on the compressor but the fan issue is due to the wiring between the two or a bad fan motor itself.