Asking for some guidance from the "Vets"

Hi Guys,

Ted from Smooge Enterprisies, LLC, (smoogeent.com - home of Irving Owl).  Wife and I have been planning for over a year and finally got two AMS 39 machines placed with two local businesses this past May 1.  Nothing fancy - NAYAX readers, nice clients.  Learning through the school of hard knocks.  

Have been approached by a local RE firm that manages two 3 story buildings that are in a medical area.  Occupants in Building 1 include an Imaging Service, a VA location, a MacDonald Regional Office, Security firm and some other practices - 95% leased, all recently renewed.  Average population 200 plus walk in traffic.  We had previous contact with the fellow, but that deal never materialized.  He wants to set up a "break room" with vending on the first floor of one of the buildings.

He said he has a "contact" with Canteen, which is big here in Hagerstown, MD with the distribution space expansion, but the guy blew him off, wantiong to show him used equipment and not interested.  Am not surprised.  Realator kept saying "coffee, coffee, coffee" and Canteen wants no part of that?

Success at this building will open the other.  The realator is motivated.  Will dedicate a room with seating and utilities.  We pay 10% on net profit.

Have been buying machines from Shermco in Gaithersburg, MD, but he does not carry coffee machines.  So out to DDG search wich turns up the Market One Coffe Machine then Vending.com and Selectivend.com.  Shermco has TVC or can ge me AMS 39

At the meeting today we discussed a coffee machine and a large Combo for cold drinks / snacks.  Makes sense to me if we buy a coffee machine from a vendor might as well get the combo there as well.  Keep things easy.

OK, so asking for some "impressions?", "Reactions?", Advice - Yeah, Advice and reassurance, Please.  Am a little freaked out by the size / requirements of the site as well as the parameters.

Including a pic of Irving.  🙂

Thanks for reading - ALL 2¢ appreciated.

Blessings,

Ted

Irving Owl The Wise Choice.jpg

In most cases, a location is considered a "good location" if it can handle a drink machine and a snack machine.  It sounds like you'll have plenty foot traffic but drinks normally sell more quickly than snacks.  How many can you get into the combo machine you're looking at?  If all goes well, you'll be loading the drinks more often than the snacks creating extra trips to service that one machine.  Perhaps consider a drink machine sitting next to your AMS. 

And then work on the coffee side of things.

• Like 1

This is a little sketchy as there will be no security for your machines.  If you do it though, use full size machines.  That way, when the account stinks you can move them to better locations and you aren't stuck with the limited locations that a combo machine can be used in.  You're going to have to figure out the coffee for yourself if you can find a rebuilder near you that will refurb a coffee machine for you.  An AP 213 would be ideal but don't be surprised if this all fails to produce a profit.  You have no idea how many of the tenants have vending or coffee of their own already.

• Like 1

WOW - Great Feedback!

OK - updates:
1) The building will be putting in a security camera for that area that ties into the building system.
2) The door to the area auto locks at 6PM until 7AM M-F  Same with the exterior doors.
3) Access beyond those hours is by FOB only
4) Spoke to the realtor this morning to let him know about the availability of a coffee machine - he's Pleased.

So, this apparently is at the "planning" stage - he needs to discuss with the partners and owners, but he is motivated to get his going.  He is sticking to the August 1st timeline so he must think he can sell this.

Agreed - Full size Combo is a MUST, was also thinking about a separate soda machine.  We adhere to the "30 mile 30 minute rule" and the site is 10 minutes from the house.  Also, we have a "standard" machine for all sites - AMS 39 or either of the TVC Combos, so relocation would not be an issue.

Still wondering why coffee is an issue . . .  health concerns?  Understand the offices having separate coffee machines, but that would most likely be for staff?  The walk-in traffic reportedly can be as high as 300 per day.

Will keep you guys updated.  The idea that no one is PooPooing the offer is encouraging.

Blessings,

Ted

Totally imported from Asia. Please don't buy them. You will regret it, if not now, then down the road. Get good used machines.

• Like 1

I have no idea who wearevending.com is but please, do not buy from the internet.  

Now, AMS is a great machine and Selectivend is good.  You should know that Wittern Group builds and sells their machines under the Selectivend name (internet and Sams Club), Federal name (secondary distributors) and USI name (full distributors).  There's probably a couple of names I forgot but they do build pretty good stuff.  AMS is now owned by Seaga which is a crappy importer who builds machines under their name claiming that they are US built machines, but every part is made in Asia and they are junk.  So far they haven't ruined AMS but time will tell.  But really, you need to find someone near you that sells used machines and see if you trust them to buy their stuff and save some money.

FYI - wearevending.com is Shermco - the company in Gathersburg, MD where we normally buy our machines.  They are a "real" small business, (have been there several times), with a good staff.  They have started making the TVC machines as thier own contribution to the industry.  Had no idea they were made overseas, but am not really surprised.

Will definately look at Selectivend.  They also have the coffee machines.  🙂

Thanks for all the help!

Blessings,

Ted

Now you know why they are still so "small."  Their name has been around for a long time but they can't seem to get larger.  They don't even type complete sentences or even capitalize words in their webpage description of the machine.  Pretty third world-like.

Yikes…. Some of those prices on the wherever vending website. Just yikes.

I should start a vending machine sales website, take orders, and then just order the machine straight from usi.

im not into coffee… so I can’t speak to that. Whole other animal that so far I want no part of.

id be looking into quality refurbished machines, a snack and a soda…. No combo unless there’s no space. The biz won’t have a clue that the machines you put there were refurbs if you maintain them and use quality USA built machines.

• 3 weeks later...

A follow up - the Realtor basically ghosted me when I kept trying to get back to him,

BUT

Thanks for all the Great information folks - Truy Appreciated!  Have changed our product lineup as well based upon information we foound here.

Out looking for our next site.  🙂

Blessings!

Ted

Betson Enterprises and Gekay Sales are national distributors in the northeast.  They've been in business forever, are reputable and have a wealth of knowledge in service and contacts.  I'm almost certain they both offer used equipment as well.  You might check into them if you're still looking for a distributor to work with.