Box truck recommendations

Zachsea

Good after noon everyone

We are looking to finance a box truck for everyday route running. We have a little over 100 customers and currently run our route from a 16ft box trailer towed by my 2500 gmc and all our accounts have large lots for parking so length of vehicle and parking isn’t an issue. I’ve been looking into the 16ft box npr isuzu diesel trucks but want to know what you guys might recommend truck and features wise. I am open to gas powered box trucks as well but have never owned a gas burning vehicle so it’s not my preference. We’re in Southern Georgia North Florida so flat land, no hills, etc. 

Congrats on your growth Zach.  I used exclusively Izuzu NPR 14' diesels on our routes.  16' is overkill unless you've found it to be needed already. They are workhorses.  Just keep the oil full so you don't starve the turbo.  The engine top end must be fully rebuilt at 100K but they are bulletproof engines.  We ran engine driven reefer units on our insulated bodies.  Put a roll top safe in and canterlevered shelves to hold your products or totes.  Just like in your trailer, put the soda on the bottom shelf and all the other on the upper two shelves.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

Congrats on your growth Zach.  I used exclusively Izuzu NPR 14' diesels on our routes.  16' is overkill unless you've found it to be needed already. They are workhorses.  Just keep the oil full so you don't starve the turbo.  The engine top end must be fully rebuilt at 100K but they are bulletproof engines.  We ran engine driven reefer units on our insulated bodies.  Put a roll top safe in and canterlevered shelves to hold your products or totes.  Just like in your trailer, put the soda on the bottom shelf and all the other on the upper two shelves.

Thank you and thank you for the advice! Have you had much experience with the ones that use DEF? My only concern is issues with the emissions. 

I’d give a good look at the gas motors. A lot of large fleets are shifting away from diesels due to the increased cost of maintenance and emissions related repairs. There’s a reason the big 3 are coming out with new gas motors for work truck applications still. For the Isuzu, the new ones should have the Chevy 6.6 for the gas motor option, which is pretty decent.

I’d also look into F4/550s or the Chevy equivalent, much more comfortable to drive than the Isuzus. The main reason in my opinion to get an Isuzu is for it’s good turning radius and maneuverability, but that seems like not a concern for you. If you want something cheap the van based cutaways (Ford E series, Chevy Express/GMC Savanna) are also popular.

• Thanks 1

I could put my old NPRs into any parking space.  The turning radius was great.  The seats weren't bad but we only drove 50 miles max between stops or to the start or end of a route.

• Thanks 1