--New Feature-- Member Reputation

caserri

Read the thread for the question  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Read the thread for the question

We have just installed and enabled a new feature here at VENDiscuss called a Reputation System. This feature will allow anyone to vote for a member based on a specific post and/or thread. The system will track all votes, good or bad, and generate a list of our most respected and least respected members. This list will be posted in the "More Stats" section.

Here is a link to "More Stats"-- http://vendiscuss.com/forum/index.php?action=stats

The beauty of this system is that when you cast a vote for someone, you will have the ability to write a short comment about why you are making your vote. That comment will be stored in the members reputation file, located in their profile. Their rep file will tell them who voted for them and what comments where left.

Here are the specifics on how the system is set up at the moment. These parameters can be changed so if anyone feels something should be different, please voice your opinion.

++ To give reputation, click on the heart icon under the post profile of the member. (Under their avatar on the post.)

++ Only members with PLUS status or higher can give either positive or negative reps.

++ A member will receive 1 rep point each time someone votes for his/her post or 1 negative rep point if someone disagrees. Please do not abuse the negative votes.

++ A member will receive 1 power point for each 10 points they receive.

++ A members bar graph will grow each time they get 50 points.

++ A member is allowed to give out 5 points each day.

++ You can only give points to the same member once in a day.

Just a note.

When you click on the heart icon, the box to enter your vote and comment will appear at the top of the thread. You'll have to scroll up to see it if you are voting on a post other than post #1.

At least that's how it appears on my browsers, IE, FF and Safari.

Nevermind. I have disabled this again. I thought it was working properly but it still has a few bugs I need to iron out.

I'll post here when it up and running.

Sorry!  :-[

It is allowing me to vote [good] or [bad], tested by voting your last post good. I am a little concerned about the heated discussions resulting from charity locations, though only time will tell if our members are mature enough to respect different points of view and strategies. I'd like to think that we all are, though I'm not sure of it yet. The willingness to be controversial with the respect to engage in dialogue frequently leads to the most important insights in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks, I'm tired of playing around with this rep system. I'm happy to say that I have hired someone who is way smarter than me to write us a new POTD system. It is still in the developmental stage and we are discussing the options. For those who remember the POTD system, this new system will be much better. Details to follow.

I am now pleased to announce that our new post recognition system is now live. You will notice the voting options in the upper right corner of each post. See pic below.

Here are the configurations.

Right now, I am only allowing post voting to occur in the "Vending Topics" category. This is where I feel that members should be rewarded for good posts. You will not be able to vote for any post elsewhere on the site, such as here in community announcements, or the Swap and Shop, or breakroom, etc... If anyone feels we should extend the voting to other topics, please let me know.

Members are allowed to cast either a "Good Post" vote or a "Bad Post" vote. The total sum of each members voted on posts (good minus bad) will show up in both their profile and posts as "Respect" Obviously the higher the number the more respect (or positive post votes) the member has.

There is a new category on the stats page, found here===> http://vendiscuss.com/forum/index.php?action=stats

that will keep track of and display our most respected members AND the top voters on the board so we can see who is voting for posts.

The negative rated posts will be "grayed out" You can still read them but you will be aware of its negative rating by the fact that its grayed out.

This new feature was professionally installed by a firm I hired to tailor it to our forum. These custom services are not cheap. I would like to thank everyone who made a donation to the site. Your support is what makes projects like this possible.

There is much more to come but I am going to roll out the premium features gradually so it doesn't send us all into shock like the software change did!  ;D

GPBP.bmp

Just a note.

You can vote as many times as you want in a day but you can only vote once for a particular post. Also, once your vote is cast, you can change your vote or withdraw it alltogether.

• 4 weeks later...

Come on guys! Lets get involved by voting up those posts you feel deserve it! I just looked at the stats and it seems that only about 5 of us are voting these posts up on a regular basis.

Lets help the community by recognizing those who make quality posts. All it takes is 1 click of the mouse.

• 1 month later...

Where is the respect meter?  It has disappeared.  To me it was one of the most interesting things to look at! 

Regards,

Rob

IT STARTED TO GET ABUSED AND sTEVE DELETED IT.i THINK MEMBERS WITH 1000 posts or more should be able to use this feature.the reasoning being if you stick around for 1000 posts you are more likely to be a serious vendor and person.

IT STARTED TO GET ABUSED AND sTEVE DELETED IT.i THINK MEMBERS WITH 1000 posts or more should be able to use this feature.the reasoning being if you stick around for 1000 posts you are more likely to be a serious vendor and person.

Although my # of posts wouldn't qualify me (not even close) to give respect under the suggested guideline quoted, I want to cast my "vote" of approval.

I think this is a GREAT idea Antonio.

The tenured members wouldn't lose the ability to give the respect points PLUS the newbies like me could still see how "respected" members are while reading through threads.

1pt/day was what I originally thought - I had PM'd Steve about this. It is kind of like the old POTD. However, I think you can vote once you are over X points is better because there are often multiple posts made during the same day that deserve a vote.

Also, 1 vote/day can still be abused. A member can make 10 logins and make 10 votes :(

I still think a casual user should be able to use it.  I use the boards regularly but I have no where near 1000 posts. 

Maybe 50+ Posts and 1 Point Per Day.  That way you really use your respect points for great posts!

Regards,

Rob

1000 posts is pretty reasonable imo.if you do 50 all the newbs will just post stff like I agree or thats what I do or what ever to up their post count,kinda like the members plus section.maybe you being a sponsor and respected member could be allowed to use it.

Archived