Crane 157 Door Screw Spinning with Nut

hello vendors, 

I need to remove the door on one of my crane 157s in order to navigate a tricky corner, but the problem is that when I try to turn the nut with my wrench, the entire screw spins. I'm having a hard time creating any pressure to remove the nut because the screw it's attached to is a flat top. Has anyone run into this before? Advice is always appreciated from the folks on this forum. 

Are you saying the flush screw doesn't have a flat blade, philips blade or inside hex key slot at all?  That's very doubtful.  Get up there and look at it.

I have looked at it and it doesn't have a flat, phillips, or hex slot at all. It perplexed me the first time I removed the door. There's a 157 right next to the one I'm referring to, and 3/4 screws have some type of fitting except for the one giving me trouble

To my knowledge no one makes a screw like that, at least not on purpose.  You could grind a slot into it with a Dremel so a flat blade screwdriver could hold it.  Very strange.

If the screw is slightly loose and you can fit a screwdriver blade in under the nut then pry down and away on the nut to jam the screw against the hole while trying to turn the nut.  Plan on replacing the screw too.

I might go the dremel route only bc I see that being a useful tool in the future. The screw/nut is in such a narrow part of the door creating any kind of leverage seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.

Also, you should not need to remove the machine door to get through the doorway. Is this  a standard doorrway?We have always been able to get a 167 through a 32 inch door by removing the knockouts on the machine.

I had to remove them to get through the doorway because there’s a cinderblock wall directly that the door/ delivery bin would make contact with before the entire cabinet could pass through the doorway, even with the panels removed.

i might be able to avoid that removing the machines since I’m going the opposite way, but it’s pretty narrow and I’m anticipating the same issue 

Hey everyone, 

Link to the photos of the flat top screw + photos of the doorway:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OcE2Rr-Wt2_t99fWuptsGOYLeYcuZ7Oj?usp=sharing

The doorway itself isn't the problem, it's the wall directly through it and the close proximity of the wall on the right after you walk through it. 

We use hardware like this on outside facing hinges. Prevents anyone from being able to remove a hinge from outside the machine. 

There is likely a square shoulder on that blot that drops into a like shaped hole in the hinge plate. This prevents the bolt from spinning. Push down on the head to keep it in place while turning the nut on the threaded end.

2 hours ago, Vendo Mike said:

We use hardware like this on outside facing hinges. Prevents anyone from being able to remove a hinge from outside the machine. 

There is likely a square shoulder on that blot that drops into a like shaped hole in the hinge plate. This prevents the bolt from spinning. Push down on the head to keep it in place while turning the nut on the threaded end.

Thanks, Mike. I'll look for that. If I don't see it I'll resort to either dremeling the screw head or figuring out a way to create counter pressure so I can spin the nut while keeping the screw in place.

@AZVendor This location was only supposed to be temporary. I had 4 four machines at two separate locations that merged into one while they built a new facility. It grosses $2500 a month, so to me well worth the trouble, though unfortunately I'm in the process of losing it.