question about locators

proshine43

hello all. i just hired kick start for my first location. my question is these locators jobs are to get us locations, right? not just leads. this is my first one so i dont know what to expect. i have 10 more to place just waiting on $ and to see how well kickstart does. ive heard good things about them.

Yes proshine43 they will get you excellent locations, not leads.  They will find you very good locations.  And the best part about kickstart is there is no minimum order.  If you want one location you place an order for one location.  If you need fifty locations, you can pay for 50.  They are really fast too about getting locations.  You will get an email from them about the location, contact info and the best time to place your vending machine.  You will fall in love with these guys and gals.  i know I have, I leave all of my locating to kickstart.

Check out Rob's drop off tips, I believe they are on his website and there is a link in the location e-mail he sends you. Here are somethings to know:

Do

Wear a charity name badge, it makes it easier for stressed out and busy workers to recognize you and know how to respond

Introduce yourself giving your name clearly, and be confident. Kickstart gives locations, not leads. Here is an example.

"Hi, I'm Brandon Roy and I'm doing the National Children's Cancer Society Vendor Outreach program. [Manager Name] approved us to drop off a candy machine. Would you show me where to put it?"

Do not:

"Hey I brought this candy machine for you guys. My companies Idestroygoodlocations vending, and if you know anywhere else that we could put some machines please tell me about it. I really enjoy expanding my business and this NCCS thing works pretty good. Some manager said it was cool for me to bring this in, I'll just put it over here. Take good care of it, because I don't want your customers trying to steal from it."

Do: Shave, or trim your beard neatly if you have one.

Do not: Avoid showers

Do: Wear clean clothes, something with buttons is nice.

Do not: Smoke outside before going in.

It's pretty basic, and it can be pretty fun. My last drop off from Rob they told me to put my machine near the other one, and I saw a terminator. Then they told me not to worry, because they were booting the other vendor since his candy was stale and he kept reaching in with bare hands to stir the old candy around when he poured in new stuff on top of it. It's always a good sign when someone's first locator is Robert rather than Phillip.

Welcome to the boards, enjoy your stay.

You've got me laughing.  I started reading your Do's and Don'ts and I was thinking did I really write that?!

Your slight modification is exactly what I meant when writing it though! 

I have one client who had dropped off 50+ locations and never missed a beat.  Never one problem.  It's because he knows what to say when he gets there.  Of course it's my job to let you know what to say when you arrive.  I'm going to have to make this drop off process more prominent.

Regards,

Rob

thanks for the advice, made me feel more at ease. I will place this one and put in  another order in a week or so and next month hopefully I'll put in a big order. Thanks for all your advice.

When you put in the big order, tell him to give a free one to Lurtsman :)

Yeah, I thought that was a good one for my first location. I don't know if ordering the restaurants and bars only was the difference maker, but I will try that again.

Kelly, I'm not sure if it will go in the entrance or the back, were do you all think they will have me put it? Do the chains let you place machines in the front-I hope so. :)

Applebee's lets vendors put machines in the front.  Hopefully that's where it will go.  If you have a great looking machine, I would suggest bringing that one with you.  Maybe a Beaver or similar,  better chances of it going by the entrance.  If you don't have one, let them know you will get a shiny new machine if they will let you put it out front. ;)

I hope your right cavity about them letting you place up front. I have a brand new blue NW60 on the tempo stand that I'm taking in there. What do you think about this though. The order confirmation that I received from Rob stated that the Manager approved a candy machine placed in their restaurant, with a candy preference of m&m's. I have my machine all set up with label and product to vend polarmint gum, that's the niche I kind of was planning to start with for now. Should I bring in the gum machine setup and hope the manager is okay with that (I think it would do very well in the entrance/exit of a Applebee's) or switch the setup to m&m's before I even get their. I don't want to mess this location up.       

tempo stands are not my favorite, but they are fine. I would definitely put the requested product in there. if you don't you might get the bump. you can always turn it into a double down the road! I have done this a few times with success.

Well if the machine does go up front, there is a very high probability that a regional manager from out of town will veto it and have it removed.  Sometimes you get lucky and they stay in for a while because the regional guy and the local manager don't really care.  But usually the charity machine's days are numbered - especially if there is a change of local or regional managers.  Not trying to be negative, but now in my 10th year, I have seen and experienced this many times.  Hope it works out.

FYI,  I once had an Applebees in the kitchen.  The vendor in the lobby was paying a commission.  Sometimes a commission vendor will see a charity machine and bad mouth it (only $1 per month goes to charity, etc.) to the manager just to get your spot.  For those reasons, I no longer pursue charity machines in a lobby of corporate chains - they are much safer in the break room.

Jax

Yeah JP I'm going to see how the tempo works out, seems pretty secure.

Jax-maybe I should hope the manager wants it in the back then huh, should be plenty of employee's wanting some snacks. Maybe that's why she mentioned m&m's. The m&m's candy choice didn't specify PMM or MM, which would you get?

Go with MMP for sure!  MM plain is a real dud for me.  Some local managers think they have more authority than they really do and others simply don't know the corporate policy on vending and/or charity machines.  If the local manager allows it up front, then great - do it.  But just be prepared for that phone call to come and get it.  If that happens, then ask to be placed in the kitchen area.  I once had a restaurant where the GM thought that it was a great idea in the lobby, but when I went back to service, the owner had it placed in the kitchen.  He just happend to be there and told me that it would be inappropriate to have that kind of machine in his 4 (or 5) star restaurant!  Now if is does stay up front, I would also consider a toy since toys sell great in restaurants.

Jax

Buy the reg. MM, then buy a double plate to mount another head next month.  Whether it goes in front/back doesn't matter tonight.  Just try to get it placed.  If it starts to do well, then you cover your as$ and offer the manager some $ so you don't lose your location there.  Our Applebees has a Beaver Triton out front that looks great.  Looks like it does well too.  I have a Hooter's breakroom that's not too shabby.  Won't let us put it in front though.  Just get it placed, then worry(that's the good kind of worry we all want!) about the upgrade.

Be very polite to them, but also understand that managers of chain restaurants have very little actual authority. The regional manager will usually be a tool used to being sucked up to and only executing the book on how the locations are supposed to be operated. People who have real business sense build their own businesses. (Like vending)

Yea, you just never know about those corporate chains.  I got 3 of them once and was ready to curse the locator out.  But instead I put them in and held them to their guarantee.  That was 18 months ago and all 3 are still kicking.  The funny thing is that the manager even acknowledges the machine is prohibited, but he doesn't mind it being there.  The regional manager also doesn't mind it (or care) according to the local manager.  Hopefully, the corp auditors stay away!

But that unfortunately is the exception for me!  I have had many phone calls usually within a week after placement to come and pick it up.

Jax

Depending on the company, it can be a while before corporate heads come in to a location, and then they may not even notice the vending machine.  These things do have a tendency to fade into the background.

They may see it, but will they notice it?

Depending on the company, it can be a while before corporate heads come in to a location, and then they may not even notice the vending machine.  These things do have a tendency to fade into the background.

They may see it, but will they notice it?

Good point.  That is always what we bulk vendors hope will happen.  If that is indeed the case, then the machine is usually "safe" until a major change occurs - new owner, new manager, remodeling, etc.

Will they notice?  Well, there is a higher probability they will notice an 8-select uturn skyscraper than a single head gumball.  In those situations, size mattters and smaller is usually better!

Jax