What type of vehicle do you use for vending?

s.weir

Hello,

I was just wondering what everyone uses for vehicles.  Next year I will just be using my car to run my combo (beverage and snacks) machines route, but soon I will probably have to get a van in order to carry around enough inventory for my weekly route run.  At what point should I buy a vehicle solely for my route?  I am thinking probably at about 20 machines if not before.  I have pretty good locations so they require weekly restocking, plus I am constantly expanding so.

Scott

honda civic lol I just started and yes it sucks.  I had cans to the roof in my car and on my initial fill they fell on top of me while driving.  I am a college student so have to use what I have so far.  The initial fill is the hardest but after that I dont carry as much and just make sure my stops stay filled.  One of my locations is pretty slow though and really only needs servicing once a month.

I worked out of a Ford Ranger with a camper top to start with. When I started doing about 5k/month I had to move up. I'm using a step van now (retired Postal Service vehicle, about 14 foot). I absolutely love it. It is soooo much more efficient and easy to work out of. I highly recommend step vans. They are great in inclement weather, and quick to get in and out of. Mine has a 1600 lb lift gate on the back, but I rarely use it because it is so easy to load anyway.

I just use my personal vehicle, a Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab pick up with a camper shell.  Not ideal but gets the job done.  I just got going last year too so I am just using what I have and luckily it hauls everything I need.  Only bad thing is I have to crawl in sometimes to get product.  Other than that plenty of payload.

Get a good quality vehicle that will meet your projected needs for 2-3 years. If it not a commercial vehicle designed for the kind of loads you will have the suspension will be shot by then.

As for when you go to an exclusive route vehicle, that will happen when you get and tired of loading and unloading for business and personal use. ;D

HI,

Step van all the way!.....I was soooo frustrated when the step van went to the shop for maintenance and repairs  and I had to resort the the ol E150 van....THAT was a miserable few days!

I Love my P30 except for the mileage.....If you can find an older one w/ the 4BT you'd be set.....

I have looked high and low for an older P30 diesel but I may end up with a newer Freightliner step van just for the cummins diesel and because they are way easier to find.

Go step vans!

Andrew

PS - In a real pinch I have used my chevy celebrity station wagon to vend out of (both the Step Van and E150 were down.....what were the odds of that happening?).....I would run to the machines, take a list of what each machine needed, run back to the step van make the orders (separate boxes) and the run back to each machine....not as efficient as a step van but sometimes you have to do what you have to do!

• 2 months later...

5x10 enclosed trailer pulled behind my SUV.  I think it works out great.  Room inside to work out of the rain.  If you have any places with tight access, would be a concern.  I only have one but rarely have any issues there.  Take it home when I'm done for the day, back it in the garage, unhook and I'm done.

Chevrolet Astro loaded to the roof.Built racks to hold plastic totes and boxes of chips,installed a divider to keep the sodas in the back over the axle.Won't be long before I need a full size van or an enclosed trailer.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using my Chrysler Crossfire - what is this wrong?  - I can fit two totes and 4 cases of pop if I take the golf clubs out and one of the cases of soda rides in the passenger seat.

(I really had to use the xfire a couple times...not cool)

I have a 1/2 ton GMC with a hard tonnau (sp) cover and a bedslide - I only have 8 machines so far, think I can double that and still use this set-up.  Helps that I have a large outbuilding with racking that holds my inventory - I just pull the orders daily and load the truck before I take off. 

ABC