The UP's and DOWN's of people who don't know or care about, but still vend

s.weir

Hey everybody thought you might find this recent epiphany of mine and the story behind it interesting:

So as some of you might have noticed in my posts I am just getting back into full line and am expanding my route over the course of the next couple years.  In the process of looking at new routes and machines i came across one route that advertised $25000 annual revenue! (It will make sense as i go on the "!" s sarcastic lol)  So I met with the guy and since he was asking an absurd amount for it ($35000) and they were all mechanical machines spread out all over the city (22 of them) it really didn't seem like a great deal to buy.  After meeting with him it became apparent that while this guy was friendly and nice he; 1. Didn't care too much about his route 2. Was a nice guy but a HORRIBLE business man.  In an average month he would only make about $800 profit off his machines.  The revenue was correct (I can prove that without a doubt now) however his profits were SO low because he sold his product too cheaply, bought too expensive product, didn't service his machines more then once ever week and 1/2 to 2 weeks so often the machines were empty or had been jammed for a week, didn't really clean the machines and basically snuck in and snuck out of each location (I know this can be common for operators, but I personally find my being friendly and knowledgeable about the staff help you hold locations).  Eventually we some how ended up on the topic of a possible arrangement of me running the route for him on a weekly basis on a wage.  This has its pros and cons:

Pros: I am a student so the 4 hours a week it will take to do the route fits well into my schedule, the money can be reinvested into my route, if any of the locations he has turn out to be amazing when I start running it like it should be I have the option to buy them from him. Also as they profits increase (from regular service and just common sense practices) my pay is negotiable.  

Cons: I had to sign an agreement saying I wouldn't steal his locations, however this is okay because none of his locations are great and if any are great, the people will need better machines (they might want them in the first place) which my "boss" doesn't want to fork over the money to provide.  So I would just give the manager my card and tell them that if they are unhappy with the machine I would be happy to provide one if they decided to kick out the one in there (I would not however actively try to get the location, if the machine was kicked out however without my influence, they just have the option of a better machine through me).

So we discussed this and then on Tuesday i went on a route run with him (So i know where I am eventually servicing for him) after signing the confidentiality agreement.  I am just going to point for this:

1. He got lost over and over on the way to each locations, following a prehistoric gps (how does he not know his route after so long?!?)

2. Snuck into each location, not really being polite or even warm, but yet not rude...I guess just totally neutral (I warmly said hi and made small talk with employees as we did things)

3. One of the locations had 4 of 8 snakc slots jammed and he didn't have the tools to fix it or any plan to do anything, the guy that lost his money even came over and strongly implied he would like to be reimbursed and after two minutes of awkward silence while we filled the machine (because I couldn't just say "BOSS HE WANTS HIS SNACK!!!") the guy finally had to say, "I don't need my money back, but do you mind if I take a chocolate bar?" to which my boss finally figured it out and gave him one.

4. The machines were all mechanical, never been cleaned etc. (I brought a rag and spray bottle so I was the first to clean them.  This impressed him)  

5. He was not at all dressed to even be out in public let alone on a business run.  Dressed in some old brown vest and a hat because he obviously didn't shower that morning. (I came in a pretty casual collar shirt and jeans)

6. Only brought enough pop for like one machine, even though we were servicing about oh...8.

7. Buys his products really stupidly so he only makes TOPS 40% profits off of any of his items (often alot less)

8. Well there are alot of other things but this is long as it is lol

At each point of the route we would be cordially chatting with each other and in the car we would discuss things and I would mention like what is commonly done and what I usually do.  He was impressed and he definitely knows I know more about this stuff then he does.  Eventually he admitted to not really caring too much about his route because he has a wife, two sons and a full time job and he spends every bit of free time he has with them (and I believe it), thats why he wants someone else t take over until he can sell it (which won't happen because he won't lower the price because its not a big deal for him to keep it apparently, however he is tired of doing it).

So my conclusions:

1. I love people who get into vending and don't know what they are doing because it makes it easier for me to buy their machines cheap, outdo them in quality and service and gain location that just need some TLC to fix.

2. I hate people who go into vending and don't know what they are doing, don't treat it seriously or with common sense because it leaves a bad impression on the locations that they previously serviced.

Hope you found it somewhat interesting ha ha I got a kick out of this morning vend route I ran the other day with him and I think I can really help out this route to his benefit and to my immediate (increased wage from increased profits) and eventual (buying the good locations from him) benefit.

:)

Cheers!

Great post.

Please keep us updated on this project.

My favorite comment on this post:

"2. I hate people who go into vending and don't know what they are doing, don't treat it seriously or with common sense because it leaves a bad impression on the locations that they previously serviced."

People described in that comment right there have done more to harm my ability to get into locations than anything else.

Being in bulk, the excuse I hear more than any other when I am told "no" while trying to locate is,

"No. We're not interested"

followed by,

"The last guy never serviced the machines"

or

"The last machines we had in here were always eating quarters and the vendor never did anything about it"

or

"we had some machines once and we had to throw them out when the guy just stopped coming by".

Regardless of my response - more often than not, I can't win them over.

The previous vendor left too bad of an impression.

Good luck!

Case in point that one of the best things you can do for yourself and your business is to always be "professional". I don't have uniforms..... yet.... Logo and stuff is in the works.... but I NEVER go out to service locations unless I'm wearing a shirt with a collar and jeans or slacks, no shorts. Even in the summer when shorts would make my day more comfortable. My trucks are always relatively clean inside and out, not spotless by any stretch of the imagination but I'm not afraid to let someone see inside.

Keep us posted on how things develop with this.

I anxiously await some updates as this 'situation' progresses.  I have yet to find anything like this route in NJ but I am sure it is out there somewhere. 

5. He was not at all dressed to even be out in public let alone on a business run.  Dressed in some old brown vest and a hat because he obviously didn't shower that morning.

I always dress professionally when servicing or locating.  I also engage the staff at each location as the opportunity arises.  This guys attitude made me want to laugh and cry.

I always dress professionally when servicing or locating.  I also engage the staff at each location as the opportunity arises.  This guys attitude made me want to laugh and cry.

Willis... you summed up exactly how I felt lol.

I forgot to mention that I always shave, shower and comb my hair....those would be givens for most of us, but I think I have to add it for this guy!  I use deodorant too!  ;D

I always wear jeans or slacks when servicing but now that the heat is comming I wear khaki shorts and polo shirt.  Its too humid and hot down here to wear jeans all the time unless I want to pass out lol