Northwestern Triplets

Hillbilly

Here is a picture of the triplets that I picked up at the junk store for a grand total of $5.00.  You can see they are pretty rough.  Steve has been asking for some before pic's so here you go.  These will be done in 2-4 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

These little darling's have been a nightmare.  I think they were in a flood or something.  Every screw in them was tougher than nails to get out.  There was paint peeling all over them and a white chalky residue in the bodies and hoppers. I broke the side out of one of the hopper taking the screws. Full of rust too.

So far I have had to buy 3 bases ,1 hopper,and a 1 globe.  The painting has been tough too. Re-sanded 3 times already and still see a lot of scratches. On the plus side, there was a quarter sticking to the Mylar facing where it wraps over the top of the body.

A few more weeks and they will be done.  Classic Banner red from Wally World with White conspicuity

( the white tape you see on 18 wheeler trailer) tape where the Mylar was.

I just couldn't stand it.  I took off early today and put a few hours in on the machines.  Here is the first one finished.

Please leave some feedback on the tape I used instead of Mylar.  I may try some in different colors.

Please leave some feedback on the tape I used instead of Mylar.  I may try some in different colors.

it looks great! it's hard to believe how bad it used to look. what kind of tape is that and what is cost? I have been painting the front of mine, but I would rather use something like that because  it looks good!

It is conspicuity tape. The reflective tape you see on 18 wheelers.  The white is used on the back of the tractors.  I'll have to get you cost.  I brought this home from work to try it. I'll let you know what it cost.  I know I can get it in red, yellow, and blue.  I am currently quoting a government agency on some really nice blue that may be available in sheet form as well.  You can pick it up at any truck parts store.  Maybe even auto parts stores.

I just finished the 2nd machine this morning. Wanted to paint before the humidity rises.  Will probably be my last chance until the weekend.  Lighting is not the best in these pics.

Sorry but I'm still a newb, what are you guys talking about tape? mylar? Where was there 'mylar' on the machine, and what is mylar - is that how the machines originally came from the manufacturer, or is mylar part of some cheapo refurb attempt made by the previous owner?

Thanks!

On a Super 60 Northwestern, when they are ordered new the silver or gold front is called Mylar.  You can also get a louvered front. It is basically a sticker type material tat is very strong and tear resistant. It has a raised appearance to it. When buying the used machines, it is usually torn and discolored so I took it off and put this tape on.

• 4 weeks later...

This Super 60 is finally done.  I am waiting for a .50 upgrade kit to put in it and of course the tape that I use. It is placed beside a Super 80 on one of my toy mini racks.

I originally gave 30.00 for all 3 machines.  There was a $20 and a $5 in one of the machines so that made it $5 for all 3 machines.  I had to use bases for all 3 machines,1 globe,1 hopper,3 locks, and 1 upgrade kit. Some of this was new and I had some of it used. There is about $60 in parts if I count the difference in swapping candy wheels for capsule wheels and brushes,paint,new screws, and locks. I probably have about 10-12 hours of actual work time involved.

So probably $65-70 Not counting my time. If I count my time I've probably got $300 in them.Depend on what value you put on the labor. Also have to figure in the Gatorade consumed while working. Lets just say if I count my labor I could have bought new ones.

I really enjoy working on them and I think that there is some value added for that. Relaxation Therapy if you will. Just like the doctor ordered. Also why I play the piano. :D

The white one is completed now as well. It has red tape on the front. I am having a problem with the fit of the hopper I used so I did not photograph it yet. I may have to disassemble and "assist" it a little bit. I may have to touch the paint up. It has the .50 mech. The other 2 still have .25 mechs now.

I have to agree with Hillbilly! There's something about finding great deals on used machines and adding your own personal touch to them.

I also really enjoy refurbing machines . I would consider that part of my business more of a hobby and thats what makes it worth it.

I don't refurb all the used machine I buy because there is alot of work in it so I will only do the machines that need it the most. One negative  thing I will say is  after I put all that time and effort into the machines it would be hard to swallow if one were to get swiped!! knock on wood this hasn't happened yet !

I recently invested in a mini air grinder.  They use grinding wheels or Roloc discs made by 3M.  I can now take the paint off an entire machine except cracks and crevices in about 5 minutes.  That will speed up the refurbish time.  Thanks for the compliment.

Guest admin

It won't let me post any pics. Says the uploader file is full. Guess steve has to do something.

Attachment folder size increased. Please try again.