a few questions about refurbishing machines...

mizugori

I am interested in trying to refurbish some machines as there is an exhaustive supply of beat up machines around me; they turned me off at first because I didn't want to screw around with questionable hardware on my first few spots. Now that I have some machines out there and working I am interested in trying a refurb or two to see how it goes.

First, aren't the good machines like NW and beaver powder coated? I thought I read that they were, so shouldn't they be very difficult to scratch? And if you sand them down and re-paint them, doesn't that mean now they will scratch easy as hell because now it's just regular paint?

If you want to re-paint a machine, what kind of paper do you sand it down with (ie what grain #,) how much do you sand it down, do you want it to be smooth or have some texture? Do you then use some kind of primer - if so, what kind? Then what kind of paint do you use? Do you brush or spray it on and what brand do you use and where do you buy it?

How do you deal with problems like those spring things that push the product around being bent, broken, or missing?

Do you buy parts you need to replace on ebay, from the manufacturers, or somewhere else - or do you try to get used but working parts to replace them with?

Thanks!!

Here is what I do.

I buy Oak Vista machines(Flat panels,300 globes,and 450 globes)NW 60 series, and A&A equivalent of all those. The parts are plentiful and cheap if you have to buy new from A&A Global Industries. I'll also buy something else if it is really cheap.

I take them all the way apart and just start repairing or replacing what is needed.

I just use regular sandpaper and Krylon paint from Walmart. I put a lot of elbow grease into it.  I am probably a lot pickier than some would be. Scratch pads work good and so does some steel wool. I use all new screws. I also look at each mechanism and try it with coins. Sometimes all they need are disassembled and a really good cleaning. The grease a lot of people use gets hard and congeals and fouls everything up.  I use Brakleen to clean them really good.(Be careful, it may take the chrome plating off)  WD40 and PlastX for the globes.Chrome polish for the chute doors and mech's. And some secret recipes for some other stuff.

I also will only pay about 1/2 of what the machines are new. Normally between $20 and $30. Including shipping.  That way if I have to buy some parts, it is still reasonable. The more you do the more parts you accumulate and the easier it is to come up with machines when you need them. I also will buy parts lots when I can find them cheap enough.

• 3 weeks later...

What do you use the WD40 on the globe for?

I am loving this thread HillBilly. I know a fair bit about refurbs, but still less than you. Hopefully this fleet of 80 machines will raise the bar on my knowledge. Do you find the krylon is superior to rustoleum? Are you stripping all the old paint, it sounds like it from all the scrubbing.

Hey lurts. The WD40 is used to remove the sticker residue. When you scrape the old stickers or tape off the machines a sticky type gunk is left on them. Any cheap rust penetrant sprayed on a shop rag will easily remove it.

I only take the machines down to bare metal if they are really bad.  I do however use the scuff pads all over. It smooths out any rough sanded area's and "etches" the remaining topcoat so that the new paint or primer will have something to stick to. Its kind of like concrete. If you spread it on a piece of plastic it wouldn't stick but if you spread it on screen wire it would. Because it has something to hold on to.

I use to use wd40 to remove sticker residue but I was having problems getting the new sticker to adhere, I now use oops, it doesnt leave anything behind. Im sure I could have used glass cleaner behind the wd40 but lets face it Im lazy! ;D

Thin coats of paint....several of them.  Nothing like getting in a hurry with spray paint, and leaving a big spot of slag on the side of a machine.  Then the fun starts....sanding again....

Would you post some pics of the machine right before you paint them--up close so I can see how much scuffing has been done? I have a very fine sand paper type pad, and some very coarse steel wool. Which would be better for this task?

during this heat and humidity I only paint one piece at the time, I take it inside and put near the ac unit, I was painting several then moving inside and I had problems with orange peel. This method has eliminated that.