evaporator icing

royal vending mach.  the evaporator stared icing up all the sudden....replace the thermostat?:huh:  coils seem to be pretty clean, wasnt doing this before,  door seal is good

Is it frosting all the way across or just on one side? Is the ice solid or crystalized? Pretty clean may not be good enough so you might try cleaning it up good and make sure the cabinet isn't pushed right up against the wall. What type of location is it in? Outside, inside, a/c or no?

Is it frosting all the way across or just on one side? Is the ice solid or crystalized? Pretty clean may not be good enough so you might try cleaning it up good and make sure the cabinet isn't pushed right up against the wall. What type of location is it in? Outside, inside, a/c or no?

I've got the exact same problem... 

Crystalized

Warehouse

No AC

Not pushed up against the wall

Coils are as clean as I can get them - how do you clean them?

Good to know that I wasn't the only one with this problem!

But mine is an outdoor machine  and it probably didn't help that I checked it everyday.  my tray at the bottom was full of water, I emptied it and cleaned the drain hose (it was clogged)  mine is fine and dandy now.

Quick study on refrigeration.

In order to properly understand the why we need to do what we do to make cold drinks it is easier if you understand how the cooling process takes place. IT DOESN'T. When we coll product what we are actually doing is removing the heat from the machine and removing the heat from the product. We do this by using a gas that evaporates at a very low temperature and pump it through tube to force expansion that will allow the gas to absorb this heat. Once we absorb the heat we need to get rid of it. This is done by circulating room temperature over the condensor coils and removing the heat from the gas. We then compress the gas in the dome and start over again (obviously, simplified). Knowing that the job of the compressor is to remove heat you can see why it is so important to keep your condensor clean and machine away from the wall.

As far as cleaning the condensor there are many ways. Depending on the location will determine what works for you. Compressed gas works extremely well . I'm not talking those little cans, either a compressor (100+psi or a tank of Co2 or Nitrogen). The downside, you will put up a huge cloud dust if your unit is dirty and it can set off smoke detectors. Barring that you can try a stiff bristled brush or coil cleaner. About coil cleaner, the prices vary tremondously based upon what you are looking for. Most of the cheap stuff will work but will stink so bad it can make your eyes water. If you are using it in a subshop, lunchroom, or C-store you need to break down and buy the good stuff. FDA approved and not chemical smelling.

Next, the compressor in a soda machine (or anything that uses one) is just like a dehumidfier. It will remove moisture in the system by freezing it, and melting it into a liquid where it can be disposed of. A evaporator that has ice all the way across is usually showing that the system has a good charge and we need to look eslewhere. Crystalized ice is usually moisture. Are your gasets in god shape? Any pulled and misaligned, is the delivery door flap closing properly or missing? Is the door closed tight?

When you ready to leave your location grab a small piece of paper and place it against the condesor fins. The fan should pull it against the fins and hold it there. Next time you service the machine the paper should be on the floor of the machine. This will tell us that the compressor is doing its job and getting cold enough to satisfy the thermostat.

Being in New England (don't know where you are) I can tell you the humidity and heat we are experiencing is showing all the borderline problems that were never really an issue, but in this environment has become an issue.

I turned off the compressor for a few hours and was able to get all the out.  I used a brush to clean the intake.  When you say use air... Exactly how do you recommend cleaning it properly?

I put a piece of paper on it and will go back in the morning and the paper is on the bottom does that tell me the thermostat is working properly?

Thanks

Michael

I put a piece of paper on it and will go back in the morning and the paper is on the bottom does that tell me the thermostat is working properly?

Thanks

Michael

Put a piece of paper on the compressor (very bottom of machine)  if the paper has dropped in the morning, then yes,  Your machine is cooling enough to make the thermostat happy.