Maka Bill Validator - Repair or Replace?

Pbuckler

On an old National 145 (Snacktron) machine I have a Maka NB-1KB-400 bill validator. It's having a hard time pulling the bills up into the validator. I'm wondering if I should just replace this unit or repair it. I know I could get it apart and cleaned. But I'm not sure if doing this to such an old unit is really worth it.

If I do replace it with a newer unit would I need a conversion kit? What would I need?

If its having a hard time puling them in the first thing to do is to get a DBV cleaning card which will clean the sensors and belts. If you still have the problem after that if you are mechanically inclined its not too difficult to pull unit out and install new belts. That ought to solve the problem.

No need to replace it if it works.

here lately it seems that dbv are going for cheap on ebay.try to find one that will fit your machine,if you cant inexpensively repair what you have.if you end up buying a dbv buy a mars, they are the most reliable,and simply the best.

Maka are known to have issues with the belts. Most people would say replace it with a Mars but I just rebuild mine because 98% of the time it is just the belts. The two short belts are fairly easy but the two long belts are a little tough. It can be done but takes a little patience.

Here are the belt kits as cheap as you will find them.

http://echangemaker.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=7067

Just so you know I do not work for them or get any "kickback" from them. I just have used them in the past and had good service with them as a company.

You can get the cleaning cards off Ebay  or the company I listed sells them also. I suggest you just buy 25 cards or so and have them on hand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Dollar-Bill-Validator-Acceptor-Cleaning-Cards-NIB-/260351892645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Backing of now!!! :)

On those cleaning cards, we always used ours 2 or 3 times before tossing them. After you use them to clean your validator  put it back into a good baggie.  Then when you need one again you just pull it out and add a good video cleaner from Radio Shack. Keep reusing until they are just too dirty to use.

Blue Moose

thanks for the little trick pop lady!I would use a cleaning card on a few machines and then just throw away,didnt think of moisten it up.even if I had I wouldnt have known with what.it will be an even longer while now before I have to buy these expensive cards.

My 2cents replace it they quit making then like 15 years ago it worth the money to upgrade. Less calls for bill jams. We took over a company about 3 years ago and first thing we did was take every metal mars and maka off every machine. It took about 2 weeks for people to start putting bills in the machines because they were so picky on what bills they would take that customers just quit trying to put bills in them

We still repair a lot of the older MAKA vals. They are workhorses!!  You either have the belts slipping or a bent mouthpiece. I wouldn't put a lot of money into upgrading. The only thing that I know that will even fit in the MAKA's place is a Coinco BA30BAB (which is not a common val) and a mounting kit. A properly repaired MAKA will still get you years of use. I agree that the val is old but so is the machine. The MAKA is/was always a better validator then the Mars VFM series but people seem to accept the VFM easier.

Clean the belts-use a cleaning card or a simple green. Better is to replace the belts (at least the lower ones)

Thanks to everyone for their info! I looked into the site RJT recommended and found both sets of belts cheaper than anywhere I could find and cleaning cards cheaper than anywhere, even eBay. So for about $20 I'll try and repair it. Thanks again, especially  RJT.