What are the dangerous things to avoid as a vendor

The most dangerous things to avoid as a vendor:

1) Arguing with the vindictive 300 pound lady from accounting about the price on chips.

2) Driving 80 mph in downtown to get to an account that is about to close for the day.

3) Carrying 4 cases of 20 oz. bottles because your dolly has a flat tire and you want to save an extra trip.

4) Buying a location from another vendor who swears its a great account, but he is just too busy to service it.

5) Making complete meals out of what you sell.

6) Rationalizing with a petroleum trucker who has just been ripped off by your machine.

7) Antares machines

B) Dreams of wealth, glory, and frequent trips to Vegas to blow your extra cash.

Just a few things that come to mind ...  :D

Gogo That is great! I guess the only thing I am concerned about is Kevin mentioned about people have been electrocuted by soda and snack machines.  Should I be concerned about my route driver getting hurt if he is fixing machines or customers getting hurt because my route driver repaired wires? Thanks

Gogo That is great! I guess the only thing I am concerned about is Kevin mentioned about people have been electrocuted by soda and snack machines.  Should I be concerned about my route driver getting hurt if he is fixing machines or customers getting hurt because my route driver repaired wires? Thanks

No trying to be ugly but I am not sure why these type questions are even asked. Of course you should be "concerned" about those things. Think of it this way, obviously you are concened or you would have never asked the question or thought of asking the question. If it is a concern to you then find out how to protect yourself the best way possible.

Get the proper insurances and any paperwork needed to hire and keep employees, doing business in your state and city, etc. Then you will limit your concerns to a minium. But as the old saying goes "people can sue you for anything"........

Its not about lawsuits or insurance. It is about what not to do so my employee or customers don't get hurt.

What not to do?? The list could be a mile long in that case. Even with the best trained, hired, qualified people "things happen".

You route driver backs over a kid in a parking lot.

Your route driver, tried fixing a machine with water on the floor he didnt see and gets zapped.

Your route driver misses an out of date item and the person gets sick.

You route driver forgets about the "no peanut" rule in an account bcause of someone with an allergy. That person has a reaction and dies.

Your route driver gets robbed and he decides to chase the person and gets hurt.

Your route driver flirts with a lady at an account and you get slapped with a lawsuit from some fruit cake trying to make a quick buck.

Your route driver runs a stop sign and kills someone.

Your route driver falls a sleep while driving and runs into the back of a dump truck and he dies. The family sues you for his death.

Some guy tips a machine over onto himself while trying to shake his Snickers loose.

These are only a few examples of what can happen. Some of these examples are actually events I know that did happen.

The only "magic pill" is to hire people and train them properly. Get insurance and hope for the best.

This is why I answered the question the way I did in the first place.........

Rich I know you worry about this stuff.  If you are concerned about electricity, take the time to put surge protectors on each machine.  It will help you sleep at night and if there is a problem it will protect the machine or person getting the jolt.

Poplady

Instead of just surge protection you should get GFI protection. This will protect not just the machine, but people using it. You can get GFI protection in power strip form, or built into the cord. Remember most local building and fire codes won't allow a vending machine to be plugged into a extension cord or power strip so you would need the ones built into the cord. You can find the GFI cords from part suppliers for $20-30. Here is a good read from an electrician forum:

http://www.electricalknowledge.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=737

JD

Instead of just surge protection you should get GFI protection. This will protect not just the machine, but people using it. You can get GFI protection in power strip form, or built into the cord. Remember most local building and fire codes won't allow a vending machine to be plugged into a extension cord or power strip so you would need the ones built into the cord. You can find the GFI cords from part suppliers for $20-30. Here is a good read from an electrician forum:

http://www.electricalknowledge.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=737

JD

Good info their, thanks.....

I saw your comment about not buying Antares machines.  We bought 2 machines this year and are VERY unahppy with them!!  I don't know what kind of machine to buy.  What machines have you found to be quality machines?  Any way you can help would be appreciated!!

venderone,

Antares machines (as you have probably figured out) are not very operator-friendly. Changing prices is time-consuming and if you have a finicky client that likes to change products, it can become a nightmare of inefficiency.

I have looked at other electronic combos (Seaga, etc.) that would probably be much better, but then the realizition hit me ...

The problem with a combo machine is not what kind it is, but the fact that IT IS A COMBO MACHINE!

As I grow in this business, I realize that efficiency is the name of the game. For me, most locations that only warrant a combo machine are not worth servicing. The exception to this are locations that have big machines in one part of the business, but may need a combo to cover a "back room" or small separate building.

I have yet to find a real need to replace my Antares in such locations (no hassles yet), so I have not invested in other brands.

Maybe someone else can chime in with some experience regarding other brands of combos.

Thanks for your response!  We have changed prices and products in an effort to find ones that don't expire before they are consumed!!  Our complaint with Antares is the condensation and machine failures with the machines being on location only a few months!!  i'm still looking for a different type of machine to install into locations if anyone has any suggestions! :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

The most dangerous things to avoid as a vendor:

Carrying 4 cases of 20 oz. bottles because your dolly has a flat tire and you want to save an extra trip.

I must be a weakling, wuss, pansy, etc.  I lifted 2 cases and thought I was going to bust a gut.

Archived