Someone is stealing from me!

gogo

I have a location on the fourth floor of a bank building. 1 drink, 1 snack.

It is back in a corner by the stairwell ... kinda hidden. No security cameras.

Last week the $ from the snack machine seemed a little light ... after checking it with stocking numbers, it appeared to be about $20 short. I made a mental note to check out the machine next time and make sure it wasn't giving out free vends or making incorrect change, etc.

I arrived yesterday for my weekly stop, and the snack machine was short about $30.

AND ...

The drink machine had absolutely no $ in it! The coin mech was completely empty, and there was nothing in the dbv. Half of the product was gone (about right for this location.)

So then I knew something was up.

I can find no mechanical issues with either machine (Rowe 7900, Vendo).

I guess somebody is picking the lock or has a key of some sort. I use LAI locks on all of my machines. I immediately ordered some high-security locks for this location and notified every tennant on the third and fourth floors to keep an eye out for suspicious activity.

Any advice on how to handle this situation? I have been blessed with no thefts from my machines up to this point.

-Gogo

With both machines getting hit it seems pretty certain that the machines are actually being opened. Do you make a habit of double checking that your locks are latched properly after servicing the machine? If so, that would mean someone has a key or came up with a pick. I am not familiar with that brand of lock. I have always used Medeco and never had any problems like this.

I would recommed high security registered locks. The registered part means that the internal tumblers are set in a unique pattern that is registered to you. That would eliminate someone finding a key and getting lucky.

You might want to also consider a simple padlock and hasp addition. In this type of building installing it on the side of the machine would probably not be appreciated, so I would put it on the top side where it is less likely to be noticed. It does not need to real heavy duty it just prevents the door being opened if someone gets lucky with the lock.

Mention the problem to the location, and maybe they will keep an eye out.  These companies would like to know if there is somebody they can't trust working for them.  They might also keep an eye on your machines, at least temporarily. 

Here's a quick update ...

I posted a sign on both machines that reads like this:

"To the thief who is stealing money and product from these machines:

Building management and local police have been notified of your activites.

This area will be under increased surveillance, including weekends."

I know I took a risk here by letting everybody know that criminal activity was taking place in the building, but management neglects this building and basically told me that its not their problem, figure out my own solution.

I have been checking the location every couple of days, at odd hours. So far there have been no more problems, and when the tenants hear me open the machine doors, a few of them come out to make sure everything is okay.

Last time I went, the cleaning crew was there, and I looked everyone of them in the eye as I walked over to the machines.

High security locks arrived Friday, so I'll put those in and hopefully that will be it.

Thieves really p**s me off ... all this trouble because someone can't live honestly.

Archived