Post That I Have Already Read Suddenly Reappear...

will.vend

I'd love to help you but I can't replicate the problem on my end so I have no idea what could be causing this. If it starts happening to me, I'll be able to diagnose the problem.

I will however submit a support request using your original post and see what happens. I'll let you know.

EDIT: I've submitted a support ticket. While we are waiting, here is a suggestion.

In your "Settings" under "General Settings" there is a section called "Search Settings". This is where you choose your "view new content method" There are 2 options and here is an explanation...

Show me all content that I have not read - This option will only show you posts/threads that you have not read.

Show me all content since my last visit - This will show you everything that was posted since the last time you logged on, regardless of if you've read it or not.

Make sure your not set to Show me all content that was posted since my last visit and let me know if that works.

Ok, it's been happening to me too. I just clicked on a topic, the one in the polling place about what was the first machines that you ran. I was the last poster on that thread on 1/18, and it decided that it was a new topic for me.

I have not changed my settings in several days, so I don't know why it's starting to do that all of a sudden.

One thing that I do is I check the new content from the View New Content option. Most often there are posts on the full line boards that I don't care about so I don't read them. But when I am done reading all the new posts from the View New Content list page, I will click on the "mark board as read" option on the bottom of the page. I don't know if by "board" it means the entire site, or if it only means the one forum. However, since this new content list shows messages from multiple forums, and the "mark board as read" option marks all those other forums as read, I have to think it marks all the posts on all the forums as read.

I'd love to help you but I can't replicate the problem on my end so I have no idea what could be causing this. If it starts happening to me, I'll be able to diagnose the problem.

I will however submit a support request using your original post and see what happens. I'll let you know.

EDIT: I've submitted a support ticket. While we are waiting, here is a suggestion.

In your "Settings" under "General Settings" there is a section called "Search Settings". This is where you choose your "view new content method" There are 2 options and here is an explanation...

Show me all content that I have not read - This option will only show you posts/threads that you have not read.

Show me all content since my last visit - This will show you everything that was posted since the last time you logged on, regardless of if you've read it or not.

Make sure your not set to Show me all content that was posted since my last visit and let me know if that works.

I had the show me all content that I have not read checked, I also check the view new content tab near the rss feed tab.

I use the view new content button. I notice that it will show me new posts as well as some older ones that I read already. The only difference is the star that indicates unread. I think unless I log off it times this since I have been on the board and not when I click the button. If I click mark all threads as read I am good to go.

Here is the response I received from support. I'm not sure how much help this is but at least it looks like they are working on a fix for the next version.

I just don't understand why I'm not having this issue? :unsure:

Hello,

We've noticed an uptick in this problem since the start of the new year. Seems like something, when the date rolled over, has caused it.

I've heard others say that changing cookies can help. Completely blowing up the item markers, and having the users then mark the entire forum as read has had some success. But, there's not one thing that flat out fixes it.

The status on it now is that they're rewriting the system for version 3.2 to eliminate the problems there.

Here is the response I received from support. I'm not sure how much help this is but at least it looks like they are working on a fix for the next version.

I just don't understand why I'm not having this issue? :unsure:

thanks for your help steve! be glad you are not experiencing this problem, it is very annoying! but I understand there is nothing you can do to fix this, cmon 3.2...

Now Im curious why some of us have this problem and others dont...I wonder what the ratio is? I hafta go eat my cookies now!

I have a thought...

Which threads is this happening with. I just had this happen to me too, but I noticed that the thread was a poll. Maybe somebody is making their vote, but not posting a message. Would that update the stats on the thread and make it think I hadn't read the thread yet?

I have a thought...

Which threads is this happening with. I just had this happen to me too, but I noticed that the thread was a poll. Maybe somebody is making their vote, but not posting a message. Would that update the stats on the thread and make it think I hadn't read the thread yet?

Yes. It is currently set to mark a poll as unread if a vote was cast, even if no post was made. I can change this setting if it is bothersome.

Archived