When Locations Start Making Non Vending Requests

what do you do? I have a locaation that sends me an email this morning requesting a new refigerator for their breakroom and a flat screen tv. How do you guys deal with these requests? Should I just get the stuff and send them a bill or tell them I do not provide these services. The thing is I do not think they would expect a bill since the snack/soda machine were provided free so whats the best way to go about this?

what do you do? I have a locaation that sends me an email this morning requesting a new refigerator for their breakroom and a flat screen tv. How do you guys deal with these requests? Should I just get the stuff and send them a bill or tell them I do not provide these services. The thing is I do not think they would expect a bill since the snack/soda machine were provided free so whats the best way to go about this?

Providing a microwave or two is fairly common, pretty much standard in large accounts. I have on a few occassions provided a fridge or was required under the terms of the agreement going in. A flat screen TV is a new one for me.

Chances are noone else will either unless it a very lucrative account. If you say no (which is my recommendation) you have to do it politely and firmly.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

you might want to find out why they are asking for this..is another vending company offering them this equipment as an incentive? i would suspect so, if they are just asking out of the blue.

if so you might want to weigh what the account is worth vs the cost of getting the equipment

how long have you had this location? how did they ask you??oh by the way we need a new fridge and tv the next time you come around.who the heck asks for a tv?this is the cheap biz owner trying to get something out of you or possibly as was said is being offered to them by another vendor.I wonder why they didnt tell you if that was the case.

Mission is right it what is "normal". Dogcow is also right to figure out why they are asking.

Their is no yes and no answer to your question unless some questions are answered.

Here is the BIG thing you have to consider. Is it a good account? Do you pay them a commission? Is your vend prices right? Do they produce enough revenue? Do you have a current contract? Are you currently giving them any other perks like cookouts, Thanksgiving lunch, other freebies?

If you don’t have a contract I would use this time to try and get one. If you do have one then use this time to renew it because of the items they are asking for.

If I had a good account, vend prices right, no commission, etc then a fridge and flat screen may be a bargain compared to what some accounts ask for and get.. However if they were getting commission, low prices, and a company picnic then those things may be a stretch to give them.

In the end does it make business sense to give them what they are asking for? If it does then give it to them. If not then don’t.

I have a friend of mine right now upgrading equipment and painting a customers break room. While the equipment upgrade can be considered “normal” painting is not. I have seen companies give break room tables , chairs and even a outside gazebo for people to have a place to smoke. Again, in the end does it make business sense to give them what they are asking for?

HI,

Interesting situation and great answers from all.

My personal take on it may be a little different than some because of my situation (I'll get to that later)..

I believe I would be inclined to email them back and tell them that we could get the items they want for $_________ delivered and set up (of course be specific as to make and model provided) . How much the mark up would be is up to you but at least you could make some $$ potentially and possibly become more valuable to them as their "go to guy" whenever they need something....could possibly make for a more "cemented" relationship with the business you are already serving...

Before I got into vending, we did lawn care (actually we still do that too....helper run and managed)....This year I was planning on soliciting some of the sites we service vending wise to see if we can get the lawn account too...They know we do well with the vending so I am hoping to get to do more for the businesses we already service anyways.

It was that "tie in" aspect that would prompt me to try to do the buying thing for the site you mentioned.

Just my 2 cents....Hope this helps.

Andrew

If I had a good account, vend prices right, no commission, etc then a fridge and flat screen may be a bargain compared to what some accounts ask for and get.. However if they were getting commission, low prices, and a company picnic then those things may be a stretch to give them.

also the stuff is your property , for a good account it actually may not be a bad sales idea because it doesn't require a lot of your time invested you can write off the cost as a equipment expense and, a the location would ahve lot of mad employees if the tv disappears from the break room

Archived