Eddie B Vs Kickstart

mainor5251

I just recently committing myself to expanding my bulk route and the first steps was ordering mech upgrades, toys, and also some more locations from Eddie and 1 from Rob. Well I ordered the one from Kickstart on 1/26/11 and haven't heard anything yet, it is a single head, gold location with the restaurant bar upgrade. Ordered 4 from Eddie yesterday and got all 4 today, an indoor flea market, 2 hair salons, and a transmission shop. Haven't had the best of luck with hair salons and auto repair places in the past so we will see. In the past I have got really good locations from Kickstart and fast, looks like they have slowed down, not that it has been that long just going from previous experience. Eddie has always been able to shoot out locations fast and at a very reasonable price but quality has been an issue in the past. As I keep growing I'll keep this thread updated.

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem to me that its best to take the little extra time and money to secure a top end location.

My experience has been that taking "the little extra time and money" NEVER lead to securing "top end" locations through a locator.

If I only compare my locations that I paid EB/KSL for, these are the facts from my experience:

Paying extra for the restaurant "upgrade" is not worth it

- You still don't necessarily get locations that earn good income, yet you had to wait longer for them.

- Just because it is a restaurant - - doesn't mean it's going to be a money maker.

- Usually it's "newer" restaurants you get into with this deal...and we all know most newer restaurants close within a year or so (if they even last that long).

Waiting for locations doesn't always reward you with better locations

- Get your machines out there quicker. That should be your goal. You can always move them later.

- There's no guarantee that the longer you wait for a location the better said location will be...EVEN IF it's a restaurant, it's still a gamble.

- I have tire shops, oil change stations, and auto insurance agencies outperforming (every month) most of the locations we'd pay the restaurant "upgrade" on. And these locations are not as likely to go out of business next month (my locations of this type have been around a while).

All of my best locations were found by Eddie Bauer.

This is a fact proven each and every month.

KSL got me what I paid for(restaurants) so I can not complain.

But, none of those locations earn me close to what my top 10 best Eddie Bauer locations earn me every month.

AND, Eddie was less expensive, I didn't have to wait weeks and weeks for locations (Eddie knocks them out quick), and Eddie ALWAYS did what he said, how he said he would, and when he said was going to (not always the case with any other locator I have dealt with).

Well I have to respectfully say that I had the complete opposite experience that sherlock had! Now I don't want to trash either locator (or vendor) since both seem to be quality people that will try to make things right in the end. However, both have different business models that may or may not work in your area. Just goes to show how "milage will vary" in this business with different products and locators.

I personally like the restaurant option with KS and generally have had good luck in restaurants. But not just for the sake of getting a restaurant. But restaurants and bars usually have a decent "rack flip" potential. Some of my restaurants eventually get flipped into commission racks - where the better money AND long term stability is. You can never really flip those those one man barber shops and Billy-Bob transmission places, nor would you want to. But if those type of places work for you, then by all means, keep getting them.

To each his own! Pretty wierd how the same locators can render completely different results for vendors in different areas. Sort of like those Fast Food Erasers toys. Many vendors rave about them, but they were a big dud for me. It happens! All I can say is test, test, test and then find stuff that fits your business model.

Now I am NOT giving any advice here. Nor is this post meant as an attack. Just sharing my own experience. And we have seen many times that experiences will differ out in the real world. Pretty wierd stuff, huh?

And maybe re-title this thread: "Alien vs. Predator"!

I would like to add that the options that KickStart has for the various type of machines is not really worth it either. It doesn't matter what kind of machine it is, they will try to get in via charity, and not via commission. In my opinion, it is not worth it to try to buy anything other than charity candy locations from KS. Anything else will just cost more, and it will be the same kind of location.

I asked for a toy location, and got an automotive transmission fix-it shop. Sounds perfect for a gum or candy location, but I have no faith it will do well as a toy location. This "toy" location cost me $20 more than a double candy charity location.

On another instance, as part of my 3 location package deal that I purchased, the second location was a pharmacy waiting room. Again, it sounds great for charity candy, but sucky for any sort of toys. Once again, this charity candy quality location cost me an extra $20 since I opted for the "toy" package.

I'm still waiting for the 3rd location.

I would like to add that the options that KickStart has for the various type of machines is not really worth it either. It doesn't matter what kind of machine it is, they will try to get in via charity, and not via commission. In my opinion, it is not worth it to try to buy anything other than charity candy locations from KS. Anything else will just cost more, and it will be the same kind of location.

I asked for a toy location, and got an automotive transmission fix-it shop. Sounds perfect for a gum or candy location, but I have no faith it will do well as a toy location. This "toy" location cost me $20 more than a double candy charity location.

On another instance, as part of my 3 location package deal that I purchased, the second location was a pharmacy waiting room. Again, it sounds great for charity candy, but sucky for any sort of toys. Once again, this charity candy quality location cost me an extra $20 since I opted for the "toy" package.

I'm still waiting for the 3rd location.

That's a problem I had with KSL too.

Locations that were supposed to be flat and/or toy locations were not appropriate for that kind of product at all.

As Jax has described, maybe geographic location and expecations have a lot to do with which locator is best for you.

But, regardless of where in America you may be, a lot of the places I got from KSL for toys/flat vends were obviously NOT kid friendly.

Nice thing about Eddie's service is (hope I don't get in trouble for saying this) he doesn't care what you put in the location he finds you.

Any bulk machine is fine with him -- single, double, triple, u-turn, toys, or flat.

He doesn't charge you any different regardless of what you put in there.

I've got VERY profitable u-turns, and VERY profitable flat vend locations from Eddie that I paid the same amount for as I paid him for good single machine locations.

But, overall, Jax isn't the only one happy with KSL so they have to be doing something right, too.

Right.

So the moral of the story with KickStart is to not buy any location other than a single gumball charity spot. If the location is only good for charity candy or gum, then go with it. If its good enough for toys or flats, then upgrade it to toys and flats.

So heres a little update to Predator vs Alien, out of the 4 locations that Eddie B secured only 2 worked out, I emailed Eddie B with the specifics tonight to see how he wanted to handle it and as far as the location I ordered from Kickstart nothing has been sent yet.

Heres a little update to the 2 replacements Eddie quickly sent. One is a very popular oyster bar, like there is a line outside the door everyday and they accepted a triple no problem the other replacement was a Chinese buffet that i had already pithched a year ago with a 33% commission and had no luck, they said they only wanted some info so they could consider so I don't expect to every hear from them again. Eddie said he would just replace. Eddie is the man! Still nothing from Kickstand :rolleyes:

Got a chance to chat with Rob from Kickstart briefly today and he said they would see about taking care of my location today and he came through. He got me in a little asian bistro that looks like it will work out, we'll see once delivery is complete. Got to order a couple $20 replacement from Kickstart to replace some locations that have shut down. Also Eddie sent me a replacement today for the chinese buffet that did not accept a machine, its the largest reseller of commercial printers and copiers in north Florida, should have at least a dozen employees maybe more so it should work out also. The busy Oyster bar called me today and said that the machine was in the way and they would need it removed, that sucks. Not gonna give up yet though, theres a small slot it would fit and be out of the way if I use a single so the plan is to take a single with me when I go to pick up the 1-800 triple, I'm gonna paint one yellow to match their location and also paint their slogan on the lid to give me a better chance at saving the location. This has been a roll a coaster week for sure.

I have noticed that Rob can actually secure locations in one day because when he contacts you and says he will get on it right away, that same day he secures a location.

Rob

I will be sending you some money next week to locate a new Red, Single Northwestern Super 60 gumball machine.

Make it a restuarant/bar please :D

I have noticed that Rob can actually secure locations in one day because when he contacts you and says he will get on it right away, that same day he secures a location.

Rob

I will be sending you some money next week to locate a new Red, Single Northwestern Super 60 gumball machine.

Make it a restuarant/bar please :D

Just out of curiosity -- did he just contact you out of the blue and promise to get you your location right away or did you initiate the contact that lead to his securing the location for you?

After expressing some concern Rob got a location secured that day. Went to deliver machine and they didnt not accept one but instead wanted more info then speak with thier partners. I'll give it a couple of days to see if they call back (highly unlikely my experience tells me).

I appreciate all the praise and I think we all try to find 100 dollar a month loc's and sometimes we get lucky and they go fast and they are all good and sometimes it's like pulling teesth and they all S...Well ar not as good LOL

everyone just doing the best they can...atleast that's what I beleive

Just out of curiosity -- did he just contact you out of the blue and promise to get you your location right away or did you initiate the contact that lead to his securing the location for you?

I called him. :D

Serviced an Oyster Bar that Eddie B got me today, it did over $40 in 3 weeks in a triple candy, (mike & ikes, skittles, reese pieces). I should be able to get this location up to $75-80 a month with some fine tuning. Will spring a rack on them in a couple of months (not sure if theres room). Eddie, you da man!

Got a Japanese Fusion Restaurant from Kickstart as a replacement for another restaurant loc that did not accept a machine, unfortunately they did not accept one either. Normally if a location is interested enough to see a machine I can usually seal the deal but as of lately I'm 0-2. Kickstart has been real good about timely replacements though. On the bright side I did manage to locate two more machines today, a donut shop and a barber shop.

Archived