Vendo condesating a lot!

I have a Vendo 8 select in an air conditioned facility that is filling the condensation pan every week with at least 1.5 to 2 quarts of water. I don't think this is normal. It is a recent phenomenon that began occuring a month ago. Any ideas?

I have a Vendo 8 select in an air conditioned facility that is filling the condensation pan every week with at least 1.5 to 2 quarts of water. I don't think this is normal. It is a recent phenomenon that began occuring a month ago. Any ideas?

First thing I would check is the door gasket and dispensing door for air leaks

First thing I would check is the door gasket and dispensing door for air leaks

You got outside air getting in somehow. You could also check the dispensing door to make sure it doesn't bind in the open postion after a drink comes through.

JD

Can I just lube the door gasket with a Teflon based lubricant to help the seal? We use this in the swimming pool industry on almost all gaskets, it's non agressive to the rubber, and works very well. Or should I expect to replace the gasket? This week, I saw about the same amount of condensation in the pan, but I didn't see any obvious issues with the gasket or the dispensing door. I closed the door at tight as possible before leaving, and I will be going back out Saturday. Any further advice to this noob would be appreciated.

Can I just lube the door gasket with a Teflon based lubricant to help the seal? We use this in the swimming pool industry on almost all gaskets, it's non agressive to the rubber, and works very well. Or should I expect to replace the gasket? This week, I saw about the same amount of condensation in the pan, but I didn't see any obvious issues with the gasket or the dispensing door. I closed the door at tight as possible before leaving, and I will be going back out Saturday. Any further advice to this noob would be appreciated.

If it is a new issue it has to be air getting in somehow. Gasket, door, something, did you change anything at all prior to this happening?

If it is a new issue it has to be air getting in somehow. Gasket, door, something, did you change anything at all prior to this happening?

I changed nothing, but it was cold down here and they were running heat when I installed the machine, and now they are running A/C. Am I supposed to see a tear in the gasket? Everything is the same. The door has no issues closing, it swings straight and true.

After rereading this I am curious as to what you have for a drain pan. It should be about 12 inches long, 6 inches wide and about 2 inches deep. I can't remember if the Vendo has sponges in the drain pan but I would think it would. This mounts to the side of the refer system and uses the hot air blowing across it to help evaporate the water. 2 oz is not a lot of water and it should evaporate without over filling the pan.

A/C (ac? we had snow again today!!!) should help dry the air out so you won't have as much moisture in the air. But I am assuming that since the a/c is on it is hot and humid already down there. Do they shut the air off at night and/or weekends?

A couple of things to check are:

-Let us know what you have for a pan and if it ever actually overflows.

-Make sure the machine is level. If the water doesn't drain properly it can wick up the evaporator, freeze and then dump a bunch of water to quickly when it defrosts.

-Make sure the thermostat isn't set too high. This can cause freeze ups and then quick defrosts too.

-Look at the drain hose in the bottom that is going into the pan. Make sure there is a loop in the hose. This will hold a bit of water in the hose causing a water seal to keep the warm, moist air from getting in.

-Check the gasket on the hinge side to see if it is folding over when closing. You could use the grease, it won;t hurt and will probably help you see how the gasket actually is sealing.

The key to this is the refer system cannot and does not make water. It will pull moisture out of the air just like a dehumidifier does (a dehumidifier is just a refer system that isn't sealed). So if it is causing water issues it is caused by moisture getting in. Some how some where but it is. There have been occasionally time where no matter what you do the cause will evade you. That's when the heated drain pans come into play as a last resort. Only when the pan is overflowing and all other resources have been exhausted.

I closed the door at tight as possible before leaving, and I will be going back out Saturday.

I wanted to address this specifically. You do not want to tighten the door down as tight as possible. Over time the door gasket will crush down and cause air leaks all around the opening. When closing the door and turning the T-handle you want to get it "snug" then back off a half turn before locking.

Bill's comments and suggestions are all sound. If you don't find anything from Bill's suggestions then I would seriously consider just replacing the door gasket.

I wanted to address this specifically. You do not want to tighten the door down as tight as possible. Over time the door gasket will crush down and cause air leaks all around the opening. When closing the door and turning the T-handle you want to get it "snug" then back off a half turn before locking.

wow that is good to know!!!

After rereading this I am curious as to what you have for a drain pan. It should be about 12 inches long, 6 inches wide and about 2 inches deep. I can't remember if the Vendo has sponges in the drain pan but I would think it would. This mounts to the side of the refer system and uses the hot air blowing across it to help evaporate the water. 2 oz is not a lot of water and it should evaporate without over filling the pan.

A/C (ac? we had snow again today!!!) should help dry the air out so you won't have as much moisture in the air. But I am assuming that since the a/c is on it is hot and humid already down there. Do they shut the air off at night and/or weekends?

-Make sure the machine is level. If the water doesn't drain properly it can wick up the evaporator, freeze and then dump a bunch of water to quickly when it defrosts.

-Make sure the thermostat isn't set too high. This can cause freeze ups and then quick defrosts too.

-Look at the drain hose in the bottom that is going into the pan. Make sure there is a loop in the hose. This will hold a bit of water in the hose causing a water seal to keep the warm, moist air from getting in.

-Check the gasket on the hinge side to see if it is folding over when closing. You could use the grease, it won;t hurt and will probably help you see how the gasket actually is sealing.

The key to this is the refer system cannot and does not make water. It will pull moisture out of the air just like a dehumidifier does (a dehumidifier is just a refer system that isn't sealed). So if it is causing water issues it is caused by moisture getting in. Some how some where but it is. There have been occasionally time where no matter what you do the cause will evade you. That's when the heated drain pans come into play as a last resort. Only when the pan is overflowing and all other resources have been exhausted.

i am having the same problem, so the tips are highly appreciated. on the machine having the problem theres something wrong with the t-handle, it doesnt screw down it just pushes straight in, could this be causing an issue with a bad seal?

wow that is good to know!!!

i am having the same problem, so the tips are highly appreciated. on the machine having the problem theres something wrong with the t-handle, it doesnt screw down it just pushes straight in, could this be causing an issue with a bad seal?

Assuming you mean the thandle isn't pulling in the dorr when you screw it down yet the thandle is pulled into the door? If this is the case a c-clip on the inside of the thandle has popped loose.

Actually, it's a paint tray

It's 85 here with 90% humidity. Central A/C on all the time in a Nursing home.

I have never allowed it to overflow, but it's come close

It's level

I am not familiar with this machine. There is no marking on the thermostat knob. The soda in the machine is sitting at 34 degrees (exterior can temp)

There is a loop in the hose

Will check this weekend

The drain pan that dogcow linked to is what should be in there. The 34 degree can temp is mighty cold. If you can, I would raise the temp to around 38-40 and see if that helps some. These 2 little things may be enough.

The drain pan that dogcow linked to is what should be in there. The 34 degree can temp is mighty cold. If you can, I would raise the temp to around 38-40 and see if that helps some. These 2 little things may be enough.

The knob is unmarked...Do I turn left to raise the temp?

With the compressor running turn it all the way counter clockwise, this will turn the compressor off. Let it sit for a few minutes and turn it clockwise about 1/4 turn max. The compressor should turn on and this is the generic setting for all thermostats. Just for the record, the average adjustment on a thermostat from low to high is only about 4 degrees.

Archived