National 431 Issues

Need help in fixing a problem on a National 431.

Giving a Solenoid Error. From Tech Manual, it indicates that lock solenoid switch is not detected. Looking at the locking pin, it's retracted and when I try to rotate the drum, I can hear the solenoid clicking.....

Is this just an adjustment? Or is the solenoid switch faulty? What's the best way to troubleshoot and repair?

Thanks for any assistance.

Travis

It sounds, by your description, as if you are looking at the turret solenoid switch. The errors caused by the solenoid are usually motor err or cant home err. The lock solenoid should be the solenoid on the door about half way down. There are solenoids on each delivery door, and on on the lock bar that locks the doors closed prior to rotating the machine. If this is giving a bad signal it will not allow the machine to rotate as it thinks the door is open and someone can get hurt.

If you have a muanual look for the lock bar. If you don't it is figure 10 in this http://cranems.com/Manuals/NV/4310110.pdf

Is the drum spinning when you hit the switch. Is the price showing on all the doors if its the door it will flash open on one of them. If its the lock pin solenoid it could be the reading lens is dirty there is a pin broke on the motor or the part that goes from the motor to the drum are just the lock pin is out of adjustment

Thanks for all of your help, got it figured out. The turret switch near the bottom was retracted and stuck. Removed the cover from the solenoid, moved a plastic piece that was hanging the pin up, and it clicked back into the correct place. Cycled power and it was good to go.

Travis

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am having this same problem with my 431. When I do what Sparta just described above it helps for a little while but then it happens again and again .

I understand that there is an adjustment that needs to be made but what exactly is the adjustment?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

You may be haveing problems with your micro switch on your solenoid being out of adjustment. This is how I adjust them. Turn off power to begin with. Loosen the 2 adjustment screws located on the lower half of the soleniod that allows you to adjust the stop pin assembly up and down. Make sure the stop pin is in a position that it is riding on the bottom of the turret and not in one of the " holes" in the bottom of the turret. Then move the stop pin assembly up until the micro switch on the right side of assembly engages.You will hear a click coming from the micro swith when it is engaged. At that poin lock down the assembly by tightening the 2 screws. turn the machine back on and see if works. can be tricky. I have spent an hour or more on some 431 machines to get them right.

One of my signature moves is takeing the stop pin assembly apart and grinding tha little tip off of the plastic arm so the roller on the micro switch does not get hung under it. You have to be careful and not take to much off. Keep it round in shape.

Archived