stripped screws

dperry

I have a NW Super 60 that has a candy wheel in it. I wanted to change it out for a capsule wheel, but had some problem. Two of the four screws that hold the globe to the hopper have become fused with the assembly. I tried to unscrew them, but only succeeded in stripping the heads. As you know, these are placed in awkward locations inside the globe. I tried to get an unscrew tool in there to get it to go, but I couldn't get any leverage from the tight fit. I'm thinking I need a really long shaft to attach the tool. Long shafted screwdrivers don't seem to work tho, because of the stripped heads.

Any ideas?

I have a NW Super 60 that has a candy wheel in it. I wanted to change it out for a capsule wheel, but had some problem. Two of the four screws that hold the globe to the hopper have become fused with the assembly. I tried to unscrew them, but only succeeded in stripping the heads. As you know, these are placed in awkward locations inside the globe. I tried to get an unscrew tool in there to get it to go, but I couldn't get any leverage from the tight fit. I'm thinking I need a really long shaft to attach the tool. Long shafted screwdrivers don't seem to work tho, because of the stripped heads.

Any ideas?

Darryl, I've had this problem with several machines that had peanuts in them. What I did was use my Dremel tool to grind the head of the screws off. When the globe comes off take a pair of Vise Grips and try to get the rest of the screw out. They are #8 screws. If they still won't come out then drill them out and just use a longer screw with a nut on the backside of the hopper.

Depending on how stripped it is (and if you have a dremel), you can try the rubberband trick listed here (it doesn't work if the screw is done for, but it does come in handy) http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/how-to/how-to-remove-a-stripped-screw-without-an-extractor-home-hacks-107582 or consider getting a screw extractor like Grabit.

Any ideas?

[/quote

I have an extender that goes in the end of my drill and you can use it with bits or nut drivers or any thing that will go in a drill. Got it at Sears

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I have an extender that goes in the end of my drill and you can use it with bits or nut drivers or any thing that will go in a drill. Got it at Sears

I was looking for such and animal at lowes, but couldn't find it. I'll try sears.

Darryl, I've had this problem with several machines that had peanuts in them. What I did was use my Dremel tool to grind the head of the screws off. When the globe comes off take a pair of Vise Grips and try to get the rest of the screw out. They are #8 screws. If they still won't come out then drill them out and just use a longer screw with a nut on the backside of the hopper.

Good Idea. Hadn't thought about taking the head of the screw. Unfortunately, this means buying more tools that seem to be good for only one job.

It might just be easier to trade: Anybody want a Super60 globe/hopper/candy wheel/housing and trade for a globe/hopper/capsule wheel/housing?

• 8 months later...

Archived