Where to go when Locating and Questions

Take a break vending

Im just got started in vending last month and just started totry to self locate some of my NW double machines. It has been challenging. I have only got 1 spot which is my friends local bar and I have asked more than 20 businesses. When you make strategic plans for locating, do you just drive around randomly or do you have a list per se of preferred addresses that you go in a certain order? I need to find 15 spots, how long approx do you think that would take me if I spent full days? My main barrier is worrying about being humiliated after getting rejected in public. I tend to be shy with sales, but wont give up. It has been slightly discouraging, sometimes when i start pitching, people tend to hover around you to hear your conversation with the manager/owner. Their main objection was that they didn't have floor space or that they have policies.

IMHO it sounds like you are not ready to locate yourself. You need some confidence and some YES's. I would honestly hire a locator for your first 5 machines or so. This will give you an immediate boost in your belief level and your confidence. This is what i did. I used a locator for my first 20 spots then after, i did a combination of self locating and working with locators. Using the locator actually increased my ego and confidence because i started to realize how easy it is. I still use locators in conjunction with my own locating, it just speeds things up for me. If you use a legitimate one, you will get an idea of the type of businesses to target. If you have NW double head candy machines, the first spots I would target would be the blue collar businesses and break rooms.

First off: Are you locating for charity or commission spots?

If you are looking for charity locations -- locate by phone.

You can knock out dozens of locations (both yes's and no's) in less than an hour without wasting a drop of gas.

And you never have to leave your home nor face anyone face-to-face....which should help you with some of your shyness.

You can use a locator, too...but I would discourage you from relying solely on a locator.

At some point you are going to have to fight through the shyness and locate for yourself, even while using a locator....may as well be now.

If you are looking for commission locations -- locate in person.

No other way to do it well.

Even professional telemarketers have a hard time locating commission spots by phone.

Don't put yourself in such a bad position so early on in your vending career.

You can still use a locator, but use an in-person locator.

Problem with them: they are expensive compared to those who locate by phone for charity spots.

Regardless, keep this in mind: Locating, whether by phone or in-person, gets easier the more you do it.

Don't stop trying.

Best of luck to you.

First off: Are you locating for charity or commission spots?

If you are looking for charity locations -- locate by phone.

You can knock out dozens of locations (both yes's and no's) in less than an hour without wasting a drop of gas.

And you never have to leave your home nor face anyone face-to-face....which should help you with some of your shyness.

You can use a locator, too...but I would discourage you from relying solely on a locator.

At some point you are going to have to fight through the shyness and locate for yourself, even while using a locator....may as well be now.

If you are looking for commission locations -- locate in person.

No other way to do it well.

Even professional telemarketers have a hard time locating commission spots by phone.

Don't put yourself in such a bad position so early on in your vending career.

You can still use a locator, but use an in-person locator.

Problem with them: they are expensive compared to those who locate by phone for charity spots.

Regardless, keep this in mind: Locating, whether by phone or in-person, gets easier the more you do it.

Don't stop trying.

Best of luck to you.

So are you suggesting that it's easier to convince them to do charity on the phone as opposed to in person? and commission works better the opposite? Can you explain why it makes a difference? Is there any kind of leads list that i can get for calling? What i have been doing is saying that im with a charity but then offering them commission at the same time. They have so many questions, some were asking about percentages and told me that getting 10 bucks or so out of a 30 dollar profit, doesn't seem much for them. I like your idea of doing it over the phone. That way i dont have to constantly search around and fight the traffic just to go from one spot to the next.

So are you suggesting that it's easier to convince them to do charity on the phone as opposed to in person? and commission works better the opposite? Can you explain why it makes a difference? Is there any kind of leads list that i can get for calling? What i have been doing is saying that im with a charity but then offering them commission at the same time. They have so many questions, some were asking about percentages and told me that getting 10 bucks or so out of a 30 dollar profit, doesn't seem much for them. I like your idea of doing it over the phone. That way i dont have to constantly search around and fight the traffic just to go from one spot to the next.

That does seem to be the case for me at least. I have gotten lots of charity spots over the phone, but then when i offer them a commission it is much easier to do in person, and seems hard to do on the phone. But I guess it's because offering percentages and things of that nature is a weird thing to do on the phone. When they see you in person, it's more comfortable for them to have an interchange of communication regarding the details. Yet when you call them representing a charity, that seems to be more professional because you're coming across as slightly less intrusive.

So are you suggesting that it's easier to convince them to do charity on the phone as opposed to in person? and commission works better the opposite? Can you explain why it makes a difference?

Charity does not necessarily work better by phone than in person.

I'm only suggesting phone locating FOR YOU because your a bit shy.

AND there is no drawback to locating by phone for charity....most professional locators locate by phone for charity vending.

Yet, there IS a drawback to locating commission spots by phone.

Commission locations (for several reasons) are much better located in person.

Thus, you are probably wasting your time trying to locate commission spots by phone.

Is there any kind of leads list that i can get for calling?

If you are a member of your public library (and shame on you if your aren't ;)) you can access different business databases through the library's website.

Best one (IMO) is Reference USA.

Look at your library's site and/or speak to someone at your closest branch for assistance on how to get logged on.

IT'S FREE!

What i have been doing is saying that im with a charity but then offering them commission at the same time. They have so many questions, some were asking about percentages and told me that getting 10 bucks or so out of a 30 dollar profit, doesn't seem much for them.

You are a bit shy, so this may be hard for you right now.

But, if someone turned me down and their sole reason was that $10 per month wasn't much for them, I'd reply with something like,

"How much does that unused floor space earn you now per month?"

Any decent business person should know if $1 is better than $0...$10 is great.

However, to be totally honest, if I thought a location was about a $30 a month spot, I'd be approaching it as a charity spot and not a commission spot.

Ive.been doing this for a week already got like 12 spots in one week...maybe an hour a day. Id say I went to 40 places or more. B very friendly its all in the wording.u only have a couple.seconda of their attention. Say places around them have said yes and they love em for the customers. That they have notjinh.to lose and to atleast let u have it a week if they dont lije them for any reason ull take it off

That's awesome. Enthusiasm and confidence is key. Locating is not really rocket science. It's not as difficult as doing a 2 hour MLM presentation and trying to get your friends to join ( I haven't tried that for a long time). In my free time, Im gonna try to target some businesses by some of my friends houses. They like my machines and want to use it for some candy and to help me. So locating in their areas shall be fun, like a little kid going on an Easter Egg hunt trying to find as many eggs as he can. I do like my locator though, he gets me in spots with 50-100 employees almost every time. I like the idea above, calling businesses for charity instead of knocking on doors. The reason is because I can go through the lists a bit more efficiently on the phone and target good spots. But getting some machines in my friends areas is going to be fun. I have friends that have gotten spots for me. The funny thing about vending is that when you first start you and your peers don't think it's possible to get any spots. You get the notion that vending is saturated and that there are no more spots left. And then when you do get 2 or 3 spots in less than an hour, you start laughing at all the people who told you that there are no businesses out there. I had a wise uncle who once told me, ''I guarantee you that there is not one business around here that will take in a vending machine because you're with a charity. They are gonna want a lot of money for rent. Im 73 years old and there isn't a single thing I don't know or haven't seen.'' And the ironic thing is that he runs an MLM company and hosts meetings at a hotel and I recently just put a machine in that hotel. IOW, The man didn't know a single thing about vending.

I just bought my route last week from somebody who has a new job and no time anymore for this. One of the first of his locations that I visited is real weak (2 Seaga TV3000 triple vends) which only averages $5/month. I pulled one of the machines and continued the route, thinking about where I could put this one. The first couple places I stopped already had bulk machines which I could visually confirm or the manager said they didn't want more of them. Then near one of the best locations (2 triple vends avg $41/mo) I found a new office/warehouse building with 20 + cars late on Friday afternoon. The office manager not only agreed to take the machine I had in the car but also asked for one for the warehouse. This will reduce the travel on my route and I hope it turns a poor performing machine into a good one. I'm going to keep looking for parking lots full of cars that are on the route that I'm already driving. Nothing like a small success like this to end my first week of vending.

Tom

My main barrier is worrying about being humiliated after getting rejected in public.

It sounds like you have more issues going on than just learning how to locate your machines.

I have to wonder why you feel it is humiliating. What does it matter? If it goes well and they say yes, then all is good. If they say no, then what does it matter? You will never see any of them again.

The service you offer is a benefit to them, not just yourself. As they say, a rising tide floats all boats. Even though it is good for you, it is also good for them, whether it's candy or toys. Either way it allows them to offer goods to their customers and employees that they don't have to spend one dime on. If they don't want to avail themselves of your service, then that's their problem. All you have to do is thank them for their time and move on.

Maybe you should do something to overcome your fears. Joining up with Toast Masters might be a good idea. It allows you to engage in public speaking so that you can overcome your fears.

My main barrier is worrying about being humiliated after getting rejected in public. I tend to be shy with sales, but wont give up.

Maybe you should do something to overcome your fears. Joining up with Toast Masters might be a good idea. It allows you to engage in public speaking so that you can overcome your fears.

I agree with the recommendation on toastmasters its also a good way to meet people in the community. If you are in another job try joining a "meetup" (meetup.com) group for that profession or even a meet up for local small business in your area. This will give you a way to meet people in a less "threatening" manner than a cold pitch. you can speak more casually one-on-one with other business people even if you dont get any leads you can practice the pitch, and gain some confidence. Also a good way to practice is on the phone. Start by calling places you wont want to locate at (like from the next town over) to get comfortable. that way if they say no, who cares!

if all else fails theres no shame in talking to a therapist. about 5% of the population suffers from some forms of 'social anxiety' which is similar to what the original poster describes. A therapist trained in CBT can be very effective in treating phobias in a very short number of sessions without medication.

What kind of speeches would i have to do in Toastmasters?

each speech is going to focus in a set of skills needed to master public speaking (organizing a speech, gestures, etc...) the content doesn't really matter. check out the toastmasters international website for info or drop by your local chapter meeting they are there to help you and will explain everything

I'll check that out. thanks. Also, is there any scripts i can study for locating? Do you know if there is a guide to handling objections?

look at the books in the downloads section also there is a thread on scripts and objections

if you search around for it. Also, well you can pay a locator and they usually will take a

list of prospects if you have them, like businesses you want to call on, just put your ph# biz # on the list with a fake business name and see how they handle you. ask them whatever you think the location might ask. be a tough customer lol obviously dont tell the locator you are doing this.

this is known as seeding the leads or salting the leads. in the old days of telemarketing this was how the boss would do quality control to make sure the salesmen were doing a good job and not lying to or abusing the customers. now i think they just record calls since even smaller places use predictive dialer machines.

Found this on the internets....

http://www.ehow.com/...dy-vending.html

Nice article, but jeez...can't believe they included "Movie and Video Game Rental Stores" on the list of good places for bulk machines.

Do those even still exist?

Hollywood Video and Blockbuster closed most of their stores (if not all) and movie/game rentals are pretty much all done online or at RedBox now...no?

Next thing they'll recommend is book stores. :rolleyes:

First thing I thought after reading the part on Movie Rental Stores was, "Dang, this must be an old article"...but, it was written in MAY 2011!

eHow may be "trusted advice" but it certainly isn't up on things is it?

Archived