Newbie looking for Info

christirose

Hi Everyone,

I am so happy I found this site. I am in the process of researching my options to start a vending business. I have done a lot of research and am bit overwhelmed at this time. Some questions I have are:

1. I noticed a post on here saying to stay away from Biz Ops. Why is this? I can understand why I wouldn't want to be part of a franchise but why wouldn't I want to have the guidance and support that a biz op provides?

2. I have been talking to some biz op folks and have finally found out who manufactures there vending machines and wanted to get feedback on the quality of them. They would be new and not refurbished combo machines.

-Genesis (T- lock, bill validator,credit card reader mfg/installed in the US)

-PCM

3. I am planning on doing healthy/natural food vending (I am located in N. CA and know I'm in a very health conscious community)

4. Looking for professional Locator recommendations

5. If I was to buy just machines from someone (no biz op), do the sellers of new equipment generally provide repair support (via phone/warranties). I think I want to stay away from used equipment. Any recommendations on brands and suppliers of equipment.

I am open to any and all feedback delivered in a kind and respectful manner.

Looking forward to hearing what all of you experienced/veteran vending biz owners have to say.

Chris

Hi Everyone,

I am so happy I found this site. I am in the process of researching my options to start a vending business. I have done a lot of research and am bit overwhelmed at this time. Some questions I have are:

1. I noticed a post on here saying to stay away from Biz Ops. Why is this? I can understand why I wouldn't want to be part of a franchise but why wouldn't I want to have the guidance and support that a biz op provides?

2. I have been talking to some biz op folks and have finally found out who manufactures there vending machines and wanted to get feedback on the quality of them. They would be new and not refurbished combo machines.

-PCM

3. I am planning on doing healthy/natural food vending (I am located in N. CA and know I'm in a very health conscious community)

5. If I was to buy just machines from someone (no biz op), do the sellers of new equipment generally provide repair support (via phone/warranties). I think I want to stay away from used equipment. Any recommendations on brands and suppliers of equipment.

Looking forward to hearing what all of you experienced/veteran vending biz owners have to say.

Chris

Welcome to TVF.

The Biz-ops that are out there for the most part are WAAAAY over priced for the value of the service they perform, if you get any service from them at all after they have your $$.

Genesis equipment is poorly regarded and has practically ZERO resale value. If you are patient and look at CL ads in your area on a regular basis you should be able to find machines for 300-500 for 1-2 year old machines.

Any major manufacturer of equipment will provide a warranty as well as ongoing phone tech support for their equipment. Royal, USI, AP, DN, Crane all have tech depts that you can call during the day and they usually can talk you through any problems you might encounter, even on their models that might be 10-20 years old.

I do have some offerings in healthy vending but I do it in conjunction with regular vending offerings as a value added proposition, It certainly is a growing market segment and well worth being a part of. I bought 5 yonaturals machines from a guy that paid 55K for them for 5K less than a year after he bought into that biz-op. I still have two of them as branded machines, the others I peeled off the graphics off and converted them into regular vending machines. One of our newer members has ordered a couple of the H.U.M.A.N. machines and I am looking forward to hearing how he does with them once he finally gets them on location.

Be happy to help with any more questions.

I am the H.U.M.A.N. guy and I will not be selling my machines to mission for 5k.

I am using the biz op support which (for me) has been really great in starting out, along with mission and rjt to kick you in the right direction. I look forward to placing my first machines (later this month) and getting started just like you.

Ill tell you my next step. When i am ready I am going to buy RJT's book and seek counsel from him one day

I am the H.U.M.A.N. guy and I will not be selling my machines to mission for 5k.

I am using the biz op support which (for me) has been really great in starting out, along with mission and rjt to kick you in the right direction. I look forward to placing my first machines (later this month) and getting started just like you.

Ill tell you my next step. When i am ready I am going to buy RJT's book and seek counsel from him one day

Thanks Daniel, I look forward in working with you. Be sure and keep us informed on the progress with HUMAN.

Thanks again!!

I know that you want new machines, but you should also consider getting refurbished machines. Vending machine distributors/suppliers take used equipment and make them as close to new as you can get without the factory stamp, and they cost about half of new depending on what machines you get. I have one about 30-40 minutes away from me (so I can pick them up and save the shipping costs), and I'm sure you have something out your way as well. Maybe someone from Northern California will chime in with a dealer.

Check the discussions, there are many good discussions in here on locating and evaluating locations.

if you want to know why to stay away from biz ops read this

http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ellicott/wolf.htm

Here is another reason to stay away from the biz-ops:

My link

These guys got me for 20K.

One of a number of boneheaded moves that nearly bankrupted me back in the mid-late 90's. These guys were from the Boston area, might have even been Steve's neighbors :-*

I can save anyone a lot of money. If you are thinking of buying a bizop don't. Send me two payments of $2425.00 and I will send you a thank you note. For most people this can save you over $5000.00.

But wait act now, in the next 24 hrs and I will double your thank you note. That's right!! Two notes for the price of one! only pay a separate shipping and handling fee.

Hi Everyone,

-PCM

Chris

Hi Chris,

You do want to stay away from those Biz Ops. When you say Northern California do you mean San Fran or further North. There are a couple of great contacts in the bay area. At GVR Vending you can talk with Steve, the owner. He sometimes sells off a few spots if they are out of his territory and he is a great mentor. GVR is one of the bigger vendors in that area, he has been in business since 1976. GVR has all of the credentials including NAMA member and BBB ratings.

I also know a women in that area. She is a solid vendor who is probably willing to take sometime to give you tips about vending. She is sharp and a great account closer no matter the size or type. She services the Sacramento area. I think any time you can find local vending folks to talk to and work with it helps. Of course, just reading all of the information provided on this forum certainly gets you going in the right direction.

If you would like some phone numbers, just PM me and I will forward the information.

Poplady1

Here is another reason to stay away from the biz-ops:

My link

These guys got me for 20K.

One of a number of boneheaded moves that nearly bankrupted me back in the mid-late 90's. These guys were from the Boston area, might have even been Steve's neighbors

LOL. technivend is closer to Boston and apparently he is selling thank you cards for around 5k.

Hmmm. ;)

Sent using Tapatalk for Android.

New question for everyone, I'm still doing my research and just found a route for sale that I'm interested in. I didn't understand everything the seller was trying to explain to me.

I need clarification of a few things:

1. what is a mechanical vs electric machine (these are snack and soda combos I believe)

2. seller wasn't sure of brand but what he knew was the person he purchased the route from called some machines Reno machines and some are Snack time machines, does this mean anything to anyone?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thank you,

Chris

New question for everyone, I'm still doing my research and just found a route for sale that I'm interested in. I didn't understand everything the seller was trying to explain to me.

I need clarification of a few things:

1. what is a mechanical vs electric machine (these are snack and soda combos I believe)

2. seller wasn't sure of brand but what he knew was the person he purchased the route from called some machines Reno machines and some are Snack time machines, does this mean anything to anyone?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thank you,

Chris

run away!

these are junk machines likely in low producing accounts.

dont buy any "mechanical" snack machines...and really dont buy any combo machines either.

I'm a newbie in the vending world and I have mostly agree with the comments about mechanical vending machines already. I bought 10 mechanical snack machines for $500 total. Four were on location and six are sitting in my shed. I won't ever place them because there is nowhere I'd rather have one of the mechanical machines than something else. I have however learned they are useful for one thing:

I will buy mechanical machines ON LOCATION for a very low price. Because the location has value and buying the already placed machine gets you in the door. Two of my located mechanical machines do rather well and these I plan to replace with full-size snack machines in time. Two don't do as well and these I intend to replace with honor boxes. In both cases I've gained the locations and can build relationships with the owners and then when I'm ready to make the replacements I can offer them an "upgrade".

I'm a newbie in the vending world and I have mostly agree with the comments about mechanical vending machines already. I bought 10 mechanical snack machines for $500 total. Four were on location and six are sitting in my shed. I won't ever place them because there is nowhere I'd rather have one of the mechanical machines than something else. I have however learned they are useful for one thing:

I will buy mechanical machines ON LOCATION for a very low price. Because the location has value and buying the already placed machine gets you in the door. Two of my located mechanical machines do rather well and these I plan to replace with full-size snack machines in time. Two don't do as well and these I intend to replace with honor boxes. In both cases I've gained the locations and can build relationships with the owners and then when I'm ready to make the replacements I can offer them an "upgrade".

what is rather well and what kind of locations are they all at? how much did you pay?

what is rather well and what kind of locations are they all at? how much did you pay?

I paid $50 each for them (both the ones on location and the ones in my garage - only the former was a good deal in hindsight). The good ones do $75 and $60 a month which IMHO is good for a 9-coil mechanical snack machine. I suspect both locations would do at least double the volume with a "real" full-size machine as they are high-traffic areas (truck stop and auto service shop).

As always very helpful information. I'm kind of thinking it might be worth the purchase for the locations (perhaps the machines don't have much value). The seller is willing to take me to see the route so I'll be able to see the machines and the locations and get a better understanding of exactly what is being sold. The route, according, to the seller is generating a decent income so it might be worth it to make an offer once I know more.

I'll check in again once I see it all. In the meantime I'm still excited to hear any other input.

As always very helpful information. I'm kind of thinking it might be worth the purchase for the locations (perhaps the machines don't have much value). The seller is willing to take me to see the route so I'll be able to see the machines and the locations and get a better understanding of exactly what is being sold. The route, according, to the seller is generating a decent income so it might be worth it to make an offer once I know more.

I'll check in again once I see it all. In the meantime I'm still excited to hear any other input.

what do you mean by a decent income? how much are they asking?

I paid $50 each for them (both the ones on location and the ones in my garage - only the former was a good deal in hindsight). The good ones do $75 and $60 a month which IMHO is good for a 9-coil mechanical snack machine. I suspect both locations would do at least double the volume with a "real" full-size machine as they are high-traffic areas (truck stop and auto service shop).

truck stop could probably do better, auto shop probably not. i am not saying thats

the top end of what an auto shop can do but putting a 35 select snack machine you might not see the revenue increase you think you would and prob not enough to justify the expense.

And yet another question. I'm going to look at some bulk candy vending machines today. They are triple heads by Ultra Vend various ages. Tell me about them. Any good? How much would you pay for each machine used?

Anxiously awaiting your responses.

Chris

And yet another question. I'm going to look at some bulk candy vending machines today. They are triple heads by Ultra Vend various ages. Tell me about them. Any good? How much would you pay for each machine used?

Anxiously awaiting your responses.

Chris

chris, try the bulk forum however most of what u will read there is that vending candy is not a strategy with staying power.

Archived