Living in Florida

Faith Vending

This is a question for you guys who live in Florida year round. How do you cope with the excessive heat and humidity? It gets hot and humid here in Michigan, is it like that all the time in Fla in the spring, summer? Living in a cold climate you can always add another layer; the humidity here can be very irritating. Do you ever get use to it? Just asking.

Jim

Yes I enjoy it shorts and teeshirt all

year. Anything below 70 is cold to me.

Amen. I don't live in Florida, but someday plan to retire to the Keys. I love summer all year round.

everything is expensive and if you need to go to a big box type of store you hjave to drive all the way to homestead

But the beautiful views can outweigh the negatives. Also, the peace and solitude is awesome if you stay away from Key West.

This is a question for you guys who live in Florida year round. How do you cope with the excessive heat and humidity? It gets hot and humid here in Michigan, is it like that all the time in Fla in the spring, summer? Living in a cold climate you can always add another layer; the humidity here can be very irritating. Do you ever get use to it? Just asking.

Jim

I dont think anyone ever gets completely use to the humidity. We do have a higher tolerance than people further north though. AC in your vehicle and house is a must! I will take humidity any day over the cold. I hate cold weather! Shorts and flip flops is the way to go, this year we have had about a total of 1 week of winter, temps have been in the 70's for most of january and so far all of february.

I dont think anyone ever gets completely use to the humidity. We do have a higher tolerance than people further north though. AC in your vehicle and house is a must! I will take humidity any day over the cold. I hate cold weather! Shorts and flip flops is the way to go, this year we have had about a total of 1 week of winter, temps have been in the 70's for most of january and so far all of february.

I'll attest to that. I went down south and worked with him last year and the humidity just about whipped me.

Of course 100+ temperatures didn't help matters. He runs a sweatshop anyways.

I'll attest to that. I went down south and worked with him last year and the humidity just about whipped me.

Of course 100+ temperatures didn't help matters. He runs a sweatshop anyways.

Then you need to come work in my sweatshop here in TX, its still 100 degrees but its a dry heat. :-*

Jim, I grew up in western Pennsylvania. The climate, culture and economy are very similar to Michigan. In fact, I think Pittsburgh is more of a mid-western city than an eastern city. Gloomie winters, blue collar work ethic and a dwindling manufacturing base. And roads always full of pot holes and generally in a state of disrepair!

You never really get used to the intense heat (mid-May to md-October, but just tolerate it. I get sick of the heat in September and early October. My mind is still programmed to that September cool down, but it never happens. Eventually, that cold front in mid to late October changes the climate and the next seven moths are pleasant

But the state has some different climate zones. The upper area (Tallahassee to Jacksonville) is more of a southeastern climate and will get hard freezes every year. The central area (Daytona to Orlando to Tampa) will still get cool in the winter nights, but we don't get those hard freezes every year. The south area (Palm Beach, Miami, Naples) is more tropical and rarely has a hard freeze.

But May to October will always be hot anywhere in the sunshine state. So pick your zone and throw away that snow shovel and ice scrapers! Also pick your politics as well. The further south you go, the more liberal (and unfriendly) it gets! If you bored, maybe you can be my first route driver! And there is no state or local income taxes either.

Jim, I grew up in western Pennsylvania. The climate, culture and economy are very similar to Michigan. In fact, I think Pittsburgh is more of a mid-western city than an eastern city. Gloomie winters, blue collar work ethic and a dwindling manufacturing base. And roads always full of pot holes and generally in a state of disrepair!

You never really get used to the intense heat (mid-May to md-October, but just tolerate it. I get sick of the heat in September and early October. My mind is still programmed to that September cool down, but it never happens. Eventually, that cold front in mid to late October changes the climate and the next seven moths are pleasant

But the state has some different climate zones. The upper area (Tallahassee to Jacksonville) is more of a southeastern climate and will get hard freezes every year. The central area (Daytona to Orlando to Tampa) will still get cool in the winter nights, but we don't get those hard freezes every year. The south area (Palm Beach, Miami, Naples) is more tropical and rarely has a hard freeze.

But May to October will always be hot anywhere in the sunshine state. So pick your zone and throw away that snow shovel and ice scrapers! Also pick your politics as well. The further south you go, the more liberal (and unfriendly) it gets! If you bored, maybe you can be my first route driver! And there is no state or local income taxes either.

Thanks all for the input. We are looking at Sarasota to Venice area. We have dodged a bullet up here this winter but it is not over yet and this has been a fluke winter. But there is always next year and the year after that and on and on. Humidity and heat are difficult to live with but 9 months of winter with no sun and icy snowy travel is depressing. Jax, I might look you up and take you up on your offer!! I'm surrounded by liberals and hard core union people so it can't get any worse there.

The CNN political map has southwest FL as mostly leaning "Libertarian" fiscal conservative. Southeast FL (West Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Miami) is ultra liberal and with some of the rudest people you will ever meet! Just drive on the roads down there and you will see what I mean. God forbid if you sit at a just-changed green light for half a second. There will be multiple horns beeping and people screaming at you! That's OK, I just throw my ABO-2012 bumper sticker at them!

Archived