Tax prep question

I started my bulk vending business in 2011 and this will be my first time reporting business income on my taxes. I already have my forms for sales tax, but I'm not sure what I do about the income tax part. My business is an unlicensed sole proprietorship (in my state sole proprietorships don't require a license). I'm assuming I will just report it as part of my individual income. But, can I report on my regular 1040 form, or do I need a special form for it?

I started my bulk vending business in 2011 and this will be my first time reporting business income on my taxes. I already have my forms for sales tax, but I'm not sure what I do about the income tax part. My business is an unlicensed sole proprietorship (in my state sole proprietorships don't require a license). I'm assuming I will just report it as part of my individual income. But, can I report on my regular 1040 form, or do I need a special form for it?

You will need to do a Schedule C- Profit or loss from business sole proprietorship

Will also need Schedule SE for self-employment tax

Possibly Form 4562 Depreciation and amortization if you are depreciating equipment instead of expensing it.

I don't believe the self-employment form is necessary if you aren't paying yourself anything from the business. My accountant never mentioned anything like that to me but that's probably because I don't get paid!

Which reminds me.... anyone hiring? I have quite a few skills such as stocking vending machines as well as fixing them. Just show me your best account and I will make sure they are super happy by whatever means necessary, especially if you haven't been keeping them very happy!

if you arent sure, go see a professional tax preparer, even if you are sure, you probably arent getting the refund you could be.

you need to see someone who specializes in small biz and/or 1099 income,they know how to minimize your liability. dont go to H&R block or athat type of place. if need be ask one of your locations who they use.

Archived