What are your favorite coin-mech and validator brands?

AngryChris

Favorite brands of coin-mechs AND validators  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite coin-mech?

• Coinco coin-mech
    • Mars coin-mech
    • Conlux coin-mech
  2. 2. What is your favorite validator?

• Coinco validator
    • Mars validator
    • Conlux validator

Please specify which brands of coin mechs and validators you like (or specify the models) and why.

Personally, I am becoming quite fond of the coinco 9302-GX coin-mechs but I like the coinco 9300 series in general.

I don't have a preference on validators.

I prefer the Mars VN2500 series for validators (programming them is a breeze with simple dipswitch settings) and the conlux CCM5G series coin acceptors because of the ease of cartridge replacement.

Travis

I also like these however I only have one conlux coin mech.I have 2 coinco 6000's and one quit working right so I had to replace it with a Mars 4500.

John

The 9302-GX is an okay mech, and is REALLY cheap just about everywhere which makes it an economical changer. I don't have a single Coinco in any machine I own. Its all Mars. I have one machine that has newer Conlux units. The only reason I left them in because they were brand new in a Bev Max I bought. Mars 2500 validators are the best.

Mars coin mechs are great. Coinco's are not tunable in the field; that's why I don't like them. Their acceptance problems, and the fact that you have to send them to a service center with the right software is so annoying. Mars mechs are tunable in the machine at the location. Its always been easier for me to put whatever I want in my machines, because I'll buy units like the CF-7512 for $30 untested in quantity then fix them and resell/use them. I have two fully equipped service benches, so it makes it easy.

I still want to have a vendor on this forum who likes the Coinco Guardian or the Conlux 5 changer, to get a Mars 7512, and match it against the Conlux or Guardian. Run it for a year or two and provide feedback on its performance. I might consider giving one away for free just to make the superiority point. Anyone interested in being the guinea pig?

For the vast majority of vendors needs the Conlux is a better value for them. There is a reason that MEI felt a need to purchase them.

Can you please explain further why you think that Conlux is better value for the majority of vendor's? Which model Conlux are you referring too the CCM5 or the new MCM5?

Both, they are a basic coin mech that does it's job well with little muss or fuss. Most vendors are not using the float, accountability and other features that the more elaborate units offer. Why pay for what you do not use?

Both, they are a basic coin mech that does it's job well with little muss or fuss. Most vendors are not using the float, accountability and other features that the more elaborate units offer. Why pay for what you do not use?

It's interesting you say that. I am not sure that I have ever used any of these features or ever had a need for them. I am assuming that the accounting feature is regarding the actual amount of coins that have entered the mech and exited the mech and not the typical machine accounting which shows various sales data.

A local distributor here sells conlux mechs and validators brand new for cheap due to other vendors wanting specifically MEI/Coinco in their new equipment which leaves the conlux mech/validator combo just sitting on the shelf. I'll buy them!

I still want to have a vendor on this forum who likes the Coinco Guardian or the Conlux 5 changer, to get a Mars 7512, and match it against the Conlux or Guardian. Run it for a year or two and provide feedback on its performance. I might consider giving one away for free just to make the superiority point. Anyone interested in being the guinea pig?

I'd love to use that mech for review purposes but I don't think I have an account that would really justify it. I think you need a good, dirty, high-volume blue collar location to REALLY see just how reliable and how durable it is.

Thanks for answering my question & I totally agree with you on NOT paying for features that don't get used.. I have always liked the look of Conlux since they were the first to come out with a 5 tube mech but have never used one personally as we don't have a Conlux agent here in NZ. Maybe I need to look into it to see if I can import direct from the USA or Japan if they make a mech for our currency.

Can you tell me if the Conlux mech's are able to be serviced/repaired easily or are they similar to Coinco where you need the software to tune them? I see on your website that you service MEI, Coinco & Conlux so was wondering on the service side which mech you would say would be the easiest to work on?

Sorry for all the question's but I don't really no alot about coin mech's & neither do most of our service agents here who repair them. With the exception of Coinco who on a positive side provide good sales, service & back up support but on a negative are located at the other end of the country so usually cost more in freight than repairs which is why alot of people have stopped using them.

We struggle to even get hold of MEI who I rang 10 times last week & am still waiting for them to return my calls. Even when they do they struggle to fix any issue's we have as there main tech who had been there for the last 10 years left recently & the new guy seems to know less than I do. Thanks again for your advice as I always find your opinions very interesting!

I am not aware of any quick tune feature like on the MEI or Coinco units. However non of these are difficult to repair with the right knowledge and equipment. If there is a need in your area talk to the manufacturer and learn the right way. Yes, anyone can quick tune a coin mech but isn't what a complete repair is all about.

I am not aware of any quick tune feature like on the MEI or Coinco units. However non of these are difficult to repair with the right knowledge and equipment. If there is a need in your area talk to the manufacturer and learn the right way. Yes, anyone can quick tune a coin mech but isn't what a complete repair is all about.

Where do you suggest is the best place to start for someone wanting to gain the knowledge on how to repair coin mech's? Do you need to go to the manufacturer or is there some sort of online training videos/books available?

I don't know of any online training for these repairs. Then again I have never needed to look and I would guess there probably is a youtube vid somewhere on it. The best place is always with the manufacturer to learn about their equipment. Anyone can repair a validator or coin mech but in todays electronic world there is proprietory software that makes these repairs harder to do properly without the right equipment. It's almost like cars. Back in the 70's it was easy enough to rejet a carb, change your ignition timing, port and polish an intake or head. Nowadays that everything is controlled electronically one change in any of this changes the mapping of so many other variables. Can it be done? Sure but it does not mean it will be the best answer.

The internet also allows people to source parts that may or may not be as good as the manufacturers. It is easy enough to order belts online. All you need to know is the size, pitch, length and tensile strength of the belt and you are done. The one thing that is overlooked is the most important part for a validator, the friction side of the belt. You know, the part that pulls the bills in. Most belt makers do not really care about this as for the most part it is not important to them. Connectors are another issue. The low voltage and small amperage that we use in our components do not like a high voltage/amperage switch. There is not enough electricity passing through these to allow for a larger then spec'd switch to work 100% properly. So sourcing this is not as easy as most people think. Can it be done, sure it can but most people miss the boat when they do it.

There is a cheap repair and then there is a cost effective repair. If a unit fails, even under warranty, more then a more expensive repair it is not a cost effective repair.

So the short answer, if you can get in with manufacturer it is always the best way. You will learn more and be better equipped to do an excellent job and not just the job.

Me, I'm partial to the Mars validators just picked up another 10 2500's flashed for the new $5 bills.

For coin mechs I guess I'm ambiguous, had a lot of coinco's in my early years and had pretty good luck with them. As I have upgraded into the newer MDB equipment I have had more Mars and Conlux and again no real complaints. I will add that with all the upgrades to $5 acceptance that I'm pretty much done with 3 tube mechs, whatever the brand.

Me, I'm partial to the Mars validators just picked up another 10 2500's flashed for the new $5 bills.

For coin mechs I guess I'm ambiguous, had a lot of coinco's in my early years and had pretty good luck with them. As I have upgraded into the newer MDB equipment I have had more Mars and Conlux and again no real complaints. I will add that with all the upgrades to $5 acceptance that I'm pretty much done with 3 tube mechs, whatever the brand.

That's odd. I feel like I have had less luck with 4-tube changers than 3-tube changers in terms of MDB... but the classic style MEI 4-tube changer is so convenient for large accounts with its pull-out tubes.

That's odd. I feel like I have had less luck with 4-tube changers than 3-tube changers in terms of MDB... but the classic style MEI 4-tube changer is so convenient for large accounts with its pull-out tubes.

Need the 4th tube to keep mech from running out when accepting 5's

BTW, this has been a great thread, one of the most substantive discussions in a while in this section.

Looks like Mars is winning decisively. Its been that way about everywhere I've ever seen. I have a local vendor right now who likes Mars so much, he is upgrading his 200+ machines with all Mars 2500 series validators as fast as either I can get them for him, or he can afford them. Seems to be the general story with a lot of my customers these days.

Need the 4th tube to keep mech from running out when accepting 5's

BTW, this has been a great thread, one of the most substantive discussions in a while in this section.

Excellent point on the 5's. I'm glad this thread turned out as well as it did. I was only expecting mostly polling data but the feedback is awesome for the entire full-line community! This thread is actually an off-shoot of a previous thread and I plan on throwing a few more polls out there in the future if they relate to a current topic.

For the vast majority of vendors needs the Conlux is a better value for them. There is a reason that MEI felt a need to purchase them.

When you say Conlux is better value are you referring to both their Mech & DBV or just their mech?

I also wanted to say THANKS for your earlier responses.. I have contacted Conlux about their mech's & am waiting for their reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

MEI for me in both cases, however I think this post should have included Apex note acceptors!. The new Apex note acceptors I find are very good and I am increasing my purchases of these particular acceptors which are very keenly priced.

Archived