drilling a cam lock

dogcow

just picked up a multicade te lock on the coin mech had been vandalized the lock cylinder doenst line up with the outside of the lock so theres no way to get the key in, i assume it will need to be drilled. any tips or suggestions? do i just shove the drill in the lock cylinder and go to town until it opens? whats a good sized bit to use? this is a standard arcade coin door cam lock with the arm ,etc.. etc.. u all prob know what im talking about,.

344doy9.jpg

Use a corded drill and a 11/32 or bigger drill bit. Make sure to keep it lubricated with some WD40. Just drill until it opens. It will either open because you drilled all the pins and allow the lock to turn (with a screwdriver) or you may have to drill all the way through until the back of the lock comes off. Its fairly easy but may take a few minutes of drilling. Make sure you apply as much pressure as possible.

drilling the locks is easy with the right tools

Drilling those locks takes a bit of pressure amd good shop vac will cut down on metal shavings and speed up driling

I use these type bits..

http://www.harborfre...ills-91616.html

thier shape and size changes help go thru the toughest of locks in seconds with a corded drill

helps to leave the shop vac on near the lock sucking shavings up while you drill

if you use standard drill bits

i start with larger drill bit almost the size of the keyhole i drill in for about a 1/4 inch

then i switch to a 1/4 in drill bit and punch right thru like butter

the shop vac does help and it gets rid of the chance of metal splinters and metal cuts on fingers and the deaded how long does a tetanus shot last?

it takes about 20 seconds with the two drill bit method

bill

Just curious -- Why recommend a "corded drill"?

I've only had to drill 2 locks.

Both times in my garage -- so corded drill was what I used.

However, if I needed to drill out a lock on location, I think I'd prefer to take my cordless for the job.

Torque and power,

I assumed this machine was in his shop or garage and not on location.

I have cordless drills and when it comes to drilling thru metal,

i usually go corded big torque and endless power bigger grip/handles for more pressure

bill

It looks like i am going to have to drill a camlock on location today. I havent decided, if I do I will have to go buy a drill, bits and camlock from lowes. Im not sure why it wont open its the first time I have had this style to not work, I dont see evidence of any tampering.

if you have the key to the lock. will.vend

try some oil in the lock first like wd40 spray it in. then insert the key and wiggle in out a few times spray again

to get the oil around. bring paper towel for overspray

95% of all locks will open that way.

then treat stuck locks like a car steering wheel locked and you cant turn the key in a car untill you pull the wheel left-right to take the pressure off the keylock

on a stuck lock in a arcade if oil does not get it open

push in on the door hard and wiggle the key use a knife small screwdriver to put pull pressure on the door and wiggle the key

same works for all bulk vendors. left right a stuck key after a little oil

i have issues with the imported cranes fake abloy lock keys i am constantly having to wiggle those keys

bill

bill thanks, i have a $15 harbor freight pneumatic drill,should have enough power to do the job. ill pick up those bits and give it a try, im going to try taking off the back of the cabinet first and see if its accessable it may be easier that way im not sure.

bill thanks, i have a $15 harbor freight pneumatic drill,should have enough power to do the job. ill pick up those bits and give it a try, im going to try taking off the back of the cabinet first and see if its accessable it may be easier that way im not sure.

Since you obviously buy from Harbor Freight, don't delay in buying those step-bits bill linked to.

They are AWESOME.

About 1/5 the cost of brand name step-bits and they work just as well.

A fully charged battery may be sufficient to complete the process but a backup battery may be required. Also I think corded drills generally have more torque.

I use a cordless impact they work great.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I use a cordless impact they work great.

The recommendation for a corded drill to get max torque makes sense for most cordless drills.

But, an impact drill from a respectable mfr should work fine.

If/when I have to drill out a lock on location, I will take my cordless, too.

I can't see myself having problems, it's an 18v Dewalt.

That drill also happens to share a case with an 18v Dewalt impact drill, too....in case I need it.

But, I doubt I will.

The regular Dewalt drill is as capable as any corded drill I've ever owned when it comes to torque.

I've yet to see anything that regular Dewalt drill can't handle.

And I don't like using corded tools away from home.

BUT, I wouldn't trust the job to just any cordless.

If I didn't have a heavy duty Dewalt, I'd take the advice above and use a corded drill on-location.

if you have the key to the lock. will.vend

try some oil in the lock first like wd40 spray it in. then insert the key and wiggle in out a few times spray again

to get the oil around. bring paper towel for overspray

95% of all locks will open that way.

then treat stuck locks like a car steering wheel locked and you cant turn the key in a car untill you pull the wheel left-right to take the pressure off the keylock

on a stuck lock in a arcade if oil does not get it open

push in on the door hard and wiggle the key use a knife small screwdriver to put pull pressure on the door and wiggle the key

same works for all bulk vendors. left right a stuck key after a little oil

i have issues with the imported cranes fake abloy lock keys i am constantly having to wiggle those keys

bill

you know how when something wont work so you leave it alone amd go back to it later...well I did and the lock worked fine. A coupla things happened 1) it was after 8pm when I got there and 2) I ground the *** off of the key so it will come out and apparently I didnt put it in right. I glad I didnt drill it.

Since you obviously buy from Harbor Freight, don't delay in buying those step-bits bill linked to.

They are AWESOME.

About 1/5 the cost of brand name step-bits and they work just as well.

yeah HF is hit and miss some of thier stuff is absolute JUNK ( i am looking at you tabletop blast cabinet) and some of it is a fantastic value for the money. i tend to buy things that are hard to mess, screw drivers , drill bits, gloves ,shop towels , pad locks that kind of thing...

but stuff like their powder coating gun,it is a real piece of junk. some of their power tools ive tried have been junk as well.

now that were on this subject

let me share some important advice / lessons learned

if you ever have to drill locks on a machine.

DRILL THE COIN MECH ACCEPTOR DOOR FIRST!!!

Let me explain from 2 lessions one was this week...

I purchased a used Lax Rotory 4 player arcade no keys

4 coin doors and 1 side extra stock door and 1 cashbox door 6 locks

I drilled the coin box first hoping for a score of loot ... nope

drilled the second compartment hoping for loot or fill product... nothing..

drilled thru 3 coin mech doors when i got to the coin mech above the cashbox

there was all the keys hanging on a hook next to the coin mech on the inside,

the only lock that was diffrent was the one above the cashbox so i drilled 4 locks for no reason.

I purchased a used dynamo air hockey a week ago no keys.

same thing drilled the cashbox... drilled the control panel's 2 locks

then the coin door with the control panels keys hanging inside...

so dont be greedy like me and remember to drill the coin door first and hunt for keys.

left on the inside.

bill

now that were on this subject

let me share some important advice / lessons learned

if you ever have to drill locks on a machine.

DRILL THE COIN MECH ACCEPTOR DOOR FIRST!!!

Let me explain from 2 lessions one was this week...

I purchased a used Lax Rotory 4 player arcade no keys

4 coin doors and 1 side extra stock door and 1 cashbox door 6 locks

I drilled the coin box first hoping for a score of loot ... nope

drilled the second compartment hoping for loot or fill product... nothing..

drilled thru 3 coin mech doors when i got to the coin mech above the cashbox

there was all the keys hanging on a hook next to the coin mech on the inside,

the only lock that was diffrent was the one above the cashbox so i drilled 4 locks for no reason.

I purchased a used dynamo air hockey a week ago no keys.

same thing drilled the cashbox... drilled the control panel's 2 locks

then the coin door with the control panels keys hanging inside...

so dont be greedy like me and remember to drill the coin door first and hunt for keys.

left on the inside.

bill

I know this is also true for bounce-a-roo machines. The keys for the glob are hanging in the coin box..

Archived